Clutch peddle is soft, hard to engage clutch by kawana
Started on: 02-20-2008 01:44 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: kawana on 02-22-2008 08:54 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Just like it says. I just got my Master and slave cyl's replaced less than 2000km's ago because i lost all pressure on the clutch peddle. Im not sure if im looking at the right spot, but whats the thing in the front compartment on the drivers side, is that the master cyl? The fluid level is way below ADD, i never thought i would have to check it so soon after getting the work done. Its quite low, and its black, is that how its supposed to look? Do i have a leak somewhere that would cause the fluid level to drop so much in only 2000ish KM's? I checked the carpet right by the peddles and its dry, no fluids around the master cyl (or what i believe is the master cyl).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
the clutch fluid is in a little round cylinder in the corner closest to the windshield on the drivers side. if its low fill it up or else you wont get any line pressure. you may still have a leak but its quite a pain to bleed out all of the air. read up on how to bleed the clutch lines and do that at the end of each day just to make sure.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
k i think im looking at the correct spot then, just checked the lid and it says "fill with Dot3 brake fluid"... why does it say brake fluid?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much every car with a hydrolic clutch uses brake fluid, its just a good substitute for a special clutch fluid that would have the same properties anyway.

If its going down, you have a leak, and if fluid can get out, air can get in. You probably have some air in the line allready if the pedal is soft. The fluid is black because you probably didnt get all the old corroded fluid out before replacing the cyls, which is a must, it absorbs moisture and will rust the system from the inside.

I would check all your fittings first, if they're not moist, check the slave boot, squeeze it and see if there is moisture inside. If not there, sometimes the flex line at the back will leak. You could park it over cardboard and pump the clutch then let it sit and see if you get any spots.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
arg... Ok my knowledge about this stuff is limited so can you tell me where the fittings are that i should check. Im ticked that the mechanic didn't get all the old stuff out first. How hard would it be for me to flush it all out and replace it, keep im in mind my tools are limited, as is my knowledge.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
can i top it up with new stuff and keep driving it until the weekend when i have more time to flush it out?
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
k i just topped it up and its back to normal, ill keep an eye on the fluid level each day and do a complete flush this weekend. Can someone direct me to a tutorial on flushing the fluid?
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

k i just topped it up and its back to normal, ill keep an eye on the fluid level each day and do a complete flush this weekend. Can someone direct me to a tutorial on flushing the fluid?

There are many many ways to bleed the clutch if you do a search on the topic. However here are a couple of more in depth ones.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-065076.html
http://www.v8archie.com/arch4.htm
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that helps. but where is the slave cyl, and where does that length of hose go? (from slave cyl to bottle)
Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

Thanks, that helps. but where is the slave cyl, and where does that length of hose go? (from slave cyl to bottle)

As your looking at the engine the slave is the little cylindrical thing just to the left, and right above the transaxle (removing the air hose makes it much easier to get at). It has a small rod sticking out the side pointed toward the engine. This rod pushes against a lever sticking out of the transaxle.

The hose (make sure it's clear sou you can see air bubbles as they come out) connects to the bleed screw on the slave, which is located to the far left end of the slave...on the top side. The other end of the hose can go wherever you want to set the bottle down at (it doesn't really matter)

Make sure you follow Archie's instructions on how to bleed the slave itself. The first clutch line I bled wouldn't work untill I went to Archie's and did what he said.

[This message has been edited by Justin_J (edited 02-21-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks, i think i see it, ill try doing this tomorrow and hope it goes well.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock