Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How do you replace the blower motor / fan?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How do you replace the blower motor / fan? by Oslo
Started on: 02-07-2008 11:44 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 02-09-2008 04:12 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
The fan motor in my '84 has started making a god-awful noise when it is on. Speeds 2 and 3 are the worst and I just can't take it anymore!

It makes a high-pitched "warbling" kinda noise like a worn out bearing. I'd like to replace the blower all together, but I'm not sure how.

Any tips? Thanks!

------------------

Club Redline - Northern Minnesota Sport and Modified

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Just open the hood, lean in past the brake master, the motor is right there on the firewall, is held in my about 7 screws.
Disconnect a ground wire and a plug and pull it out.
If you get a new one it may or may not come with the fan blade. Be carefull if you switch them, plastic and can brake.
It a 15 min. job most times...
As long as the 84's are the same as all the rest...

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Im not sure whitch fan your talking about?The radiator fan,the AC fan or the alternater fan in the trunk...???Because you say "Speeds 2 and 3" I'll asume your talking about the radiator fan,there are about six screws or small bolts, holding the fan motor on,use a mirror to see them.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
no. the blower motor for the interior of the car.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
As Dodgerunner said, front compartment, pax side. A couple wires, a few small bolts and it's out.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Because you say "Speeds 2 and 3" I'll asume your talking about the radiator fan,

I think your brain flipped a bit..you were thinking blower motor fan and typed radiator fan.

I replaced mine hoping for more air and it didn't improve much. Sometimes there are leaves and other crap embedded in the evaporator that make the fan work harder resulting in the noise. While the fan is out try to clean the evaporator. You can get a flexible vacuum cleaner hose in the hole but be careful the evaporator is made out of very thin metal. If you poke a hole in it, your ac will vent refrigerant all over the place, (assuming there is any in there).

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
And it's worth pulling out the fan speed resistor (two screw over to the left farther) and checking if there are any leave and junk there. Good place for a fire to start...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock