Dashboard Graphite paint by jyoconnell
Started on: 01-27-2008 06:18 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Gordo on 01-27-2008 10:37 PM
jyoconnell

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jyoconnellSend a Private Message to jyoconnellDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can get the closest spray paint match to the graphite (black) color of a 1984 dashboard? I've repaired the dashboard and I need to repaint it. Want to go with the stock color.

Thanks,
John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Colorbond by Bryndana corporation. http://www.bryndana.com/

I use Honda Dark Graphite #243. It's some pretty amazing stuff. Last year I did quite a bit of experimentation to try to match all of the different shades of grey. I have successfully colored a multitude of vinyl parts as well as leather steering wheels & shift knobs.

(edit typo)

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 01-27-2008).]

jyoconnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jyoconnellSend a Private Message to jyoconnellDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gordo:

Colorbond by Bryndana corporation. http://www.bryndana.com/

I use Honda Dark Graphite #243. It's some pretty amazing stuff. Last year I did quite a bit of experimentation to try to match all of the different shades of grey. I have successfully colored a multitude of vinyl parts as well as leather steering wheels & shift knobs.

(edit typo)

Awesome, thanks. Do you recommend any of the other products to prep the surface? What did you use?
thanks,
John

Gordo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
All I do is clean the surface with acetone really well. You want to remove all the oils, armor-all etc. Follow the directions & use light coats. It dries quickly. Here is a picture of the shift knob that I re-colored. Believe it or not, it was originally white. I bought it from the Fiero Store for $19. After an entire season, it is still holding up just fine.

I keep a couple cans of Ford Ink Black color handy for things like the radiator fan shroud, the plastic cowl screen, charcoal canister & other black plastic under hood parts. It really makes them look like new.
jyoconnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jyoconnellSend a Private Message to jyoconnellDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, can't wait to get the interior done.
John
Matt85GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt85GTClick Here to visit Matt85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Matt85GTDirect Link to This Post
Gordo,

Do you have any pictures you could post of your finished products?
Gordo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt85GT:

Gordo,

Do you have any pictures you could post of your finished products?

Here is a shot of the charcoal can and the cruise control unit....

Here is the radiator fan...

and my baby (Phoenix) at the POCI show in Rochester last summer. 118,000 miles My first 1st place trophy.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

Gordo

2981 posts
Member since Mar 2002
The radio surround in my first picture was painted in their Ford Ink Black, before I tried to get better color matches. It came from a tan interior car. I have also used the graphite color to blend in the lower corners of a dash repair job on my wife’s daily driver.

This is my secret stash. Haha

Last year, I wrote to the Bryndana Company for color chips and bought samples of the colors that I thought were the best matches (for test purposes). After a little testing, I tried a couple other colors and then bought some extras. I re-labeled the cans so I would remember which can I would use to mach each different shade.

Most of the cans are for two of our upcoming projects. The first is my wife’s 86 SE (Edgar). She’s what I would refer to as a perfectionist. Here’s a picture of Edgar,

We re-colored the radiator fan, cowl, rubber radiator splash shield, the panel that holds the sunroof, the wind deflector and even the gray plastic buckets that hold the headlight bulbs. We will be working on the interior soon.

We also have an 85 GT project waiting in the wings as soon as we can agree on a color LOL.

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 01-27-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock