Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Ive learned some interesting things in the last week (3800 related)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Ive learned some interesting things in the last week (3800 related) by fieroX
Started on: 02-03-2008 03:33 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: PURPLE REIGN on 02-05-2008 11:14 AM
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
As some of you know, ive been fighting issues with my setup for a long time now. So ive been working on my new setup, and the new programming for the OBD2 setup. I had an OBD1 setup for a long time, with an LS6 maf. I have a ZZP mini afc 2.0, and had it scaled 80%, this was to allow for extra room on top of my maf's flow capacity. I had the computer programmed for 42# injectors, but I have 65# ones. well come to find out, maf's read the volume of air coming in by sending a frequency to the computer, which in turn is interpreted into lbs/min and used by the computer to calculate how much fuel it needs to deliver. All I was doing by scaling my afc, was changing the output frequency, but in the long run the maf can still only read so much airflow before it goes "ok i quit" and the computer doesnt know what to do anymore. Thats why when i dyno'd last I made 477 whp at 5100 rpm, and it fluttered and sputtered until redline. Now what we have done is scale the maf within the programming of the computer. I can now see 67#'s of air before it outflows, instead of 47#'s. Its programmed for 65# injectors, I scaled the afc to 91%, and all i can say is, wow ive been missing out. OBD2 FTW.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 02-03-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
So when is the next dyno run?
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is good to know. You're saying that the Apexi unit was scaling back too much or you were just hitting the MAF ceiling before and that value was only programmed as 47#s. Now you're current MAF ceiling is approx 67#s? Just wondering if i got that right.

I guess its also a good thing I ditched the MAF with the use of the AEM...
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

As some of you know, ive been fighting issues with my setup for a long time now. So ive been working on my new setup, and the new programming for the OBD2 setup. I had an OBD1 setup for a long time, with an LS6 maf. I have a ZZP mini afc 2.0, and had it scaled 80%, this was to allow for extra room on top of my maf's flow capacity. I had the computer programmed for 42# injectors, but I have 65# ones. well come to find out, maf's read the volume of air coming in by sending a frequency to the computer, which in turn is interpreted into lbs/min and used by the computer to calculate how much fuel it needs to deliver. All I was doing by scaling my afc, was changing the output frequency, but in the long run the maf can still only read so much airflow before it goes "ok i quit" and the computer doesnt know what to do anymore. Thats why when i dyno'd last I made 477 whp at 5100 rpm, and it fluttered and sputtered until redline. Now what we have done is scale the maf within the programming of the computer. I can now see 67#'s of air before it outflows, instead of 47#'s. Its programmed for 65# injectors, I scaled the afc to 91%, and all i can say is, wow ive been missing out. OBD2 FTW.

I am not familiar with your build, are you turbo or running the M90? Gotta go re-dyno now and see how much you gained with the right tuning.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
He is running a custom turbo setup.

Are you still meth/nitrous?

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 02-03-2008).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Im not running the apexi afc, I have the apexi avc-r boost controller though. The stock tables to go 11,500 hz and at 11,500 its programmed at 47# of air. Well, somehow he skewed the tables so that at 11,500 its seeing 67# of air now. So now im hitting like 9,000 hz at WOT and 14 psi so i dont have to worry about outflowing the tables.

As for dynoing next, thats my secret.

I havent had nitrous in years, ever since i built the intercooler setup. And I ditched the alky injection cause my pump seized up and i dont want to buy a new one. I will tell you guys though, ive hit 11.8:1 AFR, 14 psi, 21 degrees of timing on 91 octane, and didnt get 1 count of KR.
chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
he just gave himself more head room. the maff will read higher than the tables. what tuner did you go with?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Tom Wright is doing some of my tuning, and Chris at Wichita Dyno is helping him get it fine tuned. Were using HP tuners.
chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
im sporting a powertuner I like it for the fact i can tune alot of other peoples cars but I wish i had a hp tuners to get to a few thinks it doesn't have
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Welcome to OBD II

been there ....................had that problem

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock