Replacing Radiator Need HELP! by DCRFiero1
Started on: 02-01-2008 08:38 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Fierobsessed on 02-03-2008 09:40 AM
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Ok, My 87 GT needs the radiator replaced before I can drive it. How hard is it to change it out. Is it simple like changing a regular car radiator, or is it difficult. If it is difficult, could anybody plz give me some tips on how to do it. I dont know why this is bugging me so much, must be because it is the last thing I can do before I can safely drive it. Any comments welcome, Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I think it is relatively simple. Remove the fan and shrouding and the top brace. Drain the radiator and disconnect the hoses, then lift it out. I THINK the radiator is only held in place by the top brace holding it down.

I'm not sure if the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder radiators are the same, but i THINK the automatic trans. has a connection on the left side (small line connects under the top hose).
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Swapping the radiator is easy and fairly straightforward. Filling the system is what has to be done differently, and you will need about 4 gallons of coolant.

Here's how I do it:
http://fierodomain.com/content/view/260/100/

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Well that doesnt sound to bad. Maybe I should add that it is an AUTO Transmission. Can anymore people comment on this subject.
87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
Your Haynes manual will tell you to remove the hood, don't bother, it comes right out. The trans oil cooler lines are on the left side, you might use a little PB Blaster on them so they don't twist the lines. Also, NEVER start the engine with the oil lines loose, don't ask how I know this. in '66 or so I sprayed down my Dad's garage door with ATF, he was not amused!

------------------

'85GT Indy clone 4.9 4T60E
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'89 Bonneville daily driver
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

Ok, My 87 GT needs the radiator replaced before I can drive it. How hard is it to change it out. Is it simple like changing a regular car radiator, or is it difficult. If it is difficult, could anybody plz give me some tips on how to do it. I dont know why this is bugging me so much, must be because it is the last thing I can do before I can safely drive it. Any comments welcome, Thanks.

Did you just pick up this 87 GT?
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I sure did. Picked this fiero up about 2 weeks ago. Just needs a tune up, and a new radiator, then she is ready to drive.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Well that doesnt sound to bad. Maybe I should add that it is an AUTO Transmission. Can anymore people comment on this subject.

Since you have the automatic transmission, the radiator will have two tranny cooler lines attached to the driver side. Like mentioned above, it's a good idea to soak them with PB Blaster beforehand. Because they have a habit of freezing up.
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
I am probably the worst Fiero mechanic on the forum and I did mine.
I know there is a trick to refilling but I forget now how I did it.
Wasn't that difficult and I bought mine online ,
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Well sounds like I should be able to do it. Iam not a mechanic, but i know my way around fieros, so I should be able to handle it, I plan on tackling this situation in about a week. Thanks to all for the replies.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I sure did. Picked this fiero up about 2 weeks ago. Just needs a tune up, and a new radiator, then she is ready to drive.

Is it the one that a guy name Haun had for sale? If so be sure to look the car over really well, he always seem to leave out major things wrong with things he sales.
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know for sure if the radiators are the same in the 4 cylinder and V6 cars ? Overall, they look the same ....
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
They are not exactly the same, the V6 one has a thicker core and better cooling capacity. Other then that, they are identicle, except that there are manual transmission radiators, and automatic transmission radiators. You can get away with using a 4 cyl radiator on a 6, but its better to have the correct part. Some people (including myself) have done engine swaps and left the 4 cyl radiator, and did not have any cooling problems with it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock