Starter question by Tiny
Started on: 02-12-2008 01:01 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: JazzMan on 02-12-2008 01:55 PM
Tiny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
i have an 87 GT the starter is acting funky. last night it wouldn't start at all but it was very cold the manual tell how to remove it from under the car, is there any way to reach it from the top? I wanna hit it with a hammer.

you all probly want more detail as far as what "funky" means. the starter will sometimes not start the car but just spi for a sec then i turn the key again and it starts up. last night with it being so cold turning the key didn't change the result.

------------------
S.A.R.S. Drive it like you stole it

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
nope. cant reach it from the top. backing up on ramps would be the easiest way.
Tiny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
oh well guess the shop will be changing the starter cause i aint fittin my fat ars under this car right now.

------------------
S.A.R.S. Drive it like you stole it

86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Yea sounds like a starter. You can probably just reach under there and wack it without having to really get under the car if you can just get the rear wheels up a little. Probably not a long term fix though.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2008 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If the starter will spin but sometimes not engage that's a solenoid, not sure whacking will help much in that case. Normally whacking helps when the brushes are worn out.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock