So my 88GT... by UCFieroCharger
Started on: 02-18-2008 12:59 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mr.PBody on 02-19-2008 11:22 PM
UCFieroCharger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
Ok, well to start this off I have a few problems, but lets tackle them 1 at a time. I refuse to throw money and parts at the problem, but I am willing to do some diagnostic stuff and figure it out. so, i wanna run what Ive come to assume by you guys first to see what you think. Its an 88 v6 5spd with 120k miles and probably all original parts aside from basic maintenance stuff. It has had a good tune up.

I am getting absolutly NO engine codes.

1. I have a small exhaust leak AND a plugged cat. I know this because i have a low thumping noise comming from a muffled exhaust sound, and the headers glow after idling for just a short bit of time. I am just goign to cut it out and put a straight piece of pipe in for now until I am ready to run headers back.

2. I have a high idle. The previous owner told me he thought it was from a vacuum leak around the EGR tube. The car idles around 2400 rpms. it will go down to around 16-1800 after it warms up, but its still way too high. I also think im running a little rich which would kinda fall in line with this.

3. I also think the fuel pump may be going out. (I thought typically that when a pump goes out, it goes out, but I could be wrong) I am getting this horrible moaning coming from it seems right below the center console sad excuse for a glove box. The noise comes and goes, typically at lower rpms, but is not consistent with the engine speed. The noise is barely noticable outside the car, but inside it is very loud. I even tried opening the hood/decklid to see if that gave any hint as to where it is coming from, but it didnt. The voltmeter also takes a little hit when the noise starts.

The car also stalled today at a light. it fired right back up, but It was something I definitly was not expecting especially considering the high idle.

4. I am getting my volts light lighting up. well it flickers. I think the alternator is gogin bad, its not low volts, but high. I've seen it spike up to the 18 mark. It also did rain today if that makes a difference to anyone.

These are the first few problems that I am having, If anyone has any opinions on what Ive said (agree, disagree, unsure about my diagnosis, please let me know.) I not only refuse to throw money at the problem, I cannot afford to throw money at the problem, Although I will spend money to get it fixed if thats what it needs. Thanks

------------------

www.USBcar.com<--Car Flash drives.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Im not sure how I can help, you seem to have everything figured out allready.

The small exhaust leak, where at? Manifold? Its not really going to hurt much.

The high idle, the EGR tube is a VERY common leak, check it out. If you have a vac leak, it would be running lean, and the glowing manifolds would indicate this as well.

I wouldnt worry about the fuel pump, I've had several that make noise like that, its nothing.

As for the stall, old cars stall sometimes, lol, if thats you're biggest drivability problem, you're far better off than most of us. If it starts happening a lot, then you can worry about it.
UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I always like to try and figure the stuff out before I bug you guys on here

The only reason why the fuel pump concerns me is because of how loud it is. (still assuming its the fuel pump) AND the fact that it stalled when it was running around 2000 rpms.

And also I have little experience on THIS gm v6 so I wanted to see what everyone else thought.
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
How much gas you got in that thing? My pump whines like a biotch when Im low on petrol.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
High idle is 99.9% a vacuum leak of some sort. The one time it wasn't a leak it was a throttle plate not fully closing which is kind of a vacuum leak but harder to find. Several methods to finding the leak (hissing noise): mechanics stethoscope, rubber tube placed close to your ear while you move the other end around the engine, water sprayed at various suspected areas to listen for a change in RPM, flammable sprays used the same way but the RPM's go up when the leak is found (kind of risky on a hot engine), even using an unlit propane torch to feed propane around the engine listening for a rise in RPM as the propane is sucked into the running engine (again risky). You can eliminate the EGR tube as a suspect if you block off the tube where it enters the upper intake. Use an aluminum can cut to fit. 2 or 3 layers will seal up that passage nicely.

Verify the alternator output voltage with a multimeter set to DC Volts placed at the battery. If the alternator is really outputting more that 14.4 volts to your battery then I would suspect a bad voltage regulator. You can rebuild our alternators fairly easy though. Or check for a local rebuilder. I can get mine rebuilt locally for $35. I have paid as much as $90 for an import rebuild but the GM ones are cheap.
UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

How much gas you got in that thing? My pump whines like a biotch when Im low on petrol.

Im just around half a tank on the gauge, so about 1/3 of a tank. It didnt make any noise today, but I only had it running for like 10 min.

Thanks for the tips on finding the leaks. I will see what I c an find.

------------------

www.USBcar.com<--Car Flash drives.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UCFieroCharger:

I am getting absolutly NO engine codes.

Not even a code 12? Code 12 is No EST Signal from the ignition module, and since the only way to pull codes is with the engine off (and thereby no EST signal) you'll always get a code 12.

If you're not getting a 12 and the car will run then either the CEL is bad or the circuit to it is bad. If it lights up when you crank the car then the circuit is bad.

JazzMan
UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
Well, im getting a code 12, but thats it.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Hudini miss one other check for leaks.
Pull the air duct from the TB and put your finger over the Idle air hole in the bottom of the TB.
If you have a leak the engine will keep running. If your leak is not very bad the engine should die.
Then you know it might be something other than a leak...
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Hey man I am local with an 88GT if you need any help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock