How good are liquid gaskets? by Fierology
Started on: 01-18-2008 01:36 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-15-2008 04:40 PM
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Can I just use a simple tube of liquid gasket or rtv sealant to go between my front spindle and rotor shield. There were old and cracked gaskets in there and it seems to me that I could just use any quality sealant to keep water/junk from getting in the bearing. Am I right? Thanks

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

Check out my restoration! Comment if you can.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
what year? the 88 had a hub, no gaskets.
prior years had a hub and spindle, and all seals for the front wheel bearings were done on the hub to the spindle. if anything, those pieces you found were to space the dust shield away from the rotor, in which case, the liquid gasket won't do too well.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Mine's an '84. If water were to get past it I think it would make it's way into the bearing. A gasket in this place would place the shield closer to the rotor if anything. The steel on the spindle is ribbed in concentric circles, seemingly to aid in sealing. Because the gasket seems to not be a spacer I think the liquid forms would work well.

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

Check out my restoration! Comment if you can.

frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Direct Link to This Post
It is the grease seal on the rotor itself that stops water from getting into the bearing. The dust sheild has ABSOLUTELY NO effect on water into your bearings, you really don't even need them. They are only there to keep crap off your rotor, that's it.

------------------
carpe diem

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frankenfiero1:

It is the grease seal on the rotor itself that stops water from getting into the bearing. The dust sheild has ABSOLUTELY NO effect on water into your bearings, you really don't even need them. They are only there to keep crap off your rotor, that's it.

x2

Good luck with the build!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ya we used to take the plates off when I started racing stock cars and threw them away. As far as liquid gaskets in general, most manufacturers today use liquid gaskets on just about everything except head gaskets these days.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock