5spd Isuzu (Fiero 4cyl) Transmission Compatibility by cowans
Started on: 09-20-2007 10:20 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: cowans on 04-22-2008 07:33 AM
cowans

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
My V8 eats Isuzu's every 2 years.
I am trying to find a complete list of compatible Isuzu tranny/what year/cars.
ie: Isuzu mk7/what cars/years/engine size???? possible ratios?
Anyone... as asking boneyards without being able to be specific is almost futile!
thanks, Sandy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...just wondering if it would be an option to just pick up a FWD Getrag?
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You could upgrade to 1999 cavalier isuzu, but at that rate you could also just go to 2000+ getrag.
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...just wondering if it would be an option to just pick up a FWD Getrag?

Naw, from what I've seen lately, the Getrags' have their flaws as well! Plus, I believe I'd have to change out the CV inners as well as cables......
thanks for your reply
Sandy
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

cowans

630 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

You could upgrade to 1999 cavalier isuzu, but at that rate you could also just go to 2000+ getrag.

Hmm, does that mean the ratios are the same as the earlier ones. I guess that's why I'm asking.... is to find out what trannys, of what cars/years will be compatible? As I stated earlier, finding a boneyard with knowledgable experience, welll, that's a tall order!
thanks, Sandy
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

Naw, from what I've seen lately, the Getrags' have their flaws as well! Plus, I believe I'd have to change out the CV inners as well as cables......
thanks for your reply
Sandy

what flaws are you talking about? with a FWD getrag you will eliminate the only real flaw that fiero getrags have which is weak spider gears... check out m sig... I have a 92-94 FWD differential assembly in mine. with all this work it is MUCH stronger then a brand new G6 6-speed. and cheaper.

no sence waisting money replacing trannys every year, why no just do it right the first time.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street. FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !
355cid 400hp/tq N/A SBC, 4 bolt main
Nitrous Oxide: 1st stage - 125shot direct port. 2nd stage - 75shot plate.
87 GT, Cryo Treated 5-speed Getrag, Gr8grip LSD, Spec Stage 3 clutch.

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Please.... I'm just looking at possible compatible Isuzu /year/vehicle tranny.
Sandy
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure all the 4 cylinder GM's of the Fiero era that had the five speed got the Isuzu so as long as it is from an engine that has the same bell housing it should work. There is one Fiero with the Isuzu still in it or was last time I was there at a wreckers in Kingston, it is an import wreckers on Macadoo lane. If not there should be lots of FWD Isuzu's still at other wreckers in the same area.
Not sure on the compatability with the Fiero but pretty sure it is just a matter of changing over the shifter portion on the tranny for use in a Fiero, but you most likely know motre about that then I do. Dan
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post

FIEROFLYER

3974 posts
Member since Oct 2002
I checked with my Hollander that covers from 77 to 87 so some newer years might also work. 85-86 Fiero 4 cylinder Isuzu 5 speed Hollander # 2087also comes in Cutlass Calais 85-86, Cavalier 85-86, Cimarron 85-86, grand Am 85-86, Skylark 86 and Sommerset 85-86.
Also 87 Fiero 4 cylinder 5 speed hollander # 2178 came in the 87 Beretta with the 2.0L, the 87 Calais, the 87 Cavalier with the 2.0L, the 87 Corsica with the 2.0L, the 87 Grand Am with the 2.5L, the 87 Skylark and the 87 Somerset.
Like I mentioned my book only covers up to 87 so some 88 up tranny's will most likely fit. Dan
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
I'm running this MK7 behind my LT1. I havent had it back there long enough to give it a reliabilty check but I'm happy with it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081184.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/082252.html

------------------

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input guys..... Dan(Fieroflyer), I going to follow Bonzo's lead and go with a a later MK7. Bonzo, I too had seen that Ebay ad and considered purchasing that new tranny! I just hesitated as my car was running strong with no need to tear down. I wish there were more of those new units. Any body with any leads of a new one? Bonzo, thanks so much for your links, spells everything out! Enjoy the new tranny!!!
Sandy
PFF
System Bot
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

cowans

630 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Well, I didn't waste any time. Just purchased a 98 tranny MK7 with 63k kms, internal slave is there. Looks good but maybe I'll replace the slave to be safe.
thanks again Bonzo
Sandy
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Measure the distance from your existing tranny bellhousing face to the throwout bearing. You will proly have to put a spacer behind your throwout bearing. If the TOB traveles to far you will destroy it.

Bonzo
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Bonzo: What did you use to take up that 1/4" or so?
Sandy
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonzo:

Measure the distance from your existing tranny bellhousing face to the throwout bearing. You will proly have to put a spacer behind your throwout bearing. If the TOB traveles to far you will destroy it.

Bonzo

If I can jump in here...
Are you talking about overextending the TOB due to the volume of fluid that it can handle? (Which, I'm assuming, is less than the Fiero's slave.)
Would it be worthwhile to find the clutch master cylinder that came from the same car as this tranny did?
I've been wondering about that since I saw your post, a couple of months ago.

Edit - Nevermind. I found your old thread. I see that the Sunfire M/C won't necessarily prevent you from blowing out the TOB. A spacer is still required.
Thanks for sharing.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-24-2007).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
???
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Hi Maxcubes.... just recieved notification that this thread is still alive! I'm just going to assume by '??' that you would like a recap!. I used a 3/16" thick aluminum washer (machine one up) to space the Throw-out bearing away from the tranny case, therefore taking up some of the slack. What I found was when the clutch pedal was operated, the clutch would re-engage very late on the pedal, proving to me that the Fiero master was pushing more fluid than the Sunfire. I simply put an adjustable rod(master cylinder)(((make one or Rodney Dickman sells them))) and adjusted the throw (loose'r pedal/less length/less throw) to where my foot felt comfortable at re-engagement. The MK7/internal clutch has performed well!
best
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 04-22-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock