Leaking coolant.... by JZeFF
Started on: 01-10-2008 01:32 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: josef644 on 01-10-2008 10:10 PM
JZeFF

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JZeFFSend a Private Message to JZeFFDirect Link to This Post
After i turn my car off (duke) i heard a hissing sound, so i popped the engine bay,,, and i get closer and i notice that coolant is leaking from the fill spot in the back... You know the silver screw on/off thing in the back. What can i do about this, do i need to just buy a new one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
yup, buy a new one and some sandpaper. Take off the old, stuff a rag in the opening, lightly sand any rust off the gasket surface. remove rag, install new cap. Don't forget to top off the coolant (50/50 mix).

J.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
What you are talking about is the thermostat housing. You didn't say whether it was leaking at the cap, or where it's bolted onto the engine head. Mine was leaking where it was bolted to the head. I had replaced it with a good used one because the old one was too badly rusted, but didn't have the O-ring required to seal it to the head. So I used RTV. It didn't work. I found an O-ring set at Pep Boys (has all the different sizes of O-rings you're ever likely to need), and used the largest one from that set. No more leaks.
JZeFF

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JZeFFSend a Private Message to JZeFFDirect Link to This Post
Yea, it leaks from the cap, not where it meets the block.
where can i get a new cap? do parts places carry them? (autozone/advanced auto parts)

EDIT: i was looking through he archives and i saw that this problem can effect your idle, is this true? I also have an idle problem, so i guess i will find out soon.

This is totaly off topic... but does anyone have a picture of the trunk pop relay? haha I dont know which one it is, lol
And, haha whats this "noisy timing gear"...is this just 87-88 engines? read it and im interested... (i dont like starting 500 different topics)

[This message has been edited by JZeFF (edited 01-10-2008).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
This is the trunk relay on my Formula, not sure if the same on all years:

Its the white blob of a relay near the middle. It was jammed up by the steering column, its the same as the Horn relay.

Fraid I don't know enough about 4cyls to help you with your other questions.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-10-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

This is the trunk relay on my Formula, not sure if the same on all years:

Its the white blob of a relay near the middle. It was jammed up by the steering column, its the same as the Horn relay.

Fraid I don't know enough about 4cyls to help you with your other questions.

Same as my 86 coupe.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-10-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock