3.4pr swap - head/LIM alignment by fojo
Started on: 01-25-2008 06:02 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Hudini on 01-26-2008 09:52 PM
fojo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fojoSend a Private Message to fojoDirect Link to This Post
Put the Fiero lower intake manifold on my 3.4 build, torqued it down to 19 ft-lbs.

Where the angled port surface of the manifold butts to the head, the manifold is higher than the head - step up from valve cover sealing surface of head is a good sixteenth of an inch. It's the same on both ends of both heads. As far as I know, these heads weren't milled.

This looks like bad news to me. It's easy to imagine internal coolant leaks, and the rubber valve cover gaskets are going to need wedges of RTV to seal. Or do I need to get the LIM milled?

Anybody else run into this with their 3.4 swap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've had two different sets of heads on my 3.4.
None of mine have ever lined up, exactly.
Just put a dab of silicone at the place where they join, just before you put the valve covers on.

This has never caused me a problem with either oil or coolant leaks..

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

fojo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fojoSend a Private Message to fojoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reassurance - did the dabs of silicone and then noticed that when the valve covers are torqued down, the gasket overlaps the gap anyway.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
My 3.4 and 2.8 do not line up perfectly either. I did opt for the more expensive rubber valve cover gaskets over the cork ones just for this reason.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock