Camaro flowmaster muffler mod.. by Team Race-Tech
Started on: 02-22-2008 02:49 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 08-20-2008 08:50 AM
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
I took the liberty to cut 4" out of a flowmaster muffler today. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how does this sound like... I may use this, if not it will be for sale..

Joe
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I have personally installed 3 different Flowmaster 80 series mufflers (F Body Style) in to 3 different Fieros, two 4 cyl's and one V6 with no fitment issues.

Why cut one up?
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
well, i placed one up in the fiero once and noticed that it was a little to long. I figured it would be difficult to get the angeled piping to curve coming out of the muffler and then to the tips. I thought if the stock muffler is 12" in length why not shorten the flowmwster muffler to 12" in length? By doing so I'll be able to get better exhaust flow with mandrel 2.5" tubing... I was able to cut one today, I took some pic's of the before I welded, but once it was finished the battery died in my camera. I'll have some pic's tomorrow when i go into work.

this first pic. is the muffler cut into three..

this second pic. is a view of the inside.

this third one is with the outer in place

the last two pic's is the final product, you can see by the last pic. the 4" piece removed.

I should have the picture tomorrow of the two parts welded together. Sorry my camera ram out of batter power.

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

personal e-mail: joetrentadue@hotmail.com
MSN : joetrentadue@hotmail.com

Work e-mail: teamracetech@hotmail.com
MSN: teamracetech@hotmail.com

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Don't they make these different lengths?
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
okay got the other picture of the finished product.

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
They do come in different lengths but most of the shorter ones are single in on one side and the two out lets are on the other side making the tail pipes a pain to make. Dan
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I have seen it done before... I cant really remember where.
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
I never thought of doing that. Good idea. I wonder what the sound "difference will be"?? Keep us posted on how that thing sounds.

I just removed the bottom portion of my trunk in my replica to use the OEM size F-body 80 series. (just to give it a bit more room.)

------------------
I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm flying too low.

250rider3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 250rider3Send a Private Message to 250rider3Direct Link to This Post
Bump cause im interested in what a flowmaster (any flowmaster) exaust sounds like on a fiero. (for me a four cylinder) Thanks!
SpeedDemon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedDemonSend a Private Message to SpeedDemonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I have seen it done before... I cant really remember where.

Ditto. Was it West Coast Fieros selling them?

Chris
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
that turned out really nice! Good work
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:

Ditto. Was it West Coast Fieros selling them?

Chris

If I recall, I thought I saw it in one of Loydes build threads, but I could be wrong.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
So far the best sound is a Spintech. IMHO

------------------

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
This photo illustrates how my Flow Master was modified to be package in basically stock position, without any changes to the trunk sheet metal. Also there is enough room between muffler and wall of trunk to place a thin flat 1/4 in stepped stainless steel "pocket", to hold a 16 in x 8 x 1/4 in thick heat shield material (fiber with one side alum face). You just screw the metal narrow pocket to the trunk wall and drop the pad inside from the top. This was done on my 88 GT, fits nicely between crade and trunk. The inlet was modified to 3 in. and the 2 1/2 in. outlets were fabricated to exit to stock trumpets location. The mandrel bends on both sides have a good even radius, believe it is a series 80, but not positive.

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 02-25-2008).]

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to get around this week to install the muffler, I need to get a converter and a pair of tips.

Joe

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
did you ever install this setup if so how did it sound?
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
This Is To The T What i Did ..I Took A little Less Off The Muffler Though ..
Pic Taken With Cell Camera .. ..i Dont Know Why I Dont Carry My Digital Around With Me !!

You Can Kinda See The Muffler ..Sounds Alot Lower lol If That Makes Sense ...Guy At The Shop Said He Never Heard A Fiero Sound Like That .. I Also Had A New Pipe Put In ..2.5 Inch Pipe From The Y Pipe Down...

I Will Getting Getting A Custom Made Y Pipe As Well.. When I Finally Get Around To Getting My Headers Coated ..

EDIT: The Reason i Was Back At The Shop Was To Get The Tip Fixed lol ..Im Sure You Will All Notice

------------------
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

[This message has been edited by ZeroC (edited 08-20-2008).]

mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any sound clips or videos of yours? Also where'd you get those tips they look pretty good.
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
No Sound Clips Or Videos ..There From Pilot MotorSports..Had Them Sitting In My Garage For Years ..lol
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a flow master 80 on my gt. The only thing we modified was the inlets and outlets we cut them back for a better curve going out to the tips. It sits up in the stock position without a problem. Its not even visible unless you stick you head under the car. It sounds really deep and not very 2.8 like at all. I've had at least 2 people yell light it up at me when going through a parking lot.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:
I've had at least 2 people yell light it up at me when going through a parking lot.

thats because you were doing 80 and almost ran them over :P j/k

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock