Any unhappy SBC drivers? by buddycraigg
Started on: 01-17-2008 07:14 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: typhoon on 01-20-2008 02:51 PM
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

actually it didnt suck not once, my daughter had a great time and so did I. At any time i could have gotten it trailered back, had 1 on stand by. 1100 miles and all it did was throw a belt ill take it!!!!! life is too short not to jump head first lol

Thats cool... Any time you spend with family is great!! Sounds like you two will laugh about it for years to come. Vince
IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I can complain, but having a V8 Fiero is like having the hottest girl on your arm at the party....oh wait...I have that too.

Dave

Damn, that's a sexy engine. You've got to take some video sometime so we can see and hear it run.

I'll be in my bunk....
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

like having the hottest girl on your arm at the party....oh wait...I have that too.

Yeah, but you pay her.
I have to ask, is she hourly, or on salary?
SPRING GUY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SPRING GUYSend a Private Message to SPRING GUYDirect Link to This Post
I love my V8 350/5 speed swap......and I'm about to add more Power!!!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SPRING GUY:
I love my V8 350/5 speed swap......and I'm about to add more Power!!!

<in my best Janeane Garofalo voice>
it's ok to love your car, just dont love your car.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Yeah, but you pay her.
I have to ask, is she hourly, or on salary?

I'm married to her....so I guess she is hourly and salary.

As for the video....I don't think so. The last video I posted was ruined by Shaun on the first day. It does run nice, but there are a few quirks I need to fix. For one, I can't hear the radio. No cats and race mufflers...it was cool when I was 20, but now that I'm in my 30's, I think I need to put a flowmaster on it to quiet it down.
Also, I think I need to put a second radiator in it. On the hot days it would run hot in traffic. I'd rather lose 100hp if it would mean running at the proper temp.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-19-2008).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

As for the video....I don't think so. The last video I posted was ruined by Shaun on the first day.
Dave

It would be nice to see your video, I'd love to see it & hear it.

You know you can block responses to your video on UTube, you can set these options when you post the video. If you already have a video up on UTube you can also go back in & change the options.

I have my videos setup setup so that I have to approve all comments that get posted to my videos before they get posted. I get an email whenever someone wants to post, I click on the link in tha EMail & look at the comment then approve or disapprove the comments.

Before I disapprove Shaunbags comments I cut & paste them to a MSWord document for future reference.

There is no way that some mentally ill unemployed loser should be allowed to keep grown adults from using UTube to share videos.

I'm no computer expert but if I can figure out how to block that punk then anyone can.

Archie
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Direct answer... I am happy with my V8 fiero.

Like some others have suggested, it's a project that will never be completely finished - but it is a blast to drive. Glad I've got a stock backup though. Seems there's always something to work on with the other one (i.e. my raditor fan just went out an hour ago). I took this project over from someone else, so I don't get all the credit either for the original install or the mistakes I am having to fix
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

I think you missed my sarcasm throwing a belt was nothing i LOVE my sbc ARCHIE kit and i dont think this has been a negative thread at all

I'm sorry. I didn't want to put you or your car on the spot. Basically I mentioned it to reference that things that could break in an SBC are the same things that could break in a stock V6 or any other swap. It is not better nor worst just because it is an SBC like some people want to beleive.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

I'm married to her....so I guess she is hourly and salary.

As for the video....I don't think so. The last video I posted was ruined by Shaun on the first day. It does run nice, but there are a few quirks I need to fix. For one, I can't hear the radio. No cats and race mufflers...it was cool when I was 20, but now that I'm in my 30's, I think I need to put a flowmaster on it to quiet it down.
Also, I think I need to put a second radiator in it. On the hot days it would run hot in traffic. I'd rather lose 100hp if it would mean running at the proper temp.

Dave

Maybe post a video on your own website, so no one can comment?
I fully understand where you're coming from. Like Archie said, don't let some douchebag ruin your fun.

When you get it fully dialed in where you want it, you'll have to bring it out to some shows. I really want to see it and your VR6 swap when it's done. That's the coolest part of Fiero shows - so many different ways to customize your car.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I put a SBC 350 in my 84SE 8 or 9 years ago. And I am still delighted with it.
And, moron me, had straight water in it one year, totally forgot about it and froze out the sides of the block and cracked the water pump.

A car guy letting this happen??
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I just plainly dont have the money for what the v8 swaps offer. I dont think you could do one that would run 12's for less then $3000.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I just plainly dont have the money for what the v8 swaps offer. I dont think you could do one that would run 12's for less then $3000.

How old are you? When I was in my 20s and 30s I couldn't have afforded one. If a used one hadn't came along I probably wouldn't have one now. But I do have one and its lots of fun, even with the good deal I got on the kit I still have over $3000 in the car not including the kit. Having fun isn't always about the numbers.

If you can build a car that you are happy with and maintain a budget then you are doing great, I have blown my budget several times. But I have the car I want.
SPRING GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SPRING GUYSend a Private Message to SPRING GUYDirect Link to This Post
Budget...WTF is a budget, we don't need no stinkin budget! Do it for your self, you only live once! I'm 10 grand in and counting!
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
Unhappy? it's more like regrets. I regret that I should of done a LS motor then the L98. Regret that I took so long too.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

my carburetors alone cost over $3000.

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I have a similar regret like ccfiero350 has. I worked like a dog when in high school and had the V8 put in when I was 18. I regret I didn't wait and save for an LS swap as well as wait until my mechanical abilities allowed me to do it myself. Now that I did the 88 suspension swap and basically re-did the engine swap, I feel ready for an LSx engine, just not enough money!!

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Did you read the thread title? You don't own a V-8 Fiero so your opinion is not needed here.

I dont think

That's pretty obvious ..................

This is not a thread about who doesn't want a V-8 Fiero, or why you don't like them. It's a thread to see if there are any unhappy V-8 owners. If you read the thread you will see that the owners of V-8 Fiero’s are happy with their cars...............it's just guys like you that bad mouth them.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
this thread
+
haters
=
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

this thread
+
haters
=

Don't those things catch fire?
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
I love my v8. My only regret was the choice of a carb over EFI. I could use the fuel savings the 6-8 mpg im getting (only once in while do I put my foot in it I know less = more mpg but fun is fun). I knew mileage was going to be bad if I want uber mileage id done an ecotec or similar swap. Also go with an LSx engine over an older SBC style even slighly used the cast iron does kinda suck. But still happy as can be I wont ever look at it and go this is perfect nothing needs to change why then it would be boring and I would have sell it.
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
when I want good gas mileage...I ride my horse.
My two swapped Feiros require Premuin gas. My Benz requires premium (that's a V8 as well), and my 2.8 Fiero gets horrible mileage (I take it just around town). The only car that gets semi decent mileage is Joey's Honda, but she spends more time spinning the tires on that then actually moving, so the mileage isn't so good on that.
Dave
typhoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I was unhappy with is the fact I only had about 325 hp. If I did it all over again it would have to be around 400 hp.

------------------
..from beautiful Caledonia, WI
88 GT 5-speed soon to be an LS1
87 GT 5 speed V8 SBC TPI--SOLD--
08 Solstice GXP 5 speed
04 Caddy STS
00 Pontiac GTP with GTX package
96 Suburban
92 Dodge Shadow 28K miles

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2