Gauges? by Fino
Started on: 02-16-2008 07:32 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Fino on 03-17-2008 02:48 PM
Fino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I am redoing my dash to a retro look using the VDO Cockpit Royale Series Analog white. I am looking for indicator lights to use in the dash. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get something different that just a light for the turn signals ect?

Thank you
Ed

------------------
Fino
www.feroce.net
Member National Kit Car Club www.kitcarclub.com
Lifetime Member CFOGi (Lot of good that does me)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Are you looking for something to replace all the idiot lights? I don't really have anything in mind, but I'll keep it in mind. Don't forget to have the light to excite your alternator if your alternator requires it.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Are you looking for something to replace all the idiot lights? I don't really have anything in mind, but I'll keep it in mind. Don't forget to have the light to excite your alternator if your alternator requires it.

Thanks a real good point. I might have forget very easily. No, a good chance I would have forgot.

Thank you
Ed
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
PaulJK

Thanks for the photo and link. I am using the PISA wraparound dash so mine is a different shape. I will be using 6 Gauges with idiot lights and have not decided yet what I want. Yours looks very nice. What car are they in, any photos?

Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I plan to put the Speedo and Tach top center then two gauges top corners the other two lower inside.

The drawing is not real good but correct to scale.

I think this should go to general section of the forum, more people look there. There is a topic going now in general with a lot more interest.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...069547.html#lastpost
Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 02-18-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I am going to transfer this from general because it is a build technical.

My gauges will be up for sale after the job is done. Speedhut.

Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I guess there is no going back now

This is the old gauges

Closeup

Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I have started my gauges and the panel is cut out and the brackets are made. The lights are all painted.

Panel front

Panel rear including the original face plate so I can use the lower close out after installing the new gauges.

Original wood shims used to fit panel in car.

Idiot lights ready to paint

Painted lights black
Used Summit VHT-SP999 lens black out $12.95
Works great! Now it does not look like a Christmas tree.

Now the panel and brackets need to be painted.

The radio will also be moved to where the aux gauges used to be. Where the radio was will be storage.
Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Trial fit in car

Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Trial fit. The panel is painted black and the gauges and idiot lights are installed. The idiot lights don't show much because they are painted black.

Now I need to wire it up and move the radio.
Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I changed the console around because now there is a hole where the gauges were. I never liked the radio at the bottom because I could not put a CD in when in park. So the radio is up high where I don’t have to take my eyes off the road to use it and where it was is now storage. I like a lot.

New cluster with wiring done.
I used Radio Shack connectors part number.
12-Position-Female 274-242
12-Position-Male 274-232
9-Position-Female 274-239
9-Position-Male 274-229

I will list a wiring diagram later after everything works correctly.

Ed
FieroJam

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fino:

I changed the console around because now there is a hole where the gauges were. I never liked the radio at the bottom because I could not put a CD in when in park. So the radio is up high where I don’t have to take my eyes off the road to use it and where it was is now storage. I like a lot.

New cluster with wiring done.
I used Radio Shack connectors part number.
12-Position-Female 274-242
12-Position-Male 274-232
9-Position-Female 274-239
9-Position-Male 274-229

I will list a wiring diagram later after everything works correctly.

Ed

Looks really nice. Possibly stupid question but did you custom make that dash if not what car is it from?
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
I think thats the pisa wrap around dash. Im a big fan of this fino if you decide to sell this setup let me know its very nice.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

I think thats the pisa wrap around dash. Im a big fan of this fino if you decide to sell this setup let me know its very nice.

linuxpowered88
Yes it is a PISA wrap around dash. Thank you for your complement on my car. What setup would you be talking about?

Here is a photo of it in the car, I am not done yet I have to install the sensors and STUFF.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-07-2008).]

linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
The dash guages etc I like your car in whole if I had it to do all over id almost rather have the body kit and less money in the engine.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Dang I noticed this a little late. I was going to suggest getting a piece of Acrylic Screen printed for your labels and lights.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: The speedo did not work go down the page to see what I did before you start.

I am going to try Photobucket to see if I know how to use it. Thanks to Dodgerunner .
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083143.html

Wiring diagram for gauges.

C206 – 2 LH Turn
C206 – 12 Hi beam
C206 – 4 RH turn
C206 – 18 Tach
C206 – 9 Ign
C206 – 15 Dash lights
C206 – 11 Ground
C206 – 5 Charge light
C206 – 6 Charge light
C206 – 10 SES light
C206 – 14 Brake light
C206 – 7 Fuel sender
C206 – 17 Oil pressure sender

--------
C 205 - 11 Water temp sender

----------
C204 – T Speedo
C204 – S – Speedo
C204 – R – Ground

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-17-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Closeup of gauges

Water temp sender

Oil pressure sensor. I had to add the new sensor to the old one because the old one still runs the fuel pump. So the center wire was cut at the old sensor and run to the new sensor.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-18-2008).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
hmmm any more details on the water temp and oil pressure guage installation? Its kinda tough to tell by the pictures where the sensors go....
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work - as always, Ed. You should go back to work for GM and tell them how to do things right!

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 03-13-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
This is the console with GPS and radio moved.

Console with GPS back to get access to storage.

Ed
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by doublec4:

hmmm any more details on the water temp and oil pressure guage installation? Its kinda tough to tell by the pictures where the sensors go....

I changed the photos go back and look at them. The water temp sender is next to the coil in the head above the exhaust manifold and the oil pressure guage is next to the battery at the back of the engine.

Thanks Saxman
Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-13-2008).]

FieroJam

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!!
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
Welllllllllllllllll Auto meter was wrong. I called them first to find out what their speedo needed to work and I wired the speedo like they said. The speedo did not work also the cruise and the locking converter. The converter would lockup at about 26 mph. So back to the way I was going to do it in the first place.

I am lazy/cheap so I used the speed buffer from an old dash (85 mph speedo) I did not need. Just remove the printed circuit from the speedo.

Keep the wiring from the car the same for the C204 connector and just plug it back into the printed circuit. You need to add a wire from “U” the brown wire to the Auto Meter speedo Sig terminal.

Put printed circuit into a box of your choice to protect it.

Everything is done for now even my radio runs my Ipod.
Ed

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
For turn sigs and high beam indicators, use older Cadillac or Mopar fender mounted lights. I use them on my Coronet and they just are bulbs that wire into the signal lite wire. Cadillace are fiber optic on some. You just need to drill an 1/8" hole in the back of any lite housing you want to carry to the fender display and plug in the end of the fiber optic.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

For turn sigs and high beam indicators, use older Cadillac or Mopar fender mounted lights. I use them on my Coronet and they just are bulbs that wire into the signal lite wire. Cadillace are fiber optic on some. You just need to drill an 1/8" hole in the back of any lite housing you want to carry to the fender display and plug in the end of the fiber optic.

Fiber optics would be a great way to do it.

Outch my posts are 660 only 6 more.

Check out this outch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5UFedrpvg
Ed

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Get the Cadillac ones from any 80s-90s Devilles. The fender part with the white, blue and amber lenses pops out and just pull the optics out of the backs of the head, park, tail, turn lites or cut as much as you need with a pair of dykes. Prob get a lot of it for under $5-10 from your local yard. Nothing says you have to mount them in the fenders either, you can mount them anywhere you can cut a hole, even in the top of the dash or front of the headliner.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Get the Cadillac ones from any 80s-90s Devilles. The fender part with the white, blue and amber lenses pops out and just pull the optics out of the backs of the head, park, tail, turn lites or cut as much as you need with a pair of dykes. Prob get a lot of it for under $5-10 from your local yard. Nothing says you have to mount them in the fenders either, you can mount them anywhere you can cut a hole, even in the top of the dash or front of the headliner.

I was thinking of Fiber optics to the dash and a 1/8" hole. The other end just a dash light under the dash that is covered up so it can't be seen.

Ed

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock