adjusting the trans bands by serealport
Started on: 09-16-2007 12:28 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-29-2008 10:43 PM
serealport

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
does any one now how to adjust the bands on an automatic for an86 se v6

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
come on

somebodies got to know how to adjust the bands on an aoutomatic tranmission
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I think that is from years ago and not applicable to Fiero trans. I have not heard that term since Amco did transmission ads on TV when I was a kid.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Second gear is by band in the TH125, Mike.
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

I just went through the trans manual and there is no mention of a way to adjust it. The intermediate band tension is determined by the size of the pin that is inserted inside the transmission. It don't look like there is any way of adjusting it while the trans is in the car.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Question is, what are you trying to do exactly? Is there some problem you are having that you think will be fixed by adjusting the band?

If you have a problem there may be another way of fixing it.

Edit: Spellin'

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 09-16-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Question is, what are you trying to do exactly? Is there some problem you are having that you think will be fixed by adjusting the band?

If you have a problem there may be another way of fixing it.

yes as a matter of fact the trans wont shift into third gear and im trying to fix it w/ out replacing the entire transmission
any help or ideas are welcome

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Dont sound like a band problem. I take it the trans is hanging in 2nd and wont shift to 3rd. I dont know about the 80's trans but the older ones I'd look for a bad modul;ator valve or cracked vac hose to the mod-valve.
Sometimes if you wind it out "the engine" it will eventually shift with a big thump.

On the other hand it could be a stuck servo or acumulator in the trans.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

At least it not a new style tranny. I heard some of them dont even have a dip stick.
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
No simple fix for a 2-3 shift problem, all internal. Overhaul or swap to a manual ( manual might actually be cheaper )

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, if it were a band problem you would have problems with all forward gears. The intermediate band is engaged with all forward gears. There are some troubleshooting steps you could check in order to narrow it down.

fieronews.net has the automatic trans manual available for download. There is a trouble shooting guide in there that you can follow step by step and figure out exactly what is wrong with it.

hope this helps.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Sounds more like a bad or sticking valve body or worn out clutch pack to me. High gear transfers power thru a clutch pack not bands.
PFF
System Bot
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:

No simple fix for a 2-3 shift problem, all internal. Overhaul or swap to a manual ( manual might actually be cheaper )

yes manual is cheaper and i would like to put in a manual but i dont know how to do the conversions / install a clutch
if it is relitively easy to do and if someone knows how then i would like to do that

Originally posted by roggergarison:

Sounds more like a bad or sticking valve body or worn out clutch pack to me. High gear transfers power thru a clutch pack not bands.

you are not the first person to say that about the clutch pack. do you know of any way to check w/out removal of whole trans
also what os the bet method for cleaning out the valve body

thanks for all your help
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

serealport

286 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Originally posted by Spoon:

Dont sound like a band problem. I take it the trans is hanging in 2nd and wont shift to 3rd. I dont know about the 80's trans but the older ones I'd look for a bad modul;ator valve or cracked vac hose to the mod-valve.
Sometimes if you wind it out "the engine" it will eventually shift with a big thump.

On the other hand it could be a stuck servo or acumulator in the trans.

yes the reason im asking this is becouse ive got a 65 w/ auto and the bands were in need of adjustment but that car dident go in any forward gear at all reverse worked fine as well as P and N

"Sometimes if you wind it out "the engine" it will eventually shift with a big thump" could you explain???
"On the other hand it could be a stuck servo or acumulator in the trans." and this
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
I didn't see it asked, but did you check the fluid level?
My old transmission (as in, I replaced it anyway) wouldn't shift from 2 to 3 and the fluid level was right at the bottom of the cross hatch area. Topped it to just below the top of the cross hatch area (on the dip stick) and it started shifting into 3rd. Just a thought.

I admit, I am not real familiar with the TH125, as I swapped it for a 5 speed.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 09-17-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

I admit, I am not real familiar with the TH125, as I swapped it for a 5 speed.

did you go from an auto to a stick ?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
My fiero has had 3 engines. the first (original) was the '85, 2.5 with an auto. I then put an '88, 2.5 with a 5 speed. Now I have a 3800, and back to an auto.
so, yes. at one time I went from an auto to a stick.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 09-17-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
how long and how much$$ would have to go int auto to manual and how dificult is it to put in a clutch

ive been thinking about this for a while but my skills as a mech are not great and i dont want to get into a project i cant finish

thanks for all your help

on a differnt note could somebody go over how to clean out the valve body on the trans
because im poor and cant afford to pay for a real mechanic

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-17-2007).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Not much to do internally without pulling it out. You might try adding some Lucas Trans conditioner to clean the valve body.
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Check the TV cable for binding or misadjustment. It will cause slipping if not adjusted properly........Paul
pontiacman63383

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

At least it not a new style tranny. I heard some of them dont even have a dip stick.

Yes there sealed units there is no way to do anything to them when you have a problem you just replace the hole thing. (and there only rated to go 100K great idea GM
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
ok right now the car is on blocks in my arage and i would like to know how to clean the valve body out (and do a god job ) but not take it to a mechanic

i have the tools and work space but i dont know how
thanks
PFF
System Bot
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
does any one have any inkling as to what the procedure is for cleaning out the valve body

i would really like to have my car back on the road
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2007 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The most common problem with 80s transmmision is T V cable,, ajust it is easy to do look at manual as you perform.do this before you do any thing it is simple AJUST t v CABLE CLEAN FLUID is important if you floor engine and it shifts hard probably T V cable next in line is fluid then governor , first ajust cable then repost with resuts this is simple .. tv cable goes to tbi and transmission,cable should operate freely if not look for fraded wires and trim..you will see the T V ajuster its big lump on cable release ajust tab ,,halve moon looking dofolley,, pull slider back until it stops,, release tab.. now rotate throttle wide open it will self ajust if you look at manual all will be revealed better that I can say,, dont mess with governor ar the other dofolley untill you ajust T V you will be surprised how easy this is

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 09-21-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

The most common problem with 80s transmmision is T V cable,, ajust it is easy to do look at manual as you perform.do this before you do any thing it is simple AJUST t v CABLE CLEAN FLUID is important if you floor engine and it shifts hard probably T V cable next in line is fluid then governor , first ajust cable then repost with resuts this is simple .. tv cable goes to tbi and transmission,cable should operate freely if not look for fraded wires and trim..you will see the T V ajuster its big lump on cable release ajust tab ,,halve moon looking dofolley,, pull slider back until it stops,, release tab.. now rotate throttle wide open it will self ajust if you look at manual all will be revealed better that I can say,, dont mess with governor ar the other dofolley untill you ajust T V you will be surprised how easy this is

thanks for the write up but ive alredy checked and reajusted the TV cabe and fluid is good

however i dont know how to check the governer so if some one would tell me that and or how to clean the valve body that would be helpful

thanks

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-21-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

serealport

286 posts
Member since Apr 2007
just a thought

would it make any diff if the screw that holds the TV cable to the tranny housing was snaped off
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
When you move the throttle does the cable end housing move?
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
as best i can tell the housing on the end is staying in place

if that where the problem could i put a peice of duct tape on it for a test run ( how hot would that areaget in a five minite drive)

thanks
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
first repair tv cable hold down remember the tv cable only moves a small amount,so it would not take much movement in cable to effect shift,,this cable must move freely check for frayed wires.some jb blaster will free sticky cable,,I jb blast, shoot brake cleaner,then lube sticky cable.. the governor is at speedo 1 remove speedo driven gear 2 remove governor cover & oring 3 remove speedo drive gear do not loose washer 4 now remove governor,, check thrust washer and seal seal could be missing check spring for proper seat..are weights binding?? is exhaust ball in good shape is it there,, governor gear could be strippedalso the governor cover could be worn ,, there are valves with control over 2to 3 shift and only way to clean is to floor pedal while moving at low speed or remove and disassemble.. the acumulator controls 1 to 2 but can effect 2 to 3 if leaks doubt this is problem ..write down sequence of disasembly of governor.. I have trans manual there are 40 thing that could be wrong but the tv cable is the guiltiest suspect in transmission crimes..primary cable is also round up suspect
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
never mind

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-24-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

serealport

286 posts
Member since Apr 2007
i think i may have found the problem but im not sure if this fixes it im gonna feel really stupid
on the tv cable near the coffee can looking thing ( taht i thik is for cruise contol bt not sure) the bolt that was holding the tv cable still was gone and so i replaced it and readjusted the cable so im gonna try it and see if it works so cross your fingers every one

i was going to go for a quick test drive to night but im gonna have to post pone that till tomorrow cause i dident get the starter motor on quite right so that will wait till after work tomorrow

and i have a few questions
1 if i took off the pan and drained out the tranny oil how much would i have ( did not take off filter or TC or any thing cept the pan) for the th125
2 how nessisary are the gaurds on the back of the brake rotors cause i think i heard this Q in another post but i dont remeber
3 could some one post pics of the bracket for the starer motor so i can put it on right tomorrow

thank you all for your help so far
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
REPLACE filter get best price and replace, drain completely and add 3.5 quarts then run engine and place in reverse gear and move a few feet,then move forward,,, if fluid has bad smell(sniff like dog) when you drain or looks dirty just add 3 quarts circulate in system and redrain,,YOU can not drain the system yourself,, Id rather attend a timeshare sales pitch than go to transmission shop.. your favorite garage may be able to do ,, many small orifice,washers close tolerence moving parts in transmission .. the fluid required is 4 quarts after a drain,, underfill so you do not overfill ,,after run engine and transmission then bring to approximate level,, this is to keep from overfill ,not easy to remove excess fluid,,contrary to the opinion of many this is one of the most reliable transmissions G. M. ever made,and cheap to rebuild,, repair easy stuff first ,,EYEBALL has produced new defects,,I know little about auto transmissions,,but for the novice .. the leading cause of transmission problems with the t125 (1) is low fluid followed ,(2)by T V ajustment (3) dirty filter & fluid (4) governor (5)clogged hole (10) accumulator These transmissions will out live many engines,many fieros in junk yard with bad motors, few because of auto tranny
PFF
System Bot
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
well i have a sneaking suspicion that i found the problem but i dident put the stareter motor in right and now gotta go back under real quick but that will wait untill tomorrow

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-24-2007).]

serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
just a thought would unplugging the wires to the speedometer cause any problems (other than no speedo reading)
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

serealport

286 posts
Member since Apr 2007
i am so frustrated
dad told me if i cant fix this problem and get my car running he's gonna sell this car for scrap parts and use the money to buy some POS to drive to school i payed 500 for this car and dumped 200 into fixing the engin and on the way to the DMV to get tags the tranny acts up and now i cant fix it i have readjusted the tv cabl again and new fluid again plus the governer which i pulled ( i think) and the gears on that did'ent look striped at all the looked fone as far as i can tell

if any one has any ideas im more than happy to listen please
pluses will be given for helpful answers
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

serealport

286 posts
Member since Apr 2007
well new problems on the list starter wont engage properly sometimes it will sometimes it wont and now the car wont shift into second only first but if you are in drive or second and get going about 30 mph and let of the rpms drop to normal (and not like if it were in first on the gear shift) as in you pop it into N

i am so confused and frustrated right now and im tired if always fixing my car and never getting to drive it and to add to that both my older brothers have mustangs and their cars havent had any major problems with the engin or tranny
this is all very annoying
once again ANY help or sugjestions are welcome,thanks
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
When you removed the starter did you have a shim between the starter and the block? Shims are used to space the starter so it engages correctly. My 2.8L had 1 shim and when I switched to the 3.4L engine I still needed the shim.

Auto trans issues suck. If it comes down to it could you swap in another?
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
maybe, i did have what i thought was a gaurd of some kind but now that you mention it i remember why i put it with the motor thanks and could you clarify what constitutes good gov. from bad
thanks
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2007 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I thought you had found problem!!Since you mention speedo you were at governor..if all parts look good chances are not the problem..you can blow in orifices using small hose...did you install parts correctly?? I can not see it from here,, I can not seem to to get a clear pitchure of your problems you need some one close to you who has fiero experience,, contact local fiero club..this is a 20 year old car ,a $500.oo car is just that.. only luck can keep you from having problems.. hope you can keep because fiero is unique car compared to the rest of the herd,, the starter on the duke has a plate that covers the flywheel and starter gears ,this goes on before starter . the bracket open side goes toward engine ..the suport bracket is impossible to install incorrectly.( I think) think only on duke.I,m not sure what problem is ,if O.K. before you remove, probably a mistake in remount,, I,ll look at manual tommorow and reread post 1:30 now.. transmission swap is major operation and you need a lot of parts and car will be down a long time ,you need better thab average mechanical skills for this .. this is major repair,, forget this maybe if friend has good relation with auto trans shop you can get free advise ,, The advise I am giving is beyond my expertise ,but know the frustration ,no money, need car if you attend school now is time to befriend chief school motor head .. do they have auto mechanic class?? check with school that has auto mechanic class you should find assistence there,, the problem you have now are minor compared to what would happen with swap unless you had whole car,, when you dissasemble, line up parts as you remove ,eyeball all connectors before removal even write down order of removal.. you have made worse so use care ,you need help.. did you take governor apart and then transmmision worked worse?? sometimes seals and orings fall apart when messed with

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 09-25-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I am going by the FSM. Read the description and see if it makes sense with what you saw. On the diagnosis page it shows that a bad 1-2 shift could be caused by the governor weights binding and not properly expanding when it spins.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2007 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
accolates hudini!! my words could not paint picture.. I presume when you take apart governor ,you did not disasemble weights ect ,and you check trans fluid while hot.. I keep comming back to t v cable or clogged orifice..rolling about 5 mph in 1st(in drive) floor the engine untill it shifts to 2nd do not over rev engine,,try this a few times,,it will not hurt anything and may loosen trash from some part,worked for me in past year with t bird.. your problems have become worst even with our assistance.. be precise in decription of problems.. remember we are reading ,and guessing..so info needs to be as complete as possible.. I am guessing,based on experience and looking at 20 year old motors manual with good auto trans section on t125,, does throttle move easily, the governor and the accumulator are the only parts you can service not sure if you can access accumulator in T125 it would be in bell housing(torque converter it is much easier to rebuild this transmission than to swap in clutch and straight shift unit,,many swap advocates on this forum,but good work space,, determination, tools and above average mechanical skills needed,,and patience of those around you..plus often you do not know if transmission you install is good so you must check inside.. you are in run what you brung situation!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock