Started on: 10-19-2007 01:23 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Matt85GT on 01-23-2008 08:58 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
This may have been asked before, but this one has a small twist to the question. I am in CA and am looking for any and all info on this swap, including smog legal in CA.

I am installing a 4.9 in an 88 GT. Black auto with beach leather. I plan on keeping the engine stock and smog certify it in CA. I would like to know how many have been done, who has them and if build threads have been done on them? Have any been done in CA? Are they smog legal?
I have decided to go with 4 motor mounts, two in front and two in back without a dog bone. I have the polly mounts all around with Chevy V8 style in front and Chevy style tranny mount x2 for the rear.
I have a plan for the exhaust, but that is going to have to hold off for a while.

I will try to post some pics of the swap? But the car is not for me, I plan to sell the car after the swap is done. I already rebuilt the front suspension and installed Corvette power steering. I am going to keep the AC and relocate the power steering pump.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
I hope this is in addition to your Shortstar... everyone seems to like that one.
FWIW, we bought a complete running 91 Deville that was smacked pretty hard in the rear for $100. If you get down this way, don't hesitate to contact me and we will show you our works in progress (albeit slow). Got one 4.9 mounted on an 88 cradle with a 5 speed (Isuzu for now). Since this will be a track car, we are not worried about smog, and thus, will use the Eldorado exhausts which should make the entire exhause a fairly simple project. We have a second one that will be going into the roadster, of maybe an 86 SE, complete with stock trans. With the 4 speed and 2.8, the roadster weighed in at 2050 lbs., so the 4.9, even in stock form, should provide plenty of power.

------------------
FierOmar

882m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 882m8Send a Private Message to 882m8Direct Link to This Post
I don't know how much help I could really be but here is my input. I have not completed my swap but it is up and running and I have drove it. I used 5 mounts the two transmission mounts one at the front using the older deville bracket and another at the rear for torque control and a support bracket going to the stock fiero location. There is zero movement in the drivetrain.... This seems to have been a very stable way to mount it. The system was made by Ed Parks of the Fiero Factory... I do not believe he is selling parts anymore... just doing the conversions.
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
I'm also in the middle of the swap. The engine is mounted on the craddle and just about ready to be installed. Unfortunately my daily driver (Formula Firebird) lost a head gasket a week ago and I've been working on that instead. Hope to be back to the 4.9 swap next weekend though. I'm also completely rebuilding the rear suspension with poly bushings and coil overs at the same time so its taking some time to get everything done right.
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I've got one and have helped swap one. I've ran into about every problem possible just because of my luck. I still love the engine though=) Just ask and i've probably been there and done that.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on a 4.9 build right now. Not is cali but there is some good info anyway. Build thread in sig.

------------------
84 SE auto. - a fun original
85 SE V6 4 speed - stock, fully loaded - daily driver
85 GT 4 speed - build thread
88 Coupe 5 speed - runs and drives, needs work, patiently waiting for its turn.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Anyone NOT in California who is interested in a manual transmission, look here for flywheel info:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086922.html

J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Well the way I did mine was first I got out of California and moved to Michigan. Then did the swap. I like the 4.9 and I think It's a good way to, mine has been completed for 4 years and it has never left me broke on the side of the road. Good luck on the swap, plenty of help here on the Forum.

Jack

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I am going to keep the AC and relocate the power steering pump.

This is probably the single greatest contribution to the 4.9 world. I was going to have you do power steering on my 4.9, but my car has yet to be completed enough for me to drive it.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

FierOmar, yes this is in addition to the Shortstar. If I ever make it your way I would definitely like to see your projects.

jscott, I already have a plan in mind for the belt routing and power steering pump, I don't think it will be a problem at all. I've kept an eye on your cars progress, I'm sorry you have had so many issues with painters, I had that happen too. Hopefully, this next year will be better.

Here are some pics, the engine when I got it..

How I modified the cradle for a mount..

New section..

With the mount..

I'll have to post more later as the next 72 hours are work and sleep only.

Thanks,

Rick

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
My 4.9 was done at the Fiero Factory.
It uses 4 point mounting (2 tranny and 2 engine) and has no dog bone.
Ed's folks reinforced the cradle before welding the mounting brackets into place. The whole installation is solid as an anvil.
It uses the Caddy transaxle and PCM. Everything is '91 Deville.
It uses a custom made Y-pipe and the Fiero cat, in the stock Fiero position. It was run through an Ocelot system, but it was waaaaay too quiet.
It's now run through a straight-through chambered muffler (also in the stock position) with a single outlet on the left side. Still is fairly quiet, but better.

Ed's harness uses the Caddy A/C compressor, with the Fiero low-pressure cutout switch. It is not PCM controlled.
Cruise control (mine doesn't have it) again uses the Fiero controller.

The only issues that you may run into (especially in the Peoples' Republik) are the codes and check engine light that will be present since the PCM doesn't have the other modules to talk with.
I'm sure that all of that can be programmed out, but I certainly don't have the resources to do it.

My car passed the idle and two speed dyno (IM-240?) test, that is used in metro Atlanta, with flying colors.

Good luck with your project.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-19-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I for one will be interested in seeing where you come up with mounting the ps pump.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'm nearing the end of a 4.9 swap so a lot of things are still fresh in my mind. I did the four mount system; 2 tranny and 2 engine with no dog bone. I did the Camaro belt tensioner that Mickey Moose and other have developed. Even with a tensioner in the system the geometry is trcky. There's a fine line between being out of travel on the tensioner (79.5" belt) and not being able to get the belt on (79" belt). My exhaust is an offshoot of the Ed Parks style but with two glass packs instead of the single turbo muffler that I had a hard time finding.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 10-20-2007).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:
My exhaust is an offshoot of the Ed Parks style but with two glass packs instead of the single turbo muffler that I had a hard time finding.

Near as I remember, Ed's systems look almost identical to yours. They're functionally the same, anyway.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2007 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post
YOu have a PM bro
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I love my 4.9. I'm really looking forward to seeing your swap. You do some amazing work.

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
87 Coupe: 4 Cyl 5 Speed
84 Coupe: 4 Cyl 4 speed
01 BMW 525i
www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

RONT4.9

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RONT4.9Send a Private Message to RONT4.9Direct Link to This Post
Love mine. Fast, smooth, and Super dependable. Was an easy swap. Check out Rockcrawls web-site.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
There is a Caddy 4.6/4.9 Swap database someplace. I don't have the link at work but I have it at home. will update this post when I get home unless someone beats me too it :P

I sold mine before I moved out of state. Just waiting on a house purchase before I build another one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 10-21-2007).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I made the rear mounts so that they are are exactly the same height width and distance from the engine. The stress on each mount is exactly the same. They sit on top of the cradle, not under the cradle like the stock mounts. This "should" give the mounts a mechanical advantage because the engine needs to lift up and rotate to stress the rear mounts. The engine is 5"-6" lower than the mounts. Also the stock Fiero style exhaust will fit with out any problem.

The front mounts are also the poly type. But they are the Chevy V8 mounts. They are substantially stronger than the rear poly mounts I used. So the fronts are the work horses and the rears are the back ups.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Miss Debbie's 4.9 car after fresh paint-same car as in our sig

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

Matt85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt85GTClick Here to visit Matt85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Matt85GTDirect Link to This Post

I'm nearing the end of a 4.9 swap so a lot of things are still fresh in my mind. I did the four mount system; 2 tranny and 2 engine with no dog bone. I did the Camaro belt tensioner that Mickey Moose and other have developed. Even with a tensioner in the system the geometry is trcky. There's a fine line between being out of travel on the tensioner (79.5" belt) and not being able to get the belt on (79" belt). My exhaust is an offshoot of the Ed Parks style but with two glass packs instead of the single turbo muffler that I had a hard time finding.

I like this setup over many I've seen... three questions:

What is the part number/how loud are the glasspacks?
What size pipe is that?
Where did you get that T pipe and mounting bracketry at.. I've never seen anything like that before.

With a system that small, it would be feasibly affordable to ceramic coat EVERYTHING (except the cat and mufflers) and never have to worry about it again.

PFF
System Bot
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I piped my exhaust from each manifold and ran glass packs at the ends. Summit glass packs that were $40 ea. and I'm very happy with mine.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt85GT:

I like this setup over many I've seen... three questions:

What is the part number/how loud are the glasspacks?
What size pipe is that?
Where did you get that T pipe and mounting bracketry at.. I've never seen anything like that before.

With a system that small, it would be feasibly affordable to ceramic coat EVERYTHING (except the cat and mufflers) and never have to worry about it again.

1) glasspacks are JC Whitney - ZX222814W. The sound is mellow and not offensively loud although I haven't driven it on the street yet.
2) the system is 2-1/2" through the converter and then 2" after.
3) the tee pipe is a standard 2" schedule 10, 304 stainless pipe tee. I got it from ACE Stainless - www.acestainless.com
4) the bracketry is homemade. The springs are from a Fiero exhaust. The tensioning bolts are old head bolts. The rest is from the scrap steel bin.
5) the glass packs are aluminized steel (couldn't find stainless small enough). everything else is 304 stainless except the Fiero tips which are 400 series stainess.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 01-22-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

1) glasspacks are JC Whitney - ZX222814W. The sound is mellow and not offensively loud although I haven't driven it on the street yet.
2) the system is 2-1/2" through the converter and then 2" after.
3) the tee pipe is a standard 2" schedule 10, 304 stainless pipe tee. I got it from ACE Stainless - www.acestainless.com
4) the bracketry is homemade. The springs are from a Fiero exhaust. The tensioning bolts are old head bolts. The rest is from the scrap steel bin.
5) the glass packs are aluminized steel (couldn't find stainless small enough). everything else is 304 stainless except the Fiero tips which are 400 series stainess.

Looking good Scottie, Looking very good. When ya get all of the bugs out of this swap, we'll put one in mine. Tell my Brother there in CC i said Hello
Joe Crawford
thestackpole

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thestackpoleSend a Private Message to thestackpoleDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick question along this thread, do you have to cut the pasenger side strut tower on an '88 if reatining the factory manual transmission? I've had a had time finding definative answers in the archives. Thanks.
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

My build thread in the archives https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-059485.html

Rickady88GT are you still making the corvette rack adapters?

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 01-22-2008).]

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if this helps, but here is a new listing just started for Caddy swappers. Myabe there is one in your area...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/069129.html
Matt85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt85GTClick Here to visit Matt85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Matt85GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey Sanderson, thanks for the great info!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock