Smoking from heater vents by Mattyman
Started on: 02-12-2008 09:01 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: fieros9 on 02-12-2008 06:43 PM
Mattyman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MattymanSend a Private Message to MattymanDirect Link to This Post
Well, my fiero has been sitting for a very long time and was dirty and had a few leaves and other junk on it. It has been cleaned up and one problem was noticed when I attempted to turn on the heat. I first heard a noise like there was garbage in the fan (leaves or something) and then shortly after some light smoke started coming from the middle vents. From under the front hood I could also see a little smoke coming from the 2 tubes that run to the heater core....almost like a smoldering of something.

I remember a long time ago reading about debris sitting somewhere and causing a similar problem but I wasn't sure what I should tear off and remove to clean out. I don't believe it is a bad heater core but I guess I can't yet rule that out either.

Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Probably debris around the resistors in front, they get hot enough to start a fire. I would pull the blower motor out the front, as well as the resistors. The resistors are just a flat diamond shape plate visible in the spare tire area held in by I believe one screw.

With the plate and blower motor out you should be able to pull any debris out of there.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you need to clean out the ductwork. The job goes a lot easier if you use a vacuum cleaner with a long hose.
fieros9

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieros9Send a Private Message to fieros9Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like a mouse has made a nest in heater duct and or heater motor .Take heater motor out and clean duct work and heater motor.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock