Started on: 01-31-2008 08:22 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 02-02-2008 11:02 AM
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Ok followed my first rule and searched the forum for information but did not find any.

I have a coolant plug start leaking. Have not pulled it yet but wondered what options others have found for a replacement short of buying one from FS....

Anyone know the size/thread pitch ?
Replacement ideas other than rubber plug, putting back the original with sealer etc....

Not worrried about getting it out that I can handle, just what I can put back in case the plug is to far gone.
Hope it's not the bung leaking instead...

Will did finally find this post that says what the size might be if it's correct.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-058674.html

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 01-31-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the day...
I also check more and looks like the plug has rusted through in the hex hole..

Anyone have luck with finding any replacements. Does not sound like a home depot plug is quite the right size from what the post talks about...
StockGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Last time I had the coolant pipe plug out, I went to a few hardware stores to see if I could find a replacement.
The closest threads that I could match up was a metric M10 by 1.0 mm thread pitch bolt. Since the plug is a "pipe plug" it has tapered threads.
So far, I have not located a local vendor that has metric pipe plugs.

From the P-22 manual, it shows the parts as a Plug, Engine Coolant, #10040001.
The part shows up on Monster and GMPartsDirect.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of... looks like it's down to seeing if there are any fair ones at the u-pull-it or order from FS or the places you listed...

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
well, as a workaround, if you can get it out, just drill out the hex hole and tap it and put a ss bolt in with a little teflon tape.. could even do that in car, easily. Likely a 1/4 20 would work, maybe even a 5/16-18.

I have never touched mine after I stripped out the hex part trying to pull one, decided that it is a problem to be addressed if it leaks.
I just trun the hose down to a jug and blow em out if I want to completely remove the fluid from the tubes.
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
Fiero store has them.

84-88 COOLANT TUBE DRAIN PLUG
Part # 60001
Price: $6.25
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i've always just used brass 1/8 pipe plug.
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
Me too, used 1/8" NPT brass plug, ,no problem screwed in by hand and tightened right up no leaks. Drained and put back in still no problems.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well problem solved, it was not the plug, was actuall they hose clamp on the hose coming from the water pump.
Somehow ( mark it a one of those weird things that happen) the coolant was running down the top side of the pipe and did not come around the pipe until it go to the horz. part where the plug is. Much have been following the undercoating on the pipe...
Pipe was not wet below the clamp that you could see only after I put my fingers on the top of the pipe did I find it.

Tighten the clamp and it's all better....

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-02-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock