fierosound , I have a question for you. by NeoNot
Started on: 01-05-2008 11:47 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Gokart on 01-14-2008 05:57 PM
NeoNot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotDirect Link to This Post
I have been playing around with the design for my sound system and I have a quick question.

When you removed the firewall behind the drivers and passenger seats how much depth did you pick up?

I have an enclosure design that will fit into the car but it requires the use of either the Kicker or Pioneer shallow mount subs. I really would like to go with the Infinity Perfects but I dont have 7 inches of depths to give up.

If you have a rough guess of the depth you have after removing the firewall can you please let me know. This is the last little bit of info I need for ordering the gear for my car.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NeoNot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotDirect Link to This Post
If anyone else has removed the firewall behind the seats and knows how much depth you gain please let me know.
The only person I know that has done this for sure was Fierosound.

TTT
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done it, but I know there is an issue on the drivers side with the fuel filler tube running thru it. There is only about 2", there are threads that talk about that depth, if you want the exact depths, and one guys workaround for the filler tube. they may be in the archives, so include that in any search you do.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The depth is about 2 1/4" inches that you gain. (around 2.0" near the top and 2 1/2" near the bottom.) Depending on the diameter of the magnet will determine if the fill tube on the driver side will cause a problem.

Here are some pics of the holes already cut and you can see where the filler tube is located at so you can see where you need to be careful when cutting.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Filler tube measurement:

Hope this helps.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-06-2008).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NeoNot:

When you removed the firewall behind the drivers and passenger seats how much depth did you pick up?

I see others have already answered this question. As you see, it's not a lot but it will make the difference between a sub box sticking out 5" from the firewall or 2.5" from the firewall. A good way to make a "test fit" is to make a cardboard sub-box - use an appliance box and duct tape. That gives you an idea on what height and width will fit and how much seat travel you will lose based on the depth needed for the sub-woofer you plan to use.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

NeoNot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotDirect Link to This Post
Would removing this part of the inner fire wall cause any structural concerns?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

None.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

If it did, the other people who should really be worried would be the T-top and Convertible Fiero drivers.
You can see where the channel is spotwelded to the firewall. Make sure those stay intact.

NeoNot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Oreif and FS.

I guess the next questions is how did you guys cut out the inner firewall, die grinder?
How deep can you cut before you start running into the outter firewall??
What is to keep someone for opening the biggest part of the inner firewall, besides the fuel tube???
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

I guess the next questions is how did you guys cut out the inner firewall, die grinder?
How deep can you cut before you start running into the outter firewall??
What is to keep someone for opening the biggest part of the inner firewall, besides the fuel tube???

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center, then used a jigsaw to cut out a fist-sized hole. I could then feel where the pipes were and marked where it was safe to cut further. A die grinder would work fine. You only have to cut deep enough to cut the sheet metal, no need to go deeper.

NeoNot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again FS.

I am debating on starting on the stereo or the engine. One or the other will wait until after I make sure I dont own Big Brother any money this year.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I used a Dremmel with a thick cutting disc to expose the void.
Here's my build thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064567.html It contains all the links that got me started

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock