Started on: 10-12-2007 11:09 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: Russ544 on 09-05-2008 10:41 AM
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
.................................. SE350 ..........................................

I originally installed a pretty basic 350 street warrior type motor in this car in 2002. nothing fancy, but it put out 325 or 350 hp and would serve to see if I could even get a V-8 in a Fiero. with the help of a basic Archie kit, and a lot of long nights in the garage, a pretty nice ride rumbled out of the garage. of course it only took a few months of cruising to realize that more hp would be required (you can never have enough), so I set about building up the phase 2 motor. I wanted something a little more exotic, so I had Speed-o-motive build me a short block minus cam. (I wanted the largest ci motor I could get with an internal balance but without breaking the bank) by using a 400 block bored 20 over and a stock stroke 350 crank, one comes up with 377 cubic inches. this is a common sprint car configuration and has good rpm potential, as well as plenty of cubic horsepower. 6" rods connect the crank to 9.75:1 KB pistons. when that arrived at my door I had some Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads, manifold, cam and 750cfm carb waiting, along with a set of roller rockers and some dressup items. Back during the phase 1 engine build I had designed a water pump setup by mounting a duke water pump, along with its housing, to the side of the block and driving it with a single v-belt.

Even right out of the box this setup cooled pretty well, but the single v-belt tended to slip and squeal a lot, so when phase 2 engine came along I designed and built a serpentine belt setup for it.

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-16-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
majesticpools

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for majesticpoolsSend a Private Message to majesticpoolsDirect Link to This Post
sheer genius! I like the way you think, I hope to have some tire smokin' power like that someday. Keep up the good work. More pictures too.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
by turning a set of grooves in a new Summit balancer, in my lathe, and fabricating a couple idler brackets, a much better drive was born that seldom needs adjustment or make a peep. of course cooling was even better without the slippage as well.

With the later addition of one of Archies radiators and an engine compartment fan, the cooling has actually almost become _too_ good. without a thermostat installed it never will get over 160* or so.
During the next couple of years I added a Held anti bump steer kit, Barretta front brakes, slalom springs and sway bars, built vents on both sides of the car, and swapped the entire interior from gray to brown. when the IMSA project came along //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/054893.html that took up most of my time doing the body kit and installing the Northstar, so the SE hasn't received much attention for a couple years other than a drive now and then when I felt the need. now that the IMSA is nearing the end of it's development, it's time to get back to the addrenalin machine. I estimate that the parts I have in the 377 should be putting out in excess of 400 hp at the crank, but the Edelbrock cam is very "peeky" in both the torque and HP curves, and I've developed a dislike for the Edelbrock carb for anything other than mild motors. for this phase of the development I've decided on a Comp Cams Extreme energy XE272H cam for it's very flat torque curve which has shown over 400 ft lb from 3300 to almost 6000 rpm in a 350 with similar equipment as my 377. High HP numbers make for a good 1/4 mile time, but torque makes a car rule the streets. this cam, and other minor changes, should put out equal or only slightly less hp than before as well, but be much more stout in the seat of the pants. For a carb I picked up a street demon 650. I haven't had personal experience with this carb yet, but have friends who swear by them and won't use anything else for higher HP motors. I'm told that even this smaller size will put out more hp than the larger Edelbrock and be much more street friendly at the same time.
This is the victim for this project as it sat this morning. the engine compartment looked pretty good when you pop the hood:

but lots of grime has found it's way onto the parts more challenging to clean:

Getting to this point was as far as I could muster today in my state of laziness, but lots of cleanup and rejuvenation lies ahead.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Keep it coming. I love all V8 build/rebuild threads.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
This is going to be fun to watch!
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I didn't get much done on "Killa" this weekend. the wife and I climbed a mountain on Saturday and have both been paying the price on Sunday. I did get the motor separated from the rest of the lump, and pulled a few pieces off, but I couldn't hang it on my engine stand to pull the pan yet cause I can't seem to find my long engine stand mounting bolts. anyway, as grungy as it looks outside it looks pretty clean inside so far:

I had purchased a new Spec 3+ clutch for this prioject several months ago, but I'm seeing so many blown clutches from Spec lately I'm concidering sticking with the Centerforce that's in it now. it actually looks pretty good and I really can't complain about it's service so far...........

Russ544
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I had expected to show how to degree in a cam, but my camera died in mid-degree, so on we go...

With the cam in proper phase with life, the hyd lifters can be adjusted. Now that the anti-wear additive ZDDP has been extracted from all readily available oils (yes even diesel motor oils now), extra caution is needed when a high lift cam, with it's high valve spring pressure, is employed. even the best cam break in lubes can be wiped away from the new lifters and cam lobes if the engine is turned over unnecessarily. the method I use to set valves on a v-8 is to first carefully mark the damper in 90* increments, beginning with TDC.

with the #1 piston on compression stroke and tdc, slowly twist the pushrod on #1 cyl wile turning down the adjustment nut. when you feel drag on the pushrod (zero lash) turn the adjusting nut down another 1/2 - 3/4 turn and lock it in place.

next turn the engine over 90* and adjust the next cyl in the firing order (#8) - then turn another 90* and adjust #4 etc. with only two revolutions of the engine all valves are adjusted this way.
It use to be common practice to spin the engine over with the plugs out to gain oil pressure prior to starting. wile that might seem like a good idea, you will be almost assured of acquiring a flat cam in the next few hours of running as all the break in lube was wiped off the cam lobes in this process. always use a pre-lube shaft, inserted down the distributor hole, with a drill motor to prime the oil system. also be sure to set the #1 piston on compression stroke TDC so you can drop in the distributor and pre-set timing without undue cranking of the engine. you want that motor to fire up as quickly as possible. Comp cams makes a break in oil additive that contains "all the additives that the EPA took out" of our oils this year and is highly recommended for new cam break in (or even after that). I have a case of the stuff in my private stash just in case the EPA finds out they still sell it

I finally found, and purchased, some valve covers that I _really_ like. I have this bizarre hatred of chrome, so these seemed to be just the ticket

unfortunately, even though these are the tall covers for this purpose, they still hit the roller rockers I'm using

I ended up sandblasting the polished covers I had previously and painted them wrinkle black............. I really do hate chrome... These aren't as nice as the new ones, but this car ain't just for show.... its all about horsepower.
As you can see, I also got the BG carb set on there and checked out for compatability with the previous linkage etc. I just swapped over the linkage pin from the Edelbrock. everything from the previous setup seems to line up fine for this carb. throttle linkage is perfect etc. the only thing I need to do is make up a low profile fitting to set in the manifold port that feeds the brake booster. the BGs rear float bowl sets right over that port on my Performer RPM manifold. I guess a guy could drill a new hole and tap it, but a custom fitting seems easier to me.

that's all I could muster today, but next weekend I'll dig out the new low mileage 4 speed I picked up a year ago and start cleaning up the cradle. so on with the show.

Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 11-05-2007).]

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
What water pump are you using? I still have the ccogged system from archies, I wouldnt mind changing ..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)

Boominator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoominatorSend a Private Message to BoominatorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

What water pump are you using? I still have the cogged system from archies, I wouldn't mind changing ..

Looks to be a side mounted pump from a 4-Cyl Iron Duke:

"Back during the phase 1 engine build I had designed a water pump setup by mounting a duke water pump, along with its housing, to the side of the block and driving it with a single v-belt."

Russ 544,

My follow-up question is: do you have any side mount bracket details? Looks like a great design, especially after the serpentine belt conversion. Nice work!

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I've had numerous inquires about the pump and drive system recently so I'll be doing an addendum here about those systems as long as I have the motor out anyway. neither system is for the faint of heart when it comes to fabrication. both systems require that you have a welder, and the drive will require some lathe work as well. is it worth it? _you bet it is_ IMHO. this makes a very trouble free system that cools better than anything I've seen out there yet, as well as having the advantage of using off the shelf replacement parts should the need arise down the road. here is an old pic from when I first set the pump up.

it is indeed a 4 cyl Fiero water pump compleat with it's mounting housing and fittings.

more later,
Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 11-06-2007).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

unfortunately, even though these are the tall covers for this purpose, they still hit the roller rockers I'm using

Which rockers/head you are using? Those looks very similar to the Summit units I used. Rare they couldn't cover tall covers. Was it at the corners where it tapers down? You water pump is nice but the cost of no A/C here south makes it not an option
PFF
System Bot
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I had a little free time at work today, so I solved my little vacume port clearance problem

I took a steel 3/8 x 1/4 NPT fitting and milled a 3/8 slot in the top of one side of it. then I welded a piece of 3/8" brake line tubing into the slot.

Odd that Barry Grant doesn't supply a low profile fitting to use for this issue when used on one of the most popular manifolds on the market..... oh well.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Russ544

2136 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Which rockers/head you are using? Those looks very similar to the Summit units I used. Rare they couldn't cover tall covers. Was it at the corners where it tapers down? You water pump is nice but the cost of no A/C here south makes it not an option

Yup. Summit 1.5:1 rockers. they just barely hit the side of the covers on the push rod ends. I may try elongating the holes in the covers to see if I can slide them over just a scosh, as they are very close to working and I do really like them.
The aluminum cyl heads are the Edelbrock Performer RPM.

I think FieroGuru and a friend of his built a pump a couple years ago that mounts higher up on the motor . not a Fiero pump, but it was an OEM of some kind. I think you could use an ac unit with his setup as I recall. You got a pic of that thing Guru?
Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 11-06-2007).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

You got a pic of that thing Guru?

Sure.

Again requires fabrication skills. Offset housings move the SBC housing 1 3/4" from the block, forward about 3" and raises the rear about 6". The SBC housing is capped with a freeze plug and machined to accept a $29 3.4 water pump insert. The belt drive is now on the backside. I have about 20K miles on this setup, been to FL and back, 2 FieroRamas and 2 Hot Rod Power Tours with literally hours spend idling and hours on the interstate turning 3K... works real well. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want more pics...

Russ544 - back to your regularly scheduled thread. I really like your waterpump setup as well and have "experimented with it". For the balancer another option is to use a 3.1 balancer from a cavalier. It still requires some machining on the backside to extend the seal surface to get the balancer as close to the block as possible, but is easier than turning the v-groves.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-06-2007).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Since I started developing the ITB injection for the Northstar, the engine for this car has just been hanging on the engine stand in my garage looking dejected. I'll get it stuffed back in the car one of these days soon. it just needs to work it's way up my priorities list

oh ya..... "bump"

Russ
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
While it is out, it just needs an ITB setup for it as well...
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

OK. I'll build one for the SBC.... if you commit to buying one from me for your own car also. I got overhead you know

Russ544
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

OK. I'll build one for the SBC.... if you commit to buying one from me for your own car also. I got overhead you know

Russ544

I'll take two, let me check the couch for some change

That would look great on my car!
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

damn it............. now you've got ME thinking about it. %$#@*&^%$

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-17-2008).]

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
That will be a little more of a challange on the SBC won't it?
  • Coolant/Thermostat provisions
  • Intake runners grouped in pairs
  • Distributor Provision
Is the anything else that you have thought of?

I'll take one vith variable runners please

[This message has been edited by Jefrysuko (edited 01-17-2008).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post
what is the profile of the new cam you are installing?
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to comment in here. I love your setup. I am going to have to send a link to this thread to FieroChick. (her car is Red 86SE with a 5spd and a Carbed SBC) I will post a quick reference pic of her Water pump assembly. With the amount of interest in alternate designs for water pumps you / others might find it interesting. Modified Corvette Pump that actually fits in the stock SBC pump location.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 01-17-2008).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

damn it............. now you've got ME thinking about it. %$#@*&^%$

Mission Accomplished!

I would love to see you make one for the SBC (even though I do not have the $$$ to buy one any time soon), but like Jefrysuko said it will have a couple more challanges. Hey, if it was easy - everyone would do it!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12111 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I just wanted to comment in here. I love your setup. I am going to have to send a link to this thread to FieroChick. (her car is Red 86SE with a 5spd and a Carbed SBC) I will post a quick reference pic of her Water pump assembly. With the amount of interest in alternate designs for water pumps you / others might find it interesting. Modified Corvette Pump that actually fits in the stock SBC pump location.

I would love to see what this setup. Here is a V8 waterpump thread with several options, so posting it there would be great!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087394.html
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

what is the profile of the new cam you are installing?

In. 230* - ex. 236* duration @ .050
.487 In. - .490 Ex. lift
110 lobe separation
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Russ544

2136 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

That will be a little more of a challange on the SBC won't it?
  • Coolant/Thermostat provisions
  • Intake runners grouped in pairs
  • Distributor Provision
Is the anything else that you have thought of?

I'll take one vith variable runners please

I don't know about "more" of a challenge, but it would pose different challenges. I'd think I'd mill off the top of a std aluminum manifold to solve most of the hurdles you mentioned. new runner stubs would be welded to the remainder of the manifold, and then attach the TBs much like I did on the N*. The bigger hurdle, as I see it, would be in the ECM. at least one for a reasonable price. the 7730 would be nice for that reason, but I don't know how I'd get a fuel map set up in it. guess we'll have to get Ryan to work on it. in his "spare" time

Russ544
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I will post up the water pump stuff in the other thread, but this is her car. Its should look a little familier to yours.

David
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

I will post up the water pump stuff in the other thread, but this is her car. Its should look a little familier to yours.

David

Yup. I've always had a soft spot for the SE models. and that's a nice looking one. what ya' got in the background there [pulls back curtain to sneek a peek] looks like an..???.. E body perhaps?

Russ544
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I can't comment on the cars in the background. That pick was taken at the shop where the car had been sitting for several years. The previous owner had built the car, then went and got married and had a baby. I may have a few other pics at the shop that show the cars in the background in better detail. I will see what I can dig up.

P.S. I see you are from Oregon. I grew up in Oregon actually bought my 85GT in Oregon when I was 17. Small town called Aurora (25 miles North of Salem, 25 miles South of Portland right on I-5) Nice to see another Oregonian on the forum. There seem to be more and more of us on here. I may be in Canada but my heart is still in Oregon. You did not by chance bump into a couple in a Yellow Fiero on there way to Vegas via LA in August did you. We bumped into someone in Southern Oregon along I-5 for a when we made a fuel stop. Mentioned he had a V8 Fiero back at his shop. We would have stayed to take a look, but were in a hurry to get back on the road.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Yep there are a few of us on here Definitely know where Aurora is, as we like to spend time at Champoeg state park. nice area down there and relatively close to home.

Rich
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

P.S. I see you are from Oregon. I grew up in Oregon actually bought my 85GT in Oregon when I was 17. Small town called Aurora (25 miles North of Salem, 25 miles South of Portland right on I-5) Nice to see another Oregonian on the forum. There seem to be more and more of us on here. I may be in Canada but my heart is still in Oregon. You did not by chance bump into a couple in a Yellow Fiero on there way to Vegas via LA in August did you. We bumped into someone in Southern Oregon along I-5 for a when we made a fuel stop. Mentioned he had a V8 Fiero back at his shop. We would have stayed to take a look, but were in a hurry to get back on the road.

There are becoming more of "us" in Oregon, but still not enough. as far as I know I'm the only one with a V-8 in the lower 1/2 of the state. I sold my 4.3 setup to a guy in Medford, but he hasn't installed it as far as I know, and there's a Lambo kit (stock v-6) and a couple stockers there as well. I don't know of anyone with a yellow Fiero around here however.
I was raised in Oregon and although I've lived in many different states from Fla to Wa I always came back "home" to Oregon. it is a great place to live.

Russ544

PFF
System Bot
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Russ544

2136 posts
Member since Jun 2003
OK... back to the ITB setup for a SBC. just kicking around ideas here, but what if I were to use a 85 - 86 GM TPI lower base manifold like this:

and just add curved runners to attach my TBs. the injector rail and ports are ready to go already, as well as solving all the hurdles I can think of in modifyng another manifold to work. one should also be able to use a GM TPI ECM along with a Painless harness. I'm not familiar with the TPI units, but I have a hunch plenty of hacking has been done on the ECMs so a variety of fuel maps should be available also.

like Archie told me once "I need a clone of myself so I can do all the projects I want to do"

any thoughts on my brainstorming ??

Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-19-2008).]

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I have a hunch that Guru is going to tell you that the runner diameter on that LIM is on the small side.

I stumbled upon this today though.

12464482 - Lower Manifold, 502 Ram Jet

Unfortunately that is for a BBC. I have no idea if the SBC Ramjet is a two piece manifold like that or not.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Unfortunately that is for a BBC. I have no idea if the SBC Ramjet is a two piece manifold like that or not.

I believe the 350 version is one piece.

edit: you've been sneeking around over at 3rd gen again haven't you.

R

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 01-20-2008).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Yes the RamJet 350 version is 1 piece.

The holley stealth ram is two pieces, but the ports are very close together where they spilt - but a guy handy with a Mill could take off a couple of inches and get them further apart. But there could be clearance issues with the injector angle and the ITB. Kissmyss is parting out his car in the mall and he used to have a Holley stealth ram setup for it a long time ago.

While the TPI runner size is on the small size, if the runner length is kept short it could still make decent power.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-20-2008).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Wow. I'm surprised this isn't in the archives yet. It may be a wile yet before I make any headway on the SBC/ITB, but I really need my shop back so the motor is finally going back in the car, albeit with the Barry Grant carb and new cam for now. the engine has been hanging on my engine stand long enough . Last Sunday I got the low mile 4 speed out of my "back shed" and got it cleaned up and painted. the new Spec 3+ got bolted on the flywheel, and the trans bolted to the engine. then the whole package was lowered onto the cradle about supper time. so there it sits. I'd most likely have it in the car if I could have found all the parts that have wandered off in the past several months since I pulled it out . Anyway.... I'll post up a pic or two before too long and wrap this thing up for now, in preparation for my next project. I recently bought a 66 Corvair that I think needs some alterations that GM never thought of .

unsafe at any speed,
Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 08-12-2008).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
The Demon carb is rated in wet flow, while the Edelbrock is rated dry. Long story short, the Edelbrock doesn't really flow as much air as it's rated to. Holley also rates wet.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

The Demon carb is rated in wet flow, while the Edelbrock is rated dry. Long story short, the Edelbrock doesn't really flow as much air as it's rated to. Holley also rates wet.

The smaller Edelbrock was ok, and in fact I'd still use one on a very mild street motor, but the 750 IMHO is a piece of crapola. size notwithstanding, it just didn't perform well for me, or for several others whom I've spoken with since. poor response, stumble, etc. All in all I think Edelbrock should have stuck with what they are good at... manifolds. If they wanted to copy a carb, at least they could have picked something newer than the 40+ year old design they did copy.

Russ
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I am impressed with the water pump mod. I've been thinking of doing some kind of mod like that to my V8 for years. It seems that for every bit of service on my car, step one is remove water pump and it is getting annoying.
Nice job!
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (daily driver), 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

David

OK I see a 67-69 F Body in the back ground, is that also a Covair and an Orginal Mini behind the Fireo as well????

------------------

Found a Red 84 4speed, Waiting to get a house so I can re-home it

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock