for those swaping a 4.9 caddy motor, by stickpony
Started on: 01-19-2008 02:45 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Matt85GT on 01-23-2008 01:03 PM
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post
Here are some potential swap motors and donor cars. the last link is a brand new long block

pennsylvania:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ash=item180198842985

west virginia:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ash=item330198742712

oregon:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ash=item200184209563

Illinois:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ash=item110215045890

arizona:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...ash=item140199826751

i'm curious, what with all the big hooplah over alternate ECM setups on various engines not designed to go into the fiero, has anyone thought about removing the distributor on a 4.9L caddy motor and converting it to DIS? Everyone's thoughts on this

[This message has been edited by stickpony (edited 01-19-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

...i'm curious, what with all the big hooplah over alternate ECM setups on various engines not designed to go into the fiero, has anyone thought about removing the distributor on a 4.9L caddy motor and converting it to DIS? Everyone's thoughts on this

It's a cool idea, but I think it's way down the list of priorities. Most people who do 4.9s (myself included) leave them pretty much as-is, or just do minor mods.
(Of course, I'll probably draw the wrath of all the people who have built 4.9s from the ground up, and are busily modding them. All three of them. )

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

It's a cool idea, but I think it's way down the list of priorities. Most people who do 4.9s (myself included) leave them pretty much as-is, or just do minor mods.
(Of course, I'll probably draw the wrath of all the people who have built 4.9s from the ground up, and are busily modding them. All three of them. )

true... but imagine a built up 4.9L with higher displacement N* pistons, decked P&P heads to achieve 11.5:1-12:1 compression, hi-lift cam, allante intake, sbc intake valves and valvesprings, corvette throttle body, using on of AJxtcman's LS1 computer setups and DIS, dynotuned...might make the ultimate N/A 4.9L ever
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageClick Here to Email v8fiero400Send a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
I think the biggest reason people put 4.9's in a Fiero is because it is cheap and easy to install.

Adding DIS to a 4.9 is throwing a lot of money for small gains.

If you got money to spend then I would go for a Northstar or LS series.
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightClick Here to Email Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
I would love to do this swap but I lack the tools and know-how.............not to mention the garage-space ( or a garage for that matter ). I got an 87 Gt thats been sitting for about as year that i would love to do something with. How much do these swaps cost again? about 1500-2000 bucks?
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by v8fiero400:

I think the biggest reason people put 4.9's in a Fiero is because it is cheap and easy to install.

Adding DIS to a 4.9 is throwing a lot of money for small gains.

If you got money to spend then I would go for a Northstar or LS series.

my point weas, that if you are going to build up a 4.9L, then it would be worth it
Matt85GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt85GTClick Here to visit Matt85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Matt85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

i'm curious, what with all the big hooplah over alternate ECM setups on various engines not designed to go into the fiero, has anyone thought about removing the distributor on a 4.9L caddy motor and converting it to DIS? Everyone's thoughts on this

Not sure what you mean by all the hooplah... The 4.9 is the closest to a bolt-in (and subsequent Northstar) using the Fiero manual transmission. Since the Cadillac never came with a manual, there are different ways to "skin a cat" as the saying goes.

With my project, I plan on utilizing the 1227730 ECM using the Saturn Knock Sensor, a truck TBI throttle body for IAC, a tweaked 5.0L F-Body BIN and work from there. Why? Because the F-Body BIN has been thoroughly hacked and is an ECM, not PCM like the Caddy, and it is the setup I feel will get me closest to "right" without spending a ton of money to build, write, wire, etc. my own system. It's still factory reliable parts, readily available anywhere, just like the Caddy.

The Caddy is considered a Powertrain Control Module, because it controls engine and transmission. The possible gains seen with SFI in the Caddy ECM versus the Batch-Fire system will most likely be negated by the PCM looking for other parameters that don't exist with a manual transmission. Again, if I were swapping the caddy auto with the engine, then I'd use the caddy PCM, in a heartbeat.

The short of it is I see no need to try to reinvent the wheel. The setup mentioned above seems to work fine, and works closest to an ideal setup. Just my 2 cents.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock