Started on: 09-16-2007 12:28 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-29-2008 10:43 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

Yeah, if it were a band problem you would have problems with all forward gears. The intermediate band is engaged with all forward gears. There are some troubleshooting steps you could check in order to narrow it down.

This is incorrect. The band is only engaged in 2nd gear. That's why it's called the *intermediate* band.

fieronews.net has the automatic trans manual available for download. There is a trouble shooting guide in there that you can follow step by step and figure out exactly what is wrong with it.

hope this helps.

Good advice.

Anyway, bands in the TH125 are not adjustable.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-25-2007).]

IP: Logged
serealport

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
ive got the gov. out of my car and in my hand and it dosent look like the diagram but if it is then i dont know how to take it apart (havent done any thing to it other than just look at it)
best i could get (camra phone)

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Those 2 shiny silver things are the weights. They are held down by springs. All you are looking for is the weights to swing out freely without hitting each other or binding. Plus any obvious damage. If it all looks good then replace and start looking elsewhere.

I would suggest a pressure check if you can get a hold of the right gauge.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Looks just like the part in my motor manual, minus the speedo gear does your governor have the parts I listed in my post about gov disasembly??,, there are different models of t125 and there would be differences in governor one year to another I do not have good photo or diagram in my manual
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
ok let me see if i got this right from what i see these to weights were not ment to swing out

if therse are the weights then they cannot swing out because they wrap around the core
if i could get ms paint to work right id draw an illistration

but from what i see there is no way to get the wheights to fling out

unless there is one that is heavier than the other in that case it seemes to be working fine

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-26-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Yes, one is heavier. They are called primary and secondary weights with the primary being heavier. If everything looks ok then time to look elsewhere. Personally, I would look in the local junkyard to see how much another would cost. Or post a WTB ad in the Mall. There are several members close by Memphis and the Fiero Factory is in Alabama south of Nashville. You can get a replacement for pretty cheap. I mean, if the TV cable is adjusted properly and the fluid/filter is good, everything else is internal and requires opening up the trans. The only other external check is to get a pressure test.

One last stab though, have you tried placing the car on jackstands with the rear wheels in the air then run the car in gear while pulling on the TV cable? The TV cable varies the amount of pressure the pump puts out. What I'm suggesting is to manually pull the TV cable yourself while the engine is run up to speed to see if that makes any difference. Can't hurt as long as the car is secure on the jackstands and you stay away from the rear wheels.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
well i cant do anything with it today cause its rained a lot today and everthing is wet plus i got to run siblings around so i will get back to it tommorow if it is dry

thanks for all your help so far

edit: can you mix tranny fluid such as coastal ATF D/M and castrol domestic multi-vehicle ATF ???

good thank you

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 09-26-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You can mix BRANDS all day as long as it's the same TYPE fluid. For our cars it's Dexron III.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2007 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
One last stab though, have you tried placing the car on jackstands with the rear wheels in the air then run the car in gear while pulling on the TV cable? The TV cable varies the amount of pressure the pump puts out. What I'm suggesting is to manually pull the TV cable yourself while the engine is run up to speed to see if that makes any difference. Can't hurt as long as the car is secure on the jackstands and you stay away from the rear wheels.

um are you saying put the car in gear and let it idle on the jackstands or should i get it up to 30-40 mph and when i pull the tv cable out the car should down shift

because i wasent shure so i tride with a number of differnt speed and it did not have any affect as far as i could tell But i was in the car and dont know how well the cable was pulld i will check some more after school and hope fully get some more info

thanks again
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking the rear wheels off the ground with the car on jackstands so it does not go anywhere. You start the car, put it in gear and step back to the engine compartment. With the TV cable unhooked from the throttle body use one hand to move the throttle and the other to pull the TV cable. See if you can get the car to shift out of first. Also, check the TV cable closely at both ends. Make sure you are getting full travel. Disconnect it at the trans and watch the inner cable for full travel.

I once had a shift problem with my TH125c equipped 1987 Buick. Everything I checked looked good. By luck I happened to see a stray bit of cable sticking out where the inner braided cable meets the outer sheath for the TV cable. When I pulled back the little plastic piece that sits right at the end of the sheath I could see the inner braided cable was frayed. The frayed cable looked like a little birds nest and was stopping the cable from returning all the way into the sheath. Once I replaced the TV cable all was well.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
sorry for not posting for a while but the enternet is down at my house and im posting during my luch break at school

ok i did the whole up on jack stands procedure and it seemed as though the tv cable did nothing im gonna pull it out and go over it witha fine tooth comb but i thing it is good if you all have any other ideas please let me know otherwise im gonna have to swap or rebuild the tranny and that means im not gonna get to drive my car for a long time

so before i do that i may have to get another car and wait on the fiero untill summer when im done with school
thanks for all your help
PFF
System Bot
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
well we have just bought another car and so the fiero is going on the shelf for a while
plus insurance just payed us so now we can fix my brothers car

but im pretty sure that im back to a tranny swap so watch cause i think i will have questions during the swap
also im on the lookout for a tranny in good shape near memphis TN

thanks for every ones help
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I would have done the same thing. After checking and rechecking and testing it seems the only thing left is a replacement or rebuild. Hope it all goes well.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
It's not a hard tranny to rebuild, I never got into the part name specifics for the autos I rebuilt, I just took the old and bad parts out and put the new ones in. As for the band adjustment I do believe it is possible to adjust it however you need the shift program improver to do it. I used the washer rings that came with my shift kit and set band tightness as close as I could get it within allowable specs. The result was much quicker shifts due to the reduced travel necessary to clamp down on the drum. Shift points were little thumps instead of slides.

I believe your old tranny is just worn out. A T.V. cable that sticks in the closed valve position will cause the tranny to shift to early, if it sticks in the distended range it will cause shifts to occur late at higher rpms and possibly not at all. The improper function of it particularly not opening when it should will burn up your tranny. I watched trans temp rise into the danger region on a tranny fluid temp gauge due to an improperly adjusted T.V. cable being tampered with on one of my own vehicles. The guy that built it told me such an adjustment problem could ruin the transmission.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
well just for kicks i went and rececked eery thing that has been mentioned and it is all still the same so i think i may get another tranny rebuild it and then swap all at once so i dont forget how it goes together

ok now to get off topic have bought a buick LeSabre 89 with v6 3800 in it and im wondering if it has the th125 in it im gonna search real quick but if you guys know of an easy way to ID the tranny with out jaking up the car let me know

thanks

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 10-06-2007).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by serealport:

well just for kicks i went and rececked eery thing that has been mentioned and it is all still the same so i think i may get another tranny rebuild it and then swap all at once so i dont forget how it goes together

ok now to get off topic have bought a buick LeSabre 89 with v6 3800 in it and im wondering if it has the th125 in it im gonna search real quick but if you guys know of an easy way to ID the tranny with out jaking up the car let me know

thanks

I believe your LeSabre has a 4T60 in it.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
quick question are the exaust manifolds cast iron ( got a crack in mine and if they are cast Fe then im gonna fix it when i pull the engin and tranny if not i will do it sooner

thanks
EDIT : does any one know where to get a chiltons manual ive heard they are good are they much if any better then a haneys manual (ie more detail better explination diagrams exploded veiws

also for three decent mechanics with a kit but no tranny xp how long should an auto tranny take to rebuild
again thanks

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 10-07-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
They are grade 409 stainless steel. I welded mine with mild steel Mig wire. Burns Stainless has some articles on welding stainless. I think grade 309 is recommended for welding on 409.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
good i was hoping that they were not casrt iron

thank you much
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Rebuilding can be done by anyone able to follow directions and has a few tools. You may have to purchase a special tool or two but it's still way cheaper than an AAMCO rebuild. My experience with a 700-R4 auto was $200 for a complete rebuild. $65 for the "Master Rebuild Kit", about $70 for broken gears, about $40 for 2 special tools, and $25 for a new 2/4 band.

I used the Haynes trans rebuild manual found at most large parts chains.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
the chilton can be ordered from fiero store,,just make list of stuff you need and place one order,,have them send you the catalog.. the chilton is better if you have mechanical experience the main reason is it has excellent section on rebuild manual transmission,a schematic of each transmission,excellent drawings. I have very old chilton manual,new may have changed , haynes manuals have photos you just have to look closer but a lot of detail is captured in the photos.. haynes manuals seem to predominate in my area auto stores,, Do not attemp auto rebuild with out some guide like the manual hudini recomended,hudini,s post always seem to be gold & short. call local auto stores to find what you want..
PFF
System Bot
RCCDrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCCDrewSend a Private Message to RCCDrewDirect Link to This Post
Did he even pull the trans pan? A clogged filter can cause the problems he stated. Check if the fluid is burned up or has chunks in it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Hudini has it right. It should cost about $200 for a rebuild kit and another $35 for a shift kit (worthwhile). Now for a novice to to rebuild ,just buy the rebuilding video from JC Whitney and follow it step by step. The TH-125H is not hard to rebuild if you just follow the step by step directions as in the video.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock