Started on: 12-27-2007 09:57 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Tha Driver on 06-15-2008 01:23 AM
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
I searched & found firing order for dukes, so I named this thread so that others can find it for V6s.
Not just the timming order, though. My friend did the header gasket job on the rebody, which included removing one head to drill out the bolts.
Now it won't start. I need:
1) Firing order. The Haynes (which I hate) says 123456.
2) Numbering of cylinders on the block. The Haynes (which I hate) says 135 is on the *back* near the trunk. Is that right?
3) The position of the #1 wire in the dist. cap. The Haynes (which I hate) dosen't even give you that info!
It may be that he dropped in the dist with the rotor slightly off, but I can determine that once I find out everything else. Did I mention I hate the Haynes? LOL. (I copied & pasted that part of the sentences) I can hardly ever find anything in it. In my Harley manual it dosen't even tell you how to static time it: only how to time it if it's running!
TIA,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
using the ign module as a refrence, the terminal on the right side is 1, then clockwise from there is 23456. the pulley side of the engine is the front, so the plugs near the trunk are 135 right to left, and the rear are 246 right to left. to set static timing you (I, personally) use the tooth second from the lowest from the tube thing at the top. it wont start or wont start well if you time it at that mark(the tube). the mark i use is roughly 10 degrees which is stock but if you run 93 just put it nearest to the bottom mark without going over. my car wont leave a consistant timing mark so it kind of fluctuates a degree or so.

o and do all this while in diag mode, so jumper a and b on the connector. its the two pins isolated from all the other pins.

i think the confusion in the books comes from your natural instinct to call where the throttle is the front, and then work left to right, where the picture in the book and other cars has the throttle on the pulley side. theyre all using the same crappy pic of 3 rectangeles called an engine with numbers in it and a circle for the dist.

[This message has been edited by megafreakindeth (edited 12-27-2007).]

AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I searched & found firing order for dukes, so I named this thread so that others can find it for V6s.
Not just the timming order, though. My friend did the header gasket job on the rebody, which included removing one head to drill out the bolts.
Now it won't start. I need:
1) Firing order. The Haynes (which I hate) says 123456.
2) Numbering of cylinders on the block. The Haynes (which I hate) says 135 is on the *back* near the trunk. Is that right?
3) The position of the #1 wire in the dist. cap. The Haynes (which I hate) dosen't even give you that info!
It may be that he dropped in the dist with the rotor slightly off, but I can determine that once I find out everything else. Did I mention I hate the Haynes? LOL. (I copied & pasted that part of the sentences) I can hardly ever find anything in it. In my Harley manual it dosen't even tell you how to static time it: only how to time it if it's running!
TIA,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

1) Thats correct
2)Thats correct, #1 being toward the front of the engine
3)You can place the #1 wire wherever you like on the cap. I suggest getting TDC compresion on cyl. 1 and dropping in the dist.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Don't know wich Haynes you have but in mine it's on page 29 bottom right
Th firing order 123456 and the no 1 is right where they say
trunk bank from water pump ( front of the engine ) is 1-3-5 and firewall from front is 2-4-6

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by megafreakindeth:

using the ign module as a refrence, the terminal on the right side is 1, then clockwise from there is 23456. the pulley side of the engine is the front, so the plugs near the trunk are 135 right to left, and the rear are 246 right to left. to set static timing you (I, personally) use the tooth second from the lowest from the tube thing at the top. it wont start or wont start well if you time it at that mark(the tube). the mark i use is roughly 10 degrees which is stock but if you run 93 just put it nearest to the bottom mark without going over. my car wont leave a consistant timing mark so it kind of fluctuates a degree or so.

o and do all this while in diag mode, so jumper a and b on the connector. its the two pins isolated from all the other pins.

i think the confusion in the books comes from your natural instinct to call where the throttle is the front, and then work left to right, where the picture in the book and other cars has the throttle on the pulley side. theyre all using the same crappy pic of 3 rectangeles called an engine with numbers in it and a circle for the dist.

Ignition module: you mean the part you can't see when the cap is on?
The confusion comes from GM using the right side for # 1. I always consider the front to be the pully end. On the cars I've worked on, the left front (driver's side) is the # 1 cylinder. Mostly Mopars I admit, but isn't the SBC the same way? Since I've often seen incorrect info in the Haynes, that's why I wondered if the "right side" was # 1.
I'll have to look up the jumper location when I get it running. I'm not used to working on computer-controlled cars.
Thanks,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 12-27-2007).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Robert 2:

Don't know wich Haynes you have but in mine it's on page 29 bottom right
Th firing order 123456 and the no 1 is right where they say
trunk bank from water pump ( front of the engine ) is 1-3-5 and firewall from front is 2-4-6

In mine pg. 29 is the second page of chapter 1 - tune-up ect., nothing but specs (text & numbers). I can't find that image anywhere.
Thanks that's what I needed.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Hi, i had the same problem you have with my motor not starting because of timing issues. getting the ignition timing right was kind of hard for me. I did it by ignoring the manual and going by my own understanding of how it worked. Just know that the first spark post can be any place on the distributor, as long as it is followed by 2,3,4,5, and 6 (clockwise, of course).

Also, FYI, when you connect the wires, it helps to cross them over each other to avoid any problems caused by magnetic interference something-or-other that HAS ACTUALLY caused problems before.

-mike
Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
Tha Driver:

Had the same problem recently. Perhaps this will help:

This is a picture of the cylinder numbering for the engine:

This shows the correct distributor orientation:

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

84 SE son's car, loaded
85 Coup w/V6 transplant
85 GT newly on the road
86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!

megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
like the above pic, the module is where the 2 connectors are under the cap so number 1 is on the right side of the module
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
just a trick for most gm motors. there is an offset for the heads, one being more foward (towards the pulley) than the other. the cylinder most foward is #1. I think that also works for most v configured domestic motors, but I'm sure there are exceptions, cause like every other rule, there always are.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

just a trick for most gm motors. there is an offset for the heads, one being more foward (towards the pulley) than the other. the cylinder most foward is #1. I think that also works for most v configured domestic motors, but I'm sure there are exceptions, cause like every other rule, there always are.

HEY! That actually makes sense!
Thanks again, everyone. I'll let you know how it works out.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Here is another diagram. This one shows the relative position the distributor should be in when it is installed correctly.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 06-14-2008).]

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

yep, that rule is followed by every V, boxer, or in line engine i've ever seen EXCEPT for old air cooled VW and Porshe engines.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
OK.......
The saga continues....(but is almost over).
We found the whole problem with it not starting was the way my helper (following haynes manual directions!) adjusted the valves. No compression. So we pulled it back down I adjusted the valves myself, & we got it running. Now I need to set the ignition timming. The haynes manual says to jumper something, then check #1 then #4 & average the difference. Also to read some sticker that of course is not even on the rebody (& the other cars say the same as the manual: no setting whatsoever!). WTF?
(sigh)
Jeeze I wish I had a Chiltons.....
Anyone actually know how to adjust the timming & what to set it on? BTW it's an '86 V6.
Paul

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 06-14-2008).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Bump. Really need to know what to set the timming on (& how to set it). I'm not familiar with computer-controlled cars...
Paul
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Here's a guide:
http://fierodomain.com/content/view/175/100/

And this pic will help if you're timing plate is cruddy, not sure who took it. The white stripe on the timing plate is where 10* is:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 06-14-2008).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Running like a top! THANKS EVERYONE!
Paul

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock