My Horney issue by Tiny
Started on: 02-20-2008 07:14 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: JazzMan on 02-21-2008 09:02 AM
Tiny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
ok now that I have your attention...

I've given up on search for this issue it doesn't seem to have any threads on my problem. ok so my 87 GT the horn works wonderfully except sometimes it goes off by itself at first it would happen if you bumped the wheel while getting out of the car with the wheel locked, but now it happens at times when i turn the wheel driveing. Its usualy when i'm exerting additional force on the wheel like slow speed turns such as pulling into a parking space but will happen every once and awhile when i hit a bump. I'm guessing its grounding out somewhere i just am not sure how big of a deal its gonna be to dig in to the colum to fix this or could i be lucky and have it be a horn cap to tight which would just require me to put on my new momo steering wheel?

Any input is greatly appreactiated

------------------
S.A.R.S. Drive it like you stole it

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
The horn "button" is a little rod with a spring and plastic retaining clip, check to see if the spring is still strong, or present. I don't know if thats the answer but worth a look, the cap comes off with a quick flick of the wrist. (assuming this isn't a horn pad wheel).
Tiny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
sorry should have specified better... yeah its not the paddle style. I'll grab a flat head screwdriver and check it out tomorrow after work. neighbors will get pissed if i'm out in the car with a horn blaring trying to fix it tonight.

could it be gounding out somwhere or would that not cause this effect?

------------------

tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
it's quick n easy to check the button assembly, worth the time. often on tilt wheel cars you will get issues like this due to the flexing of the harness in the column. Especially true if former owners were the type that always popped the wheel up and down to get in and out....
Tiny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

it's quick n easy to check the button assembly, worth the time. often on tilt wheel cars you will get issues like this due to the flexing of the harness in the column. Especially true if former owners were the type that always popped the wheel up and down to get in and out....

lol i'm one of those owners guess i must have more gurth than the rest of the fiero freaks on here :-)

------------------

iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
ha ha that always funny. everytime my dad gets in my car its 5 minutes of "how the hell do you drive this car" or "how the hell do you get in this car" as he fumbles with the wheel to get int. im about 135 and have a foot of clearence between me and the wheel. the only thing that sucks is when you have the wheel in between your knees....
Tiny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iamtylerdurden:

ha ha that always funny. everytime my dad gets in my car its 5 minutes of "how the hell do you drive this car" or "how the hell do you get in this car" as he fumbles with the wheel to get int. im about 135 and have a foot of clearence between me and the wheel. the only thing that sucks is when you have the wheel in between your knees....

well i'm a lil more than twice that so tell your dad I feel his pain but I love the car so much. I used to keep the wheel down when getting in/out but when the horn started acting funny i started flipping the tilt wheel up cause i would occasionaly bump the wheel and have the horn go crazy.

------------------

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Actually, while in the fiero I can understand it, if you don't use my technique for getting in and out, I'm all legs and no matter where I put the wheel I'll smack it, so I put one foot close to the door jam, turn and sit (controlled fall) and swing my legs under. when I get out, I put my left hand on the rocker panel, left foot out and roll out to a standing position. then if anyone is in the car, walk around and haul their butts out, cause no one seems to be able to get out, steering wheel or not!

One specific case I saw the guy used the tilt in a cherokee. was not a big guy, just liked to flip the wheel up when he got out. in 2 years, he started having problems with shorts, opens and wierdness. I know of others who experienced the same in other cars, so factor in a 20 year old car, and it's no surprise that things like this happen.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Pull the horn button and then remove the plunger and retainer:

Then go drive it again. If the problem persists then it's in the turn signal switch mechanism or, less likely, the wiring through the column. The wiring is very well protected so unless previous repairs damaged it the wiring is usually the last place to look.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock