4.9 help and questions by rvalmore
Started on: 01-29-2008 09:04 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: sanderson on 01-30-2008 10:32 PM
rvalmore

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
I am just about to embark on a 4.9 swap and I have been reading just about everything I can on the swap. I will be swapping the engine and tranny from a 92 deville into my GT .However, one thing I am having a hard time finding is someone currently making engine brackets and possibly tranny brackets. The other questions I have is I bought the whole deville. WHat is the easiest way of removing the tranny and engine as a whole from below or can I pull it out the top of the engine compartment?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
For mounts I'd check www.fieroaddiction.com. I also had the complete DeVille when I did my swap and I removed the engine and transmission from the top. Worked out pretty good.
rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

For mounts I'd check www.fieroaddiction.com. I also had the complete DeVille when I did my swap and I removed the engine and transmission from the top. Worked out pretty good.

Great to hear about the removal. I was hoping I could do it that way. I went to his ebay page and he says that he's not going to have any available for a while. That's why I posted this here hoping that someone else makes brackets as well.
Fiero redux

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I think you can get them from bubba joe. I don't know the web address, but I put into yahoo "fiero 4.9 swap" and it comes up in results. I think it's a fortune city site. Hope this helps.
John
Edited for punctuation.

[This message has been edited by Fiero redux (edited 01-29-2008).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rvalmore:

I am just about to embark on a 4.9 swap and I have been reading just about everything I can on the swap. I will be swapping the engine and tranny from a 92 deville into my GT .However, one thing I am having a hard time finding is someone currently making engine brackets and possibly tranny brackets. The other questions I have is I bought the whole deville. WHat is the easiest way of removing the tranny and engine as a whole from below or can I pull it out the top of the engine compartment?

jon lagler sells them on ebay
you will need yrou chip reprogrammed, and i provide that service..i sent you a PM
Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I, too, am in the middle of a swap. But mine is going WAY slower than most. I spend a lot of time looking for newer/better solutions for problems I might come across. Good luck w/ your swap.

Stickpony, does your chip reprogram work for manual transmissions?? I'd like to keep my 4-spd and use the Caddy ECM if possible. Thanks.
(sorry for the hijack)
rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero redux:

I, too, am in the middle of a swap. But mine is going WAY slower than most. I spend a lot of time looking for newer/better solutions for problems I might come across. Good luck w/ your swap.

Stickpony, does your chip reprogram work for manual transmissions?? I'd like to keep my 4-spd and use the Caddy ECM if possible. Thanks.
(sorry for the hijack)

Don't worry about it any time I can help the cause. I should be starting mine within a week or two depending on how cold it is in my garage. My hope is to have it done before the salt is off the road and ready for spring. There are only about 6 months that I can really drive the car so I need every chance I can.
rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post

rvalmore

649 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Thanks everyone. I'll continue to search on ebay as well.
rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post

rvalmore

649 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Oh yeah I forgot to ask. I have read that the most 4T60 trannys and early 4T60e trannys have the appropriate mount to be able to use. Can I use the deville tranny brackets or do I have to look for an earlier brackets? I want to use Poly mounts with all brackets. Just to confirm if I use both front mounting points on the engine I wont have to use a strut correct? Lastly, I have looked at a couple build threads that people used 4cyl. water necks for the 4.9. Do you have to use the 4cyl or can you use a 6cyl water neck?
Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I'm not 100% sure about the trans mounts, but from what I've seen, some people chose to cut the thermostat housing from the fiero motor and use the upper half of the fiero housing w/ the lower half of the caddy housing. I haven't seen anything different, yet.
I know what you mean about the salt and cold, this is my first winter here, I moved here from Syracuse (Siberacuse!) last April. I feel sorry for all my friends who have to shovel this winter. Hope things warm up for you soon!

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4.9 project (stalled)
84 Fiero coupe 2.5 (soon)

rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post

I'm not 100% sure about the trans mounts, but from what I've seen, some people chose to cut the thermostat housing from the fiero motor and use the upper half of the fiero housing w/ the lower half of the caddy housing. I haven't seen anything different, yet.
I know what you mean about the salt and cold, this is my first winter here, I moved here from Syracuse (Siberacuse!) last April. I feel sorry for all my friends who have to shovel this winter. Hope things warm up for you soon!

Small world I grew up in Liverpool until I was 13. Moved to this area after that.
PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

(sorry for the hijack)

absolutely.. i sent you a PM
Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
pm replied to. thx.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rvalmore:

Oh yeah I forgot to ask. I have read that the most 4T60 trannys and early 4T60e trannys have the appropriate mount to be able to use. Can I use the deville tranny brackets or do I have to look for an earlier brackets? I want to use Poly mounts with all brackets. Just to confirm if I use both front mounting points on the engine I wont have to use a strut correct? Lastly, I have looked at a couple build threads that people used 4cyl. water necks for the 4.9. Do you have to use the 4cyl or can you use a 6cyl water neck?

Purplereign here on Pennock's sells heavy duty brackets and poly transmission mounts that fit the 4T60E. I bought his for the transaxle and built my own poly front and rear engine mounts. I'm not using a dogbone.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock