pyle 4x6 3 way speaker by chrismclubm
Started on: 02-15-2008 04:28 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: chrismclubm on 02-17-2008 04:02 PM
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to install new pyle X 4x6 3 way speakers but I've noticed an extra electric terminal (see photo) whereas the fiero's stock speakers only has two terminals. So before I fry the car, can anyone tell me how to connect this properly?

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
That's just 2 connectors on the same terminal. Run one wire to either tab on that side, and the other to the smaller tab on the opposite side. Make sure you have the Positive and Negative speaker wires going to the correct terminals. Refer to this: http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

That magnet looks HUGE. I doubt it will fit in the sail panel. Did you check?

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
I have yet to check Fierosound, but I bought them because others stated that they "sound great in their fiero" - so I just assumed they fit in that location. I guess I will find out in a month when I finally get a chance to offically install them. Are you implying they may not fit?

Now the question remains, why would they separate the terminals (just curious).

Chris.

------------------

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I believe most, if not all aftermarket speakers come with terminals like that. It allows a better range of install options. If the wires don't easily fit going one direction, you just use the other set of terminals.

And that magnet is freakin huge, I kind of doubt it will fit using the stock bracket.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
I thought about buying those, but I checked the mounting depth, and if they're the same ones I was looking at they're not going to fit without an adapter bracket that lets them stick out beyond the pillar. The Pioneer plate 4x6 2 way speakers from walmart for 50 bucks fit perfectly though...but they're soooo underpowered. Sound is clear though...doesn't matter much if it can go really loud when it's right by your head.
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, they are just less than 3 inches in depth... will it clear?
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly the max depth you could install with out special modifications or adapters was 1.75" in depth on the sail panels, but don't quote me. You could probably make your own hole at the bottom of the sail panel and fit them.
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:
Now the question remains, why would they separate the terminals (just curious).
Chris.

Check how the yellow thingee is hooked in.
1 terminal might be for the woofer only, 1 for the tweeter with woofer.
Or something like that.
Still that magnet looks big?
Remember, you have to take off the the whole panel, and probably the seat to make thongs easier, the speaker cover doesn't come off of the panel

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to be a thread hijacker, but have a simple 4x6 question-

When it comes to 4x6's what speakers can be mounted without any modification, alteration whatsoever? Just bolt up like factory? oh, yeah, and still sound good.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 02-16-2008).]

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
I had those speakers .... didn't fit, ended up returning them and going with the Sony explode speakers instead. Unless you want to seriously massage the speaker cavity.....
Rich
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

I had those speakers .... didn't fit, ended up returning them and going with the Sony explode speakers instead. Unless you want to seriously massage the speaker cavity.....
Rich

Can you elaborate on your experience with these speakers? Will they fit or do I need to make major modifications?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I have these in my Lady. They fit just fine.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The B-pillar cavity is very shallow. The stock speakers sound like crap...there are not a lot of options out there.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
I can only relate my personal experience with my 86 GT. I purchased these speakers and attempted to install them. The large magnets interfered with the sheetmetal body structure within the speaker cavity. This was using the existing Fiero speaker mounting brackets with the new speaker. I made multiple attempts to work around this (after all I had the speakers in hand... if there was any way they would fit, why would I not use them), and determined short of either cutting or massaging (read - beat with a BFH) the interfering structure, they would not fit. I returned them and got the sony X-plode 4x6's (much smaller magnets) and they fit just fine.

Feel free to try them yourself, maybe you'll have better luck... maybe your car (or some cars) are different in what's there in the speaker cavity, structurally speaking. But I can tell you for sure mine didn't "fit just fine".

Rich
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
There are plenty of people that have mounted the bigger 4x6 speakers in the Fiero, but most of the time you have to make your own mount and holes at the bottoms of the pillars rather than use the stock ones at the top. Those top ones have a very shallow depth.

As for buying speakers that will work in that stock mount without modification, I bought a set of Pioneer 100w 2 way plate speakers from walmart for $50 that fit fine. The sound quality is excellent although when using them I found I had much better response when I adjusted the fade slightly towards the back. I think they were model G4641R. In general, plate style speakers 1.75" or less in mounting depth will work fine, and if you want the grille to go back over them, the tweeter needs to be shoooooort. You'll be able to expand your choices if you decide putting the speaker grille back on isn't a necessary item (although it will leave your speakers exposed to potential damage). Here's a link to an article that's always helped me. Most of the speaker models listed are out of date or discontinued due to the age of the article, but the specs and stuff hold true.

http://fierofocus.com/artic...t-sound-systems.html
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Now when I installed mine there was a little interference from the B-Pillar but it was easy to use a hammer and punch to flatten the interfering piece to allow the speakers to sit correctly. I didn't have to make much of a mod to get them to fit.

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
Fiero1Fan, thanks for the pictures. Are those pictures proof that these speakers fit in the stock location? Did you have to make any major adjustments or did they slip right in. The more description, the more comfortable I will feel when i finally get to installing them. In the mean time, what's the quality like in your car with these speakers?

thanks!

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock