3800SC Aluminum Flywheel From Spec by Fiero Owner
Started on: 01-16-2008 02:40 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Team Race-Tech on 02-25-2008 07:52 AM
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
So I've been emailing a rep at Spec about the aluminum flywheel they're making now for the 3800SC swaps in the Fiero and it's $399 but I'll get a clutch with and they'll give me a deal on both and what not. But anyways, he told me it is precision balanced and ready to install. So does that mean it's already and good to go with my 3800SC and I just bolt it on, or do I have to get it balanced exactly to my flywheel that's on the motor now? I will be buying this kit and was just wondering if any more work is needed. Also is anyone running this yet?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
AIUI, the 3800 is an externally balanced engine... so if it's going to be used on a 3800, it needs to have the correct weight at the correct radius oriented correctly to the bolt pattern or alignment dowel. The '88 and later 60 degree engines for which that flywheel was made do NOT have the offset weight.

So you need to verify that it is externally balanced for a 3800.

If the 3800 is an internally balanced engine, please correct me.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The only 3800's that were externally ballanced were the L67 supercharged versions, so if you have a n/a block you need not worry about this.

The ORIGINAL racetech alum flywheels caused quite a fuss in the J-body L67 world, nuking a crank or 2. I was told this by a ex racetech employee.
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The ORIGINAL racetech alum flywheels caused quite a fuss in the J-body L67 world, nuking a crank or 2. I was told this by a ex racetech employee.

I have to this day not heard of any flywheels that came out of my shop to have any problems... Hence 8 years ago one flywheel had a ring gear come loose after 3 years it had been in a 3800 fiero. Oh ya, one other one came back to me 4 or three years ago to have the friction surface replaced, this was due to a week clutch disk that exploded, and yes this one was installed into a 3rd gen cavalier.

As to an ex-employee that had my flywheel in their car, one person comes to mind and he had this flywheel for at least 4.5 years and raced the "F" out of his 93 Z24 that was an N/A motor with a custom turbo kit I did for him. The only thing that kept braking on his car were axle shafts. His aluminum flywheel I think took the most punishment of all the flywheels I have been selling in the last 12 years. But I do have to say it still held up and who ever has it now hasd not comlained.

all the 3800's are externaly balanced.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The flywheels that I sell weigh with balancing a total of 8lbs 12oz, the friction surface can be ordered with a 9.5" overal diameter or 10" depending on the type of clutch some one is going to use.

Joe

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

e-mail: joetrentadue@hotmail.com

pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
hey team race-tech so what your saying is your flywheel is a bolt in application for a 3800 s/c swap in a fiero. in other words if i do my 3800 s/c swap i could order your flywheel, bolt it up and not have to worry about doing anything to it?
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
That's what I'm looking for, an aluminum flywheel for a 3800SC swap in a Fiero and to just bolt it in and do nothing else with it and it will be fine. How much do you charge for your flywheels?
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Thats correct. I have made flywheels for series I in the past, series II & III, I also make flywheels for N* applications and also for the 6 speed too. I have made some custom applications for other vehicles like some formula 2000 open wheel race cars with a Ford 2.0L engine, Fiat spyder, a few Ferrari's and so on. Some times I may not have the spcification of some applications so I may ask for some samples to be sent to me for proper acuracy.

Joe

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
And how much do you charge for your 3800SC Fiero flywheels?
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

And how much do you charge for your 3800SC Fiero flywheels?

I too would like to know a price, it would probley be a while before i do a swap and do you have a website?
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

The flywheels that I sell weigh with balancing a total of 8lbs 12oz, the friction surface can be ordered with a 9.5" overal diameter or 10" depending on the type of clutch some one is going to use.

Joe

hey joe.. how is the street driveability of your flywheel? i have a 10 pound flywheel on my 4.9L swap and street driving isnt the greatest because of how fast it decelerates.. if my flywheel had just liek 2 more pounds, it would be perfect...
PFF
System Bot
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
When I did my 3800 SC motor in my 87GT (somewhere in 2002-2003) I used Joe's (Racetech) aluminum flywheel. It did me very well with no problems what so ever.

Regarding balancing, I took my 3800 flexplate, clutch and pressure plate in with Joe's aluminum flywheel and had it all balanced together.

Worked beautifully in the car. The quality of the flywheel was very good. Pics for your perusal:
http://autos.ph.groups.yaho...s/photos/browse/4f9a

[This message has been edited by IXSLR8 (edited 01-17-2008).]

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

When I did my 3800 SC motor in my 87GT (somewhere in 2002-2003) I used Joe's (Racetech) aluminum flywheel. It did me very well with no problems what so ever.

Regarding balancing, I took my 3800 flexplate, clutch and pressure plate in with Joe's aluminum flywheel and had it all balanced together.

Worked beautifully in the car. The quality of the flywheel was very good. Pics for your perusal:
http://autos.ph.groups.yaho...s/photos/browse/4f9a

Back then I sold the flywheel's either way, balanced or not. Since I have been doing my own installs and sold many over the counter now I balance them all. Great to hear your's is doing well. do you have an idea how many miles you have on it?

Joe

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Team Race-Tech

512 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by stickpony:
hey joe.. how is the street driveability of your flywheel? i have a 10 pound flywheel on my 4.9L swap and street driving isnt the greatest because of how fast it decelerates.. if my flywheel had just liek 2 more pounds, it would be perfect...

Hello,
Maybe you can ask IXSLR8 this question, he has one of my flywheels on his 3800. The driveability is normal, what you'll experiance is that the engine will rev much quicker and easier. Usually with heavy flywheels if your up high in the RPM range, the deceleration is slower, so when shifting from gear to gear the rev's stay up, with a lighter flywheel the rev's come down faster making you next shift start at lower RPM. With this said you will get the full benefit of you RPM band when shifting.

What I would need from you if I were to make one is your current flywheel or at least the measurments and o flex plate from the 4.9L so I can get proper measurments and balance.

Thanks
joe

Oh ya, someone asked if I have a web site. No I don't but I'm cosidering it.

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
Your aluminum flywheel and the steel insert worked just fine. I probably had at least 25K miles on it with a variety of driving habits before the car was sold to another fiero lover. I commuted mostly 120 miles a day. I'd come home late at night and would find a driver trying to get me to race them. It held up under hard acceleration, the odd lurch off the line with a mustang or wrx at a light and hiway driving.

The motor would stall if you weren't watching your low rpms just at the acceleration point, perhaps because the flywheel was so light as opposed to the weight of a steel flywheel. Its possible that my Haltech computer contributed to this so I'm not completely sure about it.

The shop here in Portland that balanced flywheel used special tungsten weights to make it perfect. Kinda spendy.
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieDirect Link to This Post
Ive got a 3800sc coming from loyde, can you hook me up w/ a complete clutch setup for this engine for a 5sp.

Rick
Genopsyde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
I too am putting an L67 into an 87 gt with the 5speed, and I'm interested in one of your aluminum flywheels. Please pm me price and other info. thanks in advance.
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

Ive got a 3800sc coming from loyde, can you hook me up w/ a complete clutch setup for this engine for a 5sp.

Rick

PM sent

Joe

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

personal e-mail: joetrentadue@hotmail.com
MSN : joetrentadue@hotmail.com

Work e-mail: teamracetech@hotmail.com
MSN: teamracetech@hotmail.com

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Team Race-Tech

512 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by pontiacman63383:

I too would like to know a price, it would probley be a while before i do a swap and do you have a website?

PM sent..

Joe
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Team Race-Tech

512 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

I too am putting an L67 into an 87 gt with the 5speed, and I'm interested in one of your aluminum flywheels. Please pm me price and other info. thanks in advance.

PM sent.

Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock