Going fast = not good? by Valkyrie
Started on: 02-11-2008 10:08 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 02-12-2008 12:58 AM
Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
So, in the past, I had some transmission problems with my 85 2M6 (Automatic) and they've been "fixed" for quite some time now. I say fixed because, well, I don't really know if it's exactly fixed yet.

So today I decided to put the car to the test to see how it performs. Now I don't know all too much about cars, but I'm willing to learn so that's why I'm here, don't mock me please.

I took it down the highway and floored it, redlined lots, revved really high, not sure if that's to be expect, but I presume it is.

Got back home and put it in the garage, opened the trunk just to check things out, and I noticed it was steaming/smoking. I say steaming because I smelled it and it didn't have much of a smell to it and I figured my garage was just a little cold and the engine was hot making steam. But it also crossed my mind that something could've been burning, but it's hard for me to say. Judging from how it looked and smelled, I don't think it was smoke.

I also noticed it was mega-leaking transmission fluid. I attributed this to the old gasket on the transmission pan, but then I took the dipstick out for the transmission fluid, and the stick was covered in fluid all the way to the top. Did I majorly over-fill perhaps, or is it something more serious?

Thanks in advance, sorry if that was a stupit post, but the last thing I need is a blown engine so I'm taking every precaution.

Edit: One more thing to add, when I had it floored and it was shifting, it shifted very "jerkily" and like one after another. Almost felt like bucking.

[This message has been edited by Valkyrie (edited 02-11-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
The best way to see how much fluid is actually in your tranny is to start you Fiero and check it while its running. You could have overfilled the tranny.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
I'm low on ideas for I know little about automatics. But I pass on the word as it's been told me:

"The only bad question is one not asked."

I agree w/ you that it should NOT be redlining and shouldn't jerk, but I've never driven an auto Fiero. One thing to check is how high your temp gauge reads, for you said the engine bay seemed hot after driving. How old's the coolant and how does it look? People are very helpful on here and rudeness is minimal, so you should get good feedback.

Good luck!

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

Saturday 23, first annual F.I.E.R.O. MD/VA/DC!

Check out my restoration!

red84sematt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
as stated before me, check auto tranny's when car is running, start car go through the gears (while holding brake) put back in park and check your tranny fluid. if low fill to proper level. sounds like you had a slipping problem with it redlineing but the jerking idk about. someone more informed on autos could tell ya what to expect, only i know is that you could blow a seal possibly or ive heard on the rare instance blowing out dipstick tube.

anyone feel free to join in.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
That's another problem, temperature gauge doesn't work. I should probably note that the car had some engine modifications done to it before I purchased it a long time ago. I think the previous owner put larger pistons in or something along those lines, I'll have to double check, but that couldn't account for redlining, could it? Coolant is pretty fresh, I put new stuff in a few months ago. I could touch the engine after I pulled into the garage, so I don't know if it was THAT hot, but then again, my hands were cold. I'll try it again sometime I guess and see what I get. Other than when I floor it, it works fine. Actually, I don't even know if what it's doing now is a problem. I just thought the RPM's were really high, compared to some other cars I've driven, but that could just be a pure power difference.

What SHOULD my car do when I floor it, I guess is what I'm sort of trying to ask.

[This message has been edited by Valkyrie (edited 02-11-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
The "smoking" is probably just chemicals, dirt, grease, etc burning off areas of the engine that dont normally get that hot during easy operation. When you open it up like that, the whole engine gets a lot hotter than it would just puttering around town.

The only place for auto tranny fluid to come out of (well the only ones you want to think about) are the axle seals, cooler lines, and the pan gasket. None of these would be aggrivated by high speed driving, unless you really heated the fluid making it thiner... but anyway, just park it over some card board and see exactly where its dripping at

You cannot check an automatic without the engine running, the fluid will always read high. As said, start it, bring it to tempature, then check. And you definitely dont want to over fill it, thats very bad.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock