Front Spring Cut or clamp by taterthot
Started on: 01-08-2008 03:35 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Tiny on 01-08-2008 06:23 PM
taterthot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for taterthotClick Here to Email taterthotSend a Private Message to taterthotDirect Link to This Post
Hey anyone, is it safe to cut the front coil spring .75" on each end to drop to 1.5", or use coil spring adjuster clamp? i have an 88 GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseClick Here to Email EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I've asked this before and have always been told don't clamp, they break. I would try it with the clamps as for a trial period to see if you like it, then go a head and cut if you decide to go long term.

That said, I've never gotten around to trying either method.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

The progress thread: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077740.html

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 01-08-2008).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
On the 88's the clearance between the spring and the upper pocket (which is rather deep) is within about 1/2" or less, so there is a very good chance the clamp would cause a bind.

Cut the coils. If you do not like it once done, fixing it is as easy as getting another set of springd.

BTW, the 84-87 springs are longer, but very close to the same diameter and you can used them in the 88's if you cut them down (I ran a set of cut 86 springs for a couple of years in my 88).
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 392
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I would also cut them over using a clamp. If you hit a hard bump it could bind or break your spring.
Tiny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageClick Here to Email TinySend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post
I would recomend cutting the spring but you want to just cut the bottom one full coil its alot easier to screw it up if you try cut a bit off the top and the bottom. Also I recomend cutting with a cutting blade and taking your time. dont cut all the way through in one shot dont want to over heat the coil.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock