Best turbo for a v-6 turbo build-up? by 6thsf
Started on: 12-28-2007 03:12 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: arte444 on 06-30-2008 09:54 PM
6thsf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 6thsfSend a Private Message to 6thsfDirect Link to This Post
Am thinking of building a turbo setup for my 88 automatic GT. What turbo units should I steer clear of and which have you all on the board had good luck with? The engine is getting on in years and before I put a new motor in I want to get the bugs worked out. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
go with a 3.4l pushrod turbo check it out here is my biuld
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087040.html
niemann99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for niemann99Send a Private Message to niemann99Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm...You have to rebuild or replace the motor anyway, why not just throw in a low mileage 3800 S/C sell the supercharger and turbo the engine to 7 - 9 PSI? I suggest the 3800 because it's already built for boost, and you'll be less likely to have trouble, and there are people on this forum getting great mileage with the 3800. I believe all the information and parts you need to do this are on this forum. Check how much a 2.8 rebuild with turbo or 3.4 swap with turbo costs and then check how much a 3.8 swap costs, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
If you do a SEARCH in the Technical section and Technical archives, you'll probably turn up all the info you wanna read on turbos. Quite a bit of technical info has been posted in the past. The hard part is Not installing the turbo and getting it working - thet hard part IS getting the car to run right because you need to have the ECU chip re-programmed ....

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-28-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
a turbo v6 wont show the most power for dollar, but it might be a slight bit easier than doing a motor swap.

A t3/t04e would make for a large sized turbo, some lag but would be for nice power.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with darkhorizon. A swap is quite a bit of work, but a engine rebuild and then adding a turbo is much simpler. At least this is what I did. Of course you are not going to have the performance of a 3800, but again it what is in the realm of your ability and resources.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Yup, do a search. start with "turbos for dummies" as well as 2.8 turbo and 3.4 turbo for search terms. in short a Tbird T3 super60 trim is decent for the 2.8 (It's actually undersized but good for that motor) a T3/T4 hybrid is good for a 3.1 or 3.4..

Installing a turbo is the brain-dead easy part.. programming the ECM to use the turbo is the hard part. you need to approach your project very carefully so you can answer the chip tuners like darth with all the info to give you a kinda-working Chip tune. then get some dyno time with a tuner to get it working perfect.

Or you can learn how and buy all the stuff to tune. Eventually when I get mine done I'll be giving away my Chip contents for free so others have a good starting point but until then nobody is willing to give up a .bin of a turbo setup.

Guys (me included) will tell you you can do low boost without a aftercooler. you CAN.(3-7PSI boost MAX).. but I strongly suggest planning for one from step-1 so you have a better chance of running pump gas. you will hate having to run 108 octane all the time ($4.34 a gallon around here)
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

Guys (me included) will tell you you can do low boost without a aftercooler. you CAN.(3-7PSI boost MAX).. but I strongly suggest planning for one from step-1 so you have a better chance of running pump gas. you will hate having to run 108 octane all the time ($4.34 a gallon around here)

your narrowband o2 sensor will hate it more than you do....

Intercooling is the only option when it comes to turbos IMO, its easy, and the the benifits are huge.
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
If you are sticking with the 2.8 stock or built up unit; Design 1 is the only Fiero turbo kit out there with a totally satisfied audience. I have the now discontinued KFG kit which uses the Garrett T/3 turbo (photo). Leave the stock 10* timing alone, use 93 octane gas, use the MSD 6a ignition box and although an increasingly popular but not widespread alternative to a "plumbers intercooler" I use a water / alcohol injection unit. I have no detonation issues, a 6.5 to 6.8 sec. 0-60 time and no cooling or oil issues what so ever. I have the turbo set to a max. of 8 lbs. of boost. Your narrowband 02 sensor is just fine. Jegs and Summit racing sell an air fuel ratio gauge which is perfect for low boost operations. The chip as noted above is the tricky part. Just contact Darth Fiero (Ryan) and he will solve all of your problems, he did for me. Ed

[This message has been edited by Firefighter (edited 12-30-2007).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Installing a turbo is the brain-dead easy part.. programming the ECM to use the turbo is the hard part.
Amen.

Eventually when I get mine done I'll be giving away my Chip contents for free so others have a good starting point but until then nobody is willing to give up a .bin of a turbo setup.
For many of us, I think that information will be well worth the wait.

Guys (me included) will tell you you can do low boost without a aftercooler. you CAN.(3-7PSI boost MAX).. but I strongly suggest planning for one from step-1 so you have a better chance of running pump gas.
How much boost and compression do you plan to be running with your turbo set-up when it's done?

Will it have an intercooler?
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

a turbo v6 wont show the most power for dollar, but it might be a slight bit easier than doing a motor swap.

A t3/t04e would make for a large sized turbo, some lag but would be for nice power.

I have no idea how to make a turbo work =( I could install one though. Just wouldnt work

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1996 Grand Am 3100
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)