Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Painting the nose off the car..add flex to paint?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Painting the nose off the car..add flex to paint? by fierofetish
Started on: 01-22-2008 06:56 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: fierofetish on 01-26-2008 07:47 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2008 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
As the title says, I am painting the nose of my Fiero GT, with it off the car. It loses all rigidity, of course, and I have some 'flex' additive for the paint. I am advised to add 10% volume of the flex to the paint. I didnīt add any to the primer, and it seems to be sticking ok....Anybody have an opinion? I have never painted a flexible plastic panel before, and donīt want to ruin the whole job for the sake of not doing it properly!!
Thanks for any advice, which will be appreciated!!
Nick

------------------
You know that look women get when they want sex? No, me neither..

fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Then there was only one... 11.08.2007
Growing old is harder than growing up.
And losing loved ones is even harder

Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Starfighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StarfighterSend a Private Message to StarfighterDirect Link to This Post
Hey nick I think I read a while back where Roger said the additive was for protection during the install of the part.I also heard of guys not usining the additive and never having any problems.

Jim
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Let us know how it turns out. I used straight automotive urethane with no problems.

Arn
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
The flex agent is needed in certain types of paint. If you were told to add it to the type of paint you are using, then I'd add it. I use PPG Deltron Urethane paints and I do not use any flex in the paint as the paint itself is very flexible. Follow the instructions for your type of paint.

Mark
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Let us know how it turns out. I used straight automotive urethane with no problems.

Arn

This is the way I went also. I use the laquier primer under the Urethane
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2008 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody! I am using Sikkens 2 pack..the Vendor told me that I donīt need the flex additive in the base colour, or primer,but I should use it in the clear lacquer. Well, it has been too windy today to attempt any spraying proper, so I have experimented with two test parts..an old nose!! Sprayed the most flexible parts one each...one with flex, and one without. I will give it 24 hours to dry at around 65 degrees, and then give it a good ol' flexing!! We shall see, what we shall see
Nick
Nice finish with these paints this is done in my dirty ol' workshop :
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Thanks everybody! I am using Sikkens 2 pack..the Vendor told me that I donīt need the flex additive in the base colour, or primer,but I should use it in the clear lacquer. Well, it has been too windy today to attempt any spraying proper, so I have experimented with two test parts..an old nose!! Sprayed the most flexible parts one each...one with flex, and one without. I will give it 24 hours to dry at around 65 degrees, and then give it a good ol' flexing!! We shall see, what we shall see
Nick
Nice finish with these paints this is done in my dirty ol' workshop :

Sikkens is the best IMO. Paint takes about a month to fully cure. I hope you're not using clear laquer, though. I also hope you are using epoxy primer. The job is not worth doing without it, as it won't last near as long.
As for the flex: It's not needed in most of todays urethanes, but it dosen't hurt & in fact can make the nose more chip resistent. Go ahead & use it.
BTW I've been doing custom paint for nearly 40 years...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by josef644:

This is the way I went also. I use the laquier primer under the Urethane

Laquer primer under urethane is a big mistake. You're spraying catalyst-hardened paint over air-dry primer. What happens is the primer softens when you shoot the paint, absorbing some of the solvents. Then the paint hardens, sealing in those solvents. Can cause problems later, & the paint doesn't stick as well. Also, the primer dosen't flex as much, so it's especially bad on rubber & plastic parts. If you want something to last use epoxy primer.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2008 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Sikkens is the best IMO. Paint takes about a month to fully cure. I hope you're not using clear laquer, though. I also hope you are using epoxy primer. The job is not worth doing without it, as it won't last near as long.
As for the flex: It's not needed in most of todays urethanes, but it dosen't hurt & in fact can make the nose more chip resistent. Go ahead & use it.
BTW I've been doing custom paint for nearly 40 years...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Thanks for the tips Paul!! great stuff. Yes, I am using epoxy primer Found out the hard way years ago, when I sprayed my 79 Camaro...on the biggest hood I could ever pick to mess up !! Hehe!! Sprayed the whole thing perfectly..pleased as anything!! Until the morning I left the heaters on to prevent blooming...but I neednīt have bothered!! The whole of one side of
the hood was wrinkled.....just like that 'crackle-finish' you could put on the old steel dashboards! . Took hours and hours to just get back to square ONE!!!
Nick

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
OK, sprayed the nose, without flex additive. Looks OK so far!! I tried it on an old nose first, and it didnīt crack or flake even when I bent it really hard..so here's hoping !

Nick
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice job Nick some bright almost got me blinded
I can see some of you on that bumper reflecting away a bit I think

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 01-23-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Thanks Rob!! Wow!! LUUURVE THOSE GLASSES!!!
Nick
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

I tried it on an old nose first, and it didnīt crack or flake even when I bent it really hard..so here's hoping !

Nick

But did you give it 30 days to fully cure? Not a real test if you don't. I'm sure you'll be OK, though.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2008 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
obviously not !! But I did leave the 1000 watt infra.reds on it over night to 'cook it' Joking apart , I think the Sikkens did the job..I donīt intend bending any of my panels enough whilst driving her to prove that or not!!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-24-2008).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Just don't bump anything. Like I said, I'm sure you'll be OK. Sikkens is hard to beat. 'Spensive, though. I usually spend $1,000 to $1,200 on primer & paint for a paintjob.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Stratplayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StratplayerSend a Private Message to StratplayerDirect Link to This Post
Flex Additive is actually not needed anymore due to most (except low cost) paint companies have reformulated their products to be flexible a few years ago. This, simply is due to the multiple plastic parts on vehicles now days. Also Flex Add only stays in the paint for a short time, then evaporates. It was only designed to allow the paint to flex (a small amount) long enough for the part to be installed. This information came to me straight from the PPG Company in KS.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stratplayer:

Flex Additive is actually not needed anymore due to most (except low cost) paint companies have reformulated their products to be flexible a few years ago. This, simply is due to the multiple plastic parts on vehicles now days. Also Flex Add only stays in the paint for a short time, then evaporates. It was only designed to allow the paint to flex (a small amount) long enough for the part to be installed. This information came to me straight from the PPG Company in KS.

What he said. The flex was primarily made for old style laquer paint like GM used on everything. Since I prefer installing panels before painting (after trimming the edges in), i really didnt have much use for it anyway. I had many a GTO crack after a bump no matter what you did to it. Now if I read your other thread right, you are using laquer clear and it might be a good idea. I use laquer primer myself under everything.

JFI, I did a car panel with red oxide laquer and another with gray laquer primer for a test. I used basecoat color and urathane clear. After a month exposed outside the panel with red oxide is fine with absolutely no problem. The other panel, shot at the same time together with red one, could have the base color and clear shaved right off with a single edge razor, right to the primer surface again. Paint companies have argued with me about the diff between red and gray primer that they are the same, but obviously something in its adhesion properties IS different. Id guess ships using red oxide paint below the water line has some basis for the same reason.

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
adding flex to the paint isn't a problem, in fact every car i paint i add fles to the paint, it will make the paint flow even smoother. IMO sikkens is the best paint, it costs a little more but actually goes furthur. I've used Dupont befor and to me our only paying for the name.

as for the primer use the proper prep and primer for the panels, on my '04 ford 1/2 ton i addena a stillen body kit and used a special primer for the bare urathanne pieces. Been running that for about 8 months now and holding out excepionally well. i just finished an 85 200x 3wheeler panels and they have flex in the paint, plain ole acrylic enamel at that.

later
jimmyb.

------------------

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
You may or may not need the flex depending on your paint, but if you have it, use it. Everybody does something stupid once in a while, or lets their wife drive the car. Having flex wont hurt the paint, but it will give you a little insurance for those mishaps. I would feel more comfortable knowing that I had flex than worrying everytime your car is in a parking lot, or at the shop, or just generally around people. Now I wish the person that painted my car put flex on it.

-JOE
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody...and welcome joesfiero!! I have painted the nose without the flex..the Sikkens Rep said I donīt need it..because if the nose flexes that much, nothing would stop it coming off and cracking! I have mounted it to the car, and it is still perfect.The lacquer is better than clearcoat..but I have only enough left for this car...and then it is all gone!! Will have to find something as good..I know there is a place in the UK that still sells it.
Nick

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock