Started on: 02-11-2008 07:40 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Xanth on 02-14-2008 12:27 PM
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I have seen this come up a few times on here before, and as part of my audio build I managed to modify a Performance Sound overhead console, so I can regulate the volume of an aftermarket amplifier to my subwoofer.

Here's what you need:

Performance Sound overhead console.

If using a deck without RCA jacks on it, e.g. a Factory headunit, grab a PAC LC2 High-Level converter.

If using a deck with RCA jacks, you should be able to use the PAC LC1 remote bass knob.

Since I'm using a late-model CD player, I got the PAC LC2. The LC2 converts Speaker level inputs, into the RCA outputs. Here you can see the speaker inputs and RCA outputs:

And the feature we will be taking advantage of, a gain knob:

So, in addition to converting the speaker signal into a low level RCA signal, you can control the gain using the knob, effectively controlling the gain of the subwoofer. What we will be doing is moving that gain function from the PAC unit, into the performance sound overhead.

So to begin, I disassembled the LC2:

This is the gain knob, a 50 kohm stereo linear potentiometer.

So now that I know the rating of the potentiometer, I want to try and find a slide potentiometer with the same rating, that will fit in the overhead console. Here's where I run into a couple issues:

Stereo slider pots appear to be somewhat uncommon, most are only Single pots
    Stereo slider pots can be custom ordered to exact specs, but must be purchased in large quantities
    Slider pots rated for 50kohms tend to be much larger than the space I have to work with

What I decided to do was find two slider pots, that were as close as possible to the correct size. So here is what I got:
http://www.mouser.com/Searc...p7QMgImaXp%2fw%3d%3d

Two 50kohm Audio Taper (logarithmic) Slide potentiometers, with 30mm of travel. 30mm is still too long, so I won't be able to reach the full volume, but shouldn't be a problem since I can compensate with the gain on the amp.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
So now I have to modify the Performance Sound overhead to accept my new potentiometers.

Here is the original unit as from the factory:

I removed the support bar and pulled out the light switches, leaving just the factory slider:

Here's a test-fit of the new potentiometer. You can see the extra length. The important part, is that the slider can move all the way to the Min volume side, which is the left.

Since the slider screwed right into place, I proceeded to modify the bracket so I can mount the second potentiometer:

Here's the two potentiometers in place:

Next step, I tapered the knob on the center potentiometer, which is the one in the stock location. This allows the stock slider knob to snap right in place. I also removed the white center pieces:

This is the factory knob, notice the cutout on this side? I will use the cutout to link together my two potentiometers.

Here's the knob in place on the center potentiometer, and a dowel connecting both potentiometers together. I afterwards used hot glue to help secure the pieces together and keep the dowel in place:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 02-12-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Next part is to wire up the overhead unit. I used black wires for Terminal 2, which is the slider itself. Red wires short out to Terminal 2 when the volume is at zero and the green wires short to Terminal 2 when the volume is at full.

Here's the bar re-installed with my new volume control wiring in place:

Next issue, here is the factory connector from the performance sound overhead. It is a square four pin connector. The connector in my car is the standard two pin connectors for the lights.

So I disassembled a two-pin connector from a non-performance sound overhead

And soldered it onto the wiring on my new overhead, the overhead unit is now done and ready to go:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 02-11-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Now that the overhead unit is done, we move back to the PAC board. I've cut off the factory knob control, and soldered in wires that match the wiring I did in the overhead. I used an Ohm meter to determine which wire was the high end, and which was the short end by turning the volume knob to Zero and seeing which terminal showed almost zero resistance to the center terminal. This means this terminal is my red wire, as it is shorted with the volume at zero.

Here's the connector in place, wired up to match the connector I added in the overhead console:

I also added a connector onto the speaker input wiring, this connector matches one I already installed in my car. The two negative wires in the middle, with the positive wires on the outside:

Put everything back together and the PAC is ready to go:

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
What I did next was test the unit for functionality, connecting the overhead right to the PAC, and just hanging it in place to make sure it works:

Hard to tell from the video, but the slider works perfectly. I can smoothly adjust the volume of the sub from zero to almost full gain, which is set by the gain on the amplifier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIWdExBFlxQ

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
So now I know the unit works, I pulled out the headliner and measured out for a wiring harness. My headliner did not survive the trip:

Here's the wiring harness that will run from the overhead console to the PAC unit in the rear:

Overhead in place:

PAC in place, just needing the RCA cables redone and general tidying up:

And that is just about it. I can now control my aftermarket amp and subwoofer using the factory Performance Sound overhead control.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Added to FieroDomain here:

http://fierodomain.com/content/view/288/100/

This is a great option to have, looks factory but sounds great with aftermarket equipment.
JCUOIT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
nice, i have put that on my "wish i had the time, money and expertise" list.

plus for you.

JC

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
The total cost isn't too bad on just this setup, I got the PAC for about $25 on ebay, the overhead I believe I got for $20, and the resistors for $7 shipped, then another $25 or so in wiring and connectors.

Added all up its actually more than I thought. I was thinking of making up a kit or just doing the mod and shipping it back out to people, I don't expect a huge interest though.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I would be interested in you doing the mod and sending it back. I can't do it now, but I want it done. How much would you charge to do it?
JCUOIT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i'd be interested in doing it as a kit. you send me the bits, i go online to your thread, put it together, and bam.

but i dont have performance sound, i dont have a sub, an amp, or a working car.

but, i am interested in doing something like this in the future. i like that it is very stock looking.

JC
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Added all up its actually more than I thought.

Don't feel bad - everytime i do something cool electric-thing (on my kitcar), it ends up the same way. (especially when you start using the PAC-type black box stuff) VERY nice job
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I think I softened the blow by spreading all my parts out over time, when I look back at it my audio build has been fairly costly. Its all good though, I am happy with it

I'm not sure what it would cost for me to assemble this unit for someone, not very much though. Now that I have the pattern down it wouldn't take too long to do.

What I would like to do is make up a kit that can be installed in a normal overhead unit. The performance sound unit appears to be physically the same to a normal 3 button overhead, just the middle button is a slider. So in theory I could modify a regular unit to work, and make a decal of some sort since there are only so many of the factory units around.
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
i too have done this but it wasnt nearly as technical. my amp came with a gain knob, 3 wires. the perf sound thing also had three wires, the resitance on my amps gain thingie was 0-20kohm and the fieros, which was prolly failing was .5-9kohms and would vary greatly. i just found a sliding potentiometer that went from 0-25kohms, pried out the stock fiero gray slider and stuck it on the new pot and shoved it back in there. the sweep is less, mabye 2/3s what the stock sweep was but it works non the less.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
If my amp had a remote knob that's the method I would have used, it is simpler and would result in less signal loss.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock