Synchro - How difficult is it ? by falcon_ca
Started on: 01-14-2008 06:53 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: THE BEAST on 02-27-2008 06:10 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
The 3/4 synchro of my m282 (MG2) seems to be gone. I am unable to enter the 3rd at RPM higher than 2000. I dont know if it is the synchro or the brass ring but is this something I can fix myself ?

I am a weekend mecanic with a good toolset.

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You'll need the Getrag overhaul manual to see what you'll need and for directions.
You can download the manual from here http://www.fieronews.net/fu...wnloads.php?cat_id=1

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

RichLo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
your going to need a hydrolic press to get the gears off. you can just go to a machine shop and have them do it for you once you take the gears out of the tranny yourself.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
You'll also need a hydraulic press to get the gearshafts out of the transmission. Plus, you'll need to press the gears back onto the shafts, and press the shafts back into the transmission.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Besides a decent collection of sockets, allen keys, roll pin drivers, mallets, and a super clean working environment, you'll need a hydraulic press (15 ton I think), an oven to preheat some of the gear clusters, and steel pipes of various sizes to fit around the gear clusters when pressing stuff apart.
If you don't preheat the gears you do risk damaging the teeth on the output shaft gear and/or input shaft gear because the integral gears are what the shaft is supported by when you're pressing it together.
You'll also need a large (12mm or 14mm I think) hex driver to remove the torx bolts that hold the shafts to the case bearings. You can use a lead mallet to knock the shafts out of the case but you really should press them.
Don't forget to get the blocker ring before you start; they're special order and pretty expensive ($100/ea from GM). They may be hard to find now too..
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If it crunches into gear that's a blocker ring typically assuming the clutch is OK. If it won't stay in gear and pops out that generally is the synchro itself. Last time I looked one synchro assembly cost as much as a whole used transmission so if it's a synchro your best bet is to start looking for another tranny.

JazzMan
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
WOW

I think I will start to look for another 5 speeds transmission.

How much could it cost?

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Rodney dickman.com/getraginfo.htm info on 5 speed
www.drivetrain.com rebuild parts

http://www.manualtransmission.net rebuilt units not cheap you have to join site

www.mantran.com same as above ??

www.geartrans.com rebuilt transmissions good blow ups on auto transmissions

Do not rebuild this transmission unless you are very experienced.. You can use the chilton fiero manual as a guide if you do attemp this..Use separate boxes to hold different assemblies.. do not count on the photos or drawings in the manual keep parts organized... keep clusters together in thier box.. The mall is the best place to find one ,unless you can find a bargain at a salvage yard ,,or an individual locally ..I needed a transmission and advertised on the mall WTB!! I do not have the site addresses correct,, but this should aid you in finding the sites.or just google for the info..A rebuilt transmission will cost you close to $1000.oo.. A local shop with experience in manual transmissions can probably beat the rebuilders price,unless there are a lot of parts needing replacement

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-16-2008).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rodney

I know it will be possible to find one using the Mall but my problem is crating and shipping to Canada. ($$$)

------------------

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 01-16-2008).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

falcon_ca

1291 posts
Member since Dec 2007
Is this list still update (with Rodney kit of course):

Cadillac Cimarron '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Chevrolet Beretta '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor
Chevy Cavalier '87 2.8L five speed, w/electronic speedometer
Chevy Cavalier '88-89 2.8L electronic speedometer
Chevy Celebrity '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Chevy Corsica '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor
Pontiac 6000 '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Pontiac Tempest '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor

Or is there more recent transmission easyly swapable ?
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
bomp
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Is this list still update (with Rodney kit of course):

Cadillac Cimarron '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Chevrolet Beretta '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor
Chevy Cavalier '87 2.8L five speed, w/electronic speedometer
Chevy Cavalier '88-89 2.8L electronic speedometer
Chevy Celebrity '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Chevy Corsica '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor
Pontiac 6000 '87-88 gear driven speed sensor
Pontiac Tempest '87-89 2.8L gear driven speed sensor

Or is there more recent transmission easyly swapable ?

With Rodney's parts you should be able to use up to 1994 transmission if you swap out the speed sensor and use the late-model Getrag slave adapter. Rodney should have directions for that on his web site.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 01-27-2008).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,

I bought one from an 87 Cadillac Cimarron

Of course, I ordered Rodney's FWD Conversion Kit and, being in transmission's things, an Ultimate Getrag shift Kit.

------------------

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2008 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
My bad ,sorry go here www.drivetrain.com/muncie282FWD.html could be fwd has blow up and parts for almost any transmission also google " auto manual transmission rebuild " for a plethora of tranny info
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Thanks,

I bought one from an 87 Cadillac Cimarron

Of course, I ordered Rodney's FWD Conversion Kit and, being in transmission's things, an Ultimate Getrag shift Kit.

As far as I know, the Ultimate Getrag shift kit doesnt fit the FWD Getrag.. the shift shaft doesn't stick out as far on the FWD Getrag hence having to use Rodney's conversion kit which comes with a shift arm. I think the bracket relocates the cable for the shorter arm; so I don't know that you can really use any of those parts. You might be able to make it work if you cut the shift arm and extend it upward so it clears the select arm.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Rodney wrote me that he is going to makes me a special Combo "Ultimate FWD conversion Shift Kit" with all duplicate parts erased and special parts (I believe) adapted to the FWD conversion kit.

But I still have to see, the kit is actually in the mail somewhere between Caledonia and Chicoutimi.

I have confidence.

------------------

RichLo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for a 282 to modify for a drag only application, would you want to sell your old one for cheap? PM me, thanks.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

I'm going through this right now. I have already replaced 3rd, 4th and 5th synchros but no 1st or 2nd because the gears just won't come out. I took it to 2 different transmission shops but none of them could get them out... do you have any suggestions?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock