Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Free Air sub woofers in fiero, any good?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Free Air sub woofers in fiero, any good? by NickD3.4
Started on: 02-22-2008 04:16 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: darkhorizon on 02-23-2008 12:18 AM
NickD3.4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried free air subs behind the seat, or somewhere in a fiero, since these don't need a box. If yes, did they sound good? I was also wondering if the fiero OEM sub, the 5" little guy is any good? I've heard they are surprisingly rich sounding.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
i did it for shits and giggles and it sounded like poop, the speaker would bottom out or what ever youd like to call it. i say build a correctly sized box and call it good
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
thanks!
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Free air subs have their purpose, and unfortunately, this is not it. You will be far better off replacing the factory 5" sub with a quality 5.25" sub powered by a decent external amplifier (don't use the stock one). If you need a lot more bass than that, put a quality 8" or 10" sub in the center console and call it a day.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
I figured as much, WCF fieros has that center console box. looks worth it.
thanks
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
FYI, the reason "free air" or "infinite baffle" subs don't work in a Fiero is because they still need a "box" of sorts to separate the front waves from the back waves of the woofer, albeit a really HUGE box, like the size of a trunk or a closet.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
True, you can't just hang the speaker from a string in free air and expect it to sound good. What they really are saying is that it works in a really really large box like a trunk like cjgable said.

I don't recommend it, but if you were to cut a hole all the way through the firewall and mount it then it would probably sound okay....while parked. But you would also expose yourself to heat, exhaust fumes, and with the huge breach in the firewall, well...uh fire.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
If you dont have A/C anymore, you can pipe alot of sound from the front to the cab....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock