After Market Gagues with 4.9 PFI setup by cadillacslim
Started on: 01-24-2008 08:47 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: cadillacslim on 01-27-2008 07:35 PM
cadillacslim

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadillacslimSend a Private Message to cadillacslimDirect Link to This Post
Can any one tell me or show me a picture of how you use an after market oil pressure sending unit and gague with the stock PFI
setup (not carburated).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cadillacslim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadillacslimSend a Private Message to cadillacslimDirect Link to This Post
Com on guys, a little help please? Many of you have after market gauges. How do you get them to work, do you use two senders (if so how), do Auto Meter gauges work with stock cady sender and keep the computer happy too?
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
figure out what pipe threads you would need to make a t fitting at the stock sender location and use your imagination to make it fit. Then run some tubing to each sender. The aftermarket gauge will get 12V+ and a ground. Then run a wire from the sender to the gauge. Now take the headlight switch out and run a wire from a wire thats hot when lights are on to the gauge so it will light up when the lights are on. A diagram should come with the gauge to tell ya what colors go where. I have diagrams for many random companies and they are all the same if you need help there.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cadillacslim:

Com on guys, a little help please? Many of you have after market gauges. How do you get them to work, do you use two senders (if so how), do Auto Meter gauges work with stock cady sender and keep the computer happy too?

Id don't have an aftermarket gauge - but the Caddy sender will not drive any gauge. The stock sender only feeds the ECM - to use the Fiero (or aftermarket gauge) you need to change the sender. This is documented in the 4.9 wiring threads - basically you use the 88 Fiero 2.8 sender in the same location as the stock Caddy one.

See my post here (just over 1/2 ways down) - the the necessary wiring/sensors are listed here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079246.html
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
The pipe thread is 3/8" NPT. I needed a 3/8" male to female 45 degree adapter in NPT for mine so I had to figure it out. I needed it for exhaust crossover clearance. This will at least help you in the aftermarket department. I would suggest using an electric one not mechanical though either one wil work.

I'm not sure either about aftermarket gauges but an 88 fiero sender will screw into the 4.9 oil filter housing and plug into the caddy wiring harness. You just use the stock fiero gauges. The earlier fiero senders will work but they are bigger and you need to change out the plug also. Good luck with whatever you decide.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 01-27-2008).]

cadillacslim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadillacslimSend a Private Message to cadillacslimDirect Link to This Post
Thank all of you that responded. I now at least know what I have to work with and have a path to follow to get there.
Thanks again

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock