4.9 SWAP by sc2m6
Started on: 02-18-2008 05:05 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: jscott1 on 02-18-2008 05:16 PM
sc2m6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc2m6Send a Private Message to sc2m6Direct Link to This Post
HEY EVERYONE!! I need some help... I have an 84 se 4 speed. I now have a place to work on my fiero and I want to do a swap. my grandmother has a caddy with the 4.9 in it. and my brother has a camaro with a nice 2.8 in it. I would really like to do the 4.9 swap. in comparison to both which would benifit better? (easier). is the 4.9 even worth a crap? the motor doesnt have many miles on it and the 2.8 has about 100k on it. what should i do? is the 4.9 harder to swap then the 2.8 and can i use my 4speed? any help would be nice I would just like everyones advice on the subject
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The 4.9 is an awesome upgrade from the 2.5 4 cylinder engine. Since it wasn't designed for the Fiero, obviously there is some effort to installing it. A RWD 2.8 is not exactly going to drop in either. In both cases you need engine mounts, wiring, and exhaust.

Your 4 speed is never going to be able to handle the power of the 4.9 so you would probably want to convert to auto and use the auto that came with it. Otherwise start shopping for a new transmission, flywheel, clutch, and axles, plus the associated shifter, shift cables, and slave cylinder. Definitely the more expensive route.

I wouldn't bother with the 2.8 upgrade, especially on an 84, since they were never intended to have a V6 you are going to run into more wiring and fitment issue. If you are going to do all that, you might as well go with a stronger engine.

That's just my $0.02
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock