Started on: 07-29-2007 03:22 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: revin on 06-16-2008 02:03 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
i got a poly kit for my suspension, rear and front. Can someone tell me if im doing this wrong because its not really fitting right. Im pretty sure i have the right bushings in the right parts so far, they really only fit in one way i guess. But still ..Look.

Hmmmm. Another things thats kinda getting me down, i ordered the upper control arm bolts from the Fiero store because they are impossible to find in hardware stores here. Well, i go the bolts but it wasn't just my old bolts that were worn out. The sleeve on the x member the bolt goes into is worn out also. Anyone know how i would go about replacing that? It looks like i would have to take it down and fabricate something totally custom

This is how the car sits. Just waiting to get a tow sticker lol.

Im not sure how they would tow it? But i dont want to find out.
I want to get my car drivable for the Heartland Fiero show. Aside from my harness probably trying to make it through Canadian customs, if i cant get these to go in im kinda sol. I have so many shows to go to this particular month its ridiculous lol. HELP!

heres some pics for your time TIA

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
While I don't understand poly suspension components, maybe this bump to the top will help you get some assistance,

My appartment is tough on parking lot repairs too, maybe you could set the tires/ wheels into the wheel wells so your repairs aren't so obvious to the neighborhood. (yeah, I know, pita)
multmigs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post
Some past threads have suggested that the poly will be a slight bigger than the "hole" it has to go into and doesn't compress like the rubber would, those people solved the problem by sanding the bushings a bit to remove some of the face material that would be contacting the frame. Not sure what the bracket is you want to replace, I removed everything from the front of my car and its all replaceable as far as I know
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that looks right. I dont see them but there should be "caps" to fit on the small side of the bushing to to make it about the same size on both sides. The setup fits pretty snug in there. When I did mine last year I just squeezed it in there and after I got everything in there and bolted down it fit and moved fine. Your going to compress it and snug it up anyways with the bolts.

I know what your talking about with the worn out sleeve on the x member. Mine showed very little wear but I have heard of a couple guys having problems with that. That bracket is welded in and you dont have much of a choice of either taking out that bracket and replacing with a new one or weld just another face on to the existing bracket with the right hole size and placement.

Jason
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
only thing I see wrong with your poly is you need the thing in this pic on the smaller end:

it fits over the smaller end, besides that grease it up, it should slide in. if you have problems, get a jack and gently raise it pushing pressure on it, shouldnt take too much effort, its supposed to be tight.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys very much. The ring were my next question lol well along with.... All of the polly cup type thing, i guess they go on the tie rods? can anyone elaborate where all 8 go lol? Thanks!
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
BTW - everyone has a plus! Holiday... i cant give you another plus wish i could but ive plused you out lol
eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I can't say about the poly but it looks like the others have you covered.
On the xmember, bad news. You either have a replacement piece welded on to close the gap or use a new member, (he-he, memeber). You can pick one up from the fiero store for like a buck fifty. Mine is rusted alongthe shaft of the upper control arm and has a gap that allows for some pretty nasty movement causing some minor steering issues and a jump/clunk when the wheel is turned all the way. The worst is due to this, the ball joint is seeing some premature wear. Good luck man.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
another tip if the polly is a tight fit put it in the freezer, polly shrinks then it should slip right in

thats why alot of polly squeeks more in the colder weather months
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I came up with a solution for the worn sleeve. I took the old, thick metal bushings and welded a piece of thick metal tube behind it. This works good i think. No play at all and how it fits on the ends makes the whole thing somewhat strong. i made it so they didn't need to be welded but if i wanted to i could. If i were to weld them on i would do it when everything is back together.

Looks like i need to take the sand blaster to all that. EEk

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Those ring things wont work. They stick out farther than the bushing does.
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Freeze your poly overnight, they go in easier when still frozen because they shrink when really cold.
Oh remember, if you think you have enough grease on them, add more.
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Those ring things wont work. They stick out farther than the bushing does.

Those rings have to be trimmed. I used a dremmel to trim it to the right size. A royal PITA to get it perfect and still look half way decent.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

Those rings have to be trimmed. I used a dremmel to trim it to the right size. A royal PITA to get it perfect and still look half way decent.

This is what i was looking for, thank you. Sucks we have to trim these down Anyone know where all the cup type things go?
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Anyone know where all the cup type things go?

They are replacements for the ball joint and tie rod dust boots. IMO they don't fit very well, I just used the stock ones.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Yea, i put them on but it like when i move the joint a little it pops off one side, it might change when i have everything back on but i dont know. i cleaned off my stock ones. i may use them on the tie rods for a while and see how they work.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
ps- plus's for everyone
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
A couple of members mentioned freezing the new bushings prior to installation, did that help? Did the dust boots stay on after everything was together or did you go with the stock ones?
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
the dust boots were junk, they dont flex enough. Every time there was movement it would pop off and grease would sploog out the side. I didnt use the ring things, not worth it. I guess pisa sells a kit you dont have to shave anyhting down and everything just works. I shoul dof went with that. Actually,, i probably would have been better off waiting and finding the stock rubber replacement parts. its nice not haveing any play in anythin up front and haveing things so tight its just i think these havent been tested enough, like the controversial grease zert thing along with where to grease and what works best. I think stock replacements would be just as fine and cheaper, and easier to install imho.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
1.the upper control arm bolt and the sleeves inside your poly that the bolt goes through ,these parts have to be really tight so that the do not move .if you got your bolts from the fiero store ,then us the hardened stell washers that it came with to take up any back and forth slop and tighten up the bolt .dont know torque settings you have to look them up .it is normal for the bolt to feel a little sloppy in the crossmember mount .this does not matter as the bolt is not supposed to rotate .
2.you are supposed to put the thick serrated washers back in the same way they came out .that is your caster adjustment .
3 .the poly should rotate in step with the control arms .grease between the poly and the inner(fixed) sleeve only.i use a grease fitting threaded into the control arm that i install so that it snugs in to a hole drilled right through the poly to the fixed sleeve .this helps to lock it properly and then you can grease without taking it apart .
4.it has taken me a few trys and after two summers i am still slowly getting rid of all the squeeks .poly is noisier than rubber .
5.if any of your innerr sleaves rotate ,they will wear out the holes in your frame .make sure they are tight .
6.lots of good info about this on the ogres cave .
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Those "rings" prevent the control arm from "sliding" on the bushing. In the picture above you dont have them installed, now if you were strong enough you could slide that control arm left to right, not a good thing. That is why those rings need to be used, to prevent that movement of the arm. They do NOT need to be trimmed, they fit this way to keep pressure on the control arm to keep it in place. Everything will fit, and it will be a tight fit, but it has to be this way. I use a 4lb hammer to get the arms in and the holes aligned, just take your time, its not that difficult with the rings.

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 08-12-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I got it all together and it feels nice. Im not to terribly strong though so i got a good workout.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2008 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
Fierology's Front Lower Poly Bushing Thread

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

Check out my restoration!

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
add some zert fittings on the control arms.Then you can greese the poly if anything ever squeeks then never hear squeaks again!

yeah lube up the poly real good.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock