WinALDL by Tinkrr
Started on: 06-19-2007 07:58 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Hammerhead on 01-27-2008 09:21 PM
Tinkrr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
I downloaded the latest ver of WINALDL (1.09f) after making up a cable and successfully testing it. My laptop is a dual core 1.66 Ghz Windows XP Pro with no serial ports. I have a USB/Serial cable i use to upload and download to my GPS. when I tried my home made cable on my 85GT I couldn't get any data of any kind.

I ordered a USB OBD1 cable from OBD Diagnostics in California. Now I am able to get limited Raw Data ( MW2, PROMIDA,PROMIDB,RAW IAC, RAW CT) no sensor data, no Flag data, and no error codes.

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 06-19-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Only thing I can think of is,try useing a flux brush and clean the crud off the fiero data port.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

James Bond 007

8868 posts
Member since Dec 2002
double post....

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-19-2007).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
Thanks James Bond 007

I did spray the port with contact cleaner. No difference.

I'll give the brush a try.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You might try borrowing an old laptop with a serial port to see if the computer is the issue. Or get one off ebay. They go for less than $100. I used a home made cable with an old PII-233mhz running Windows XP and it worked fine. (Xp takes up almost the whole harddrive...)
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone else have trouble with the datalogger recording any speed data other than 42MPH???

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'00 HD 1200XL Sportster -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinkrr:

... I am able to get limited Raw Data ( MW2, PROMIDA,PROMIDB,RAW IAC, RAW CT) no sensor data, no Flag data, and no error codes.

any ideas?

Fiero ECMs (at least some years) put out limited data when in normal (not ALDL) mode. Have you verified that the 10 K resistor (required to put the ECM into ALDL mode) is in place across the appropriate pins on the ALDL connector? Are you sure you have selected the correct ECM type in WinALDL? Remember, the ECM in the '85 V6 Fiero is different than later years.

Finally, you may want to try a different brand of USB-to-RS232 adapter. Some will work just fine with WinALDL, while some won't. Data on the Fiero ALDL port is at a very non-standard rate of 160 bits per second. WinALDL automatically sets the proper baud rate when it runs, but not all USB-to-RS232 adapters are capable of operating at 160 bps.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-20-2007).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
James Bond 007
Tried the brush on the ALDL Port No Difference still no Sensor Data

Marvin McInnis
I'm not using an USB to RS232 Adapter I'm using a dedicated USB ALDL OBD1 cable with built in 10K ohm resistor.
http://www.aldlcable.com/sc...s.asp?item=aldlobd1u
There is no difference in the data received irrespective of whether the resistor is in or out. The resistor does drop the idle speed a couple of hundred RPM when placed accross the A and B contacts.

I have Win ALDL configuration set to : 1985 2.8L MPI and all the other settings are at their default values. I have changed each value one at a time through their entire range with no change to the data I receive.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 06-20-2007).]

Hammerhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HammerheadSend a Private Message to HammerheadDirect Link to This Post
How did you resolve the issue with the 1985 Fiero? I have made the serial connection wire and only have see the first two lines of data in the RAW data screen and no sensor data when connected to my 1985 Fiero GT.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
You might try choosing different ECMs from the dropdown and see what happens, the first time I connected I was only getting limited data, once I got the right ECM selected I had no more problems.

Rich
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

You might try choosing different ECMs from the dropdown and see what happens, the first time I connected I was only getting limited data, once I got the right ECM selected I had no more problems.

Rich

I agree with this idea. Also I would try with and without the 10K ohm resistor. For some reason the 85 ECM can transmit data with and without the resistor. I and several others have verified this but some noticed limited data one way or another.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
I'm just like Tinkrr...but would be interested on this issue, too. (no hi-jacking intended)

I downloaded the WinALDL off this site and my lap-top connected. I have Windows Vista. Anyways, I have the pin cable connected to an adapter to the USB serial port.
I tried this on my old 87 GT and I was told it had a hypertech "street-runner" chip. Does this require the stock chip to work?

Really, I didn't have a chance to try the stock chip because the car was scrapped after.

fierogt28
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Most likely its either not in the correct diagnostic mode (i.e. the stuff about the 10k ohm resistor) or you are using the wrong ECM mask. Try some different ones (non-Fiero 2.8 ECM settings may work) to see if maybe the Fiero definition is just incomplete.
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
I tried every ECM type I tried every possible configuration ( made up a spread sheet so I would not miss or duplicate any), Bought a lap top with a serial port , tested my cable successfully following the proceedure on the WINALDL site. I borrowed a known working OBD1-2 Data Scanner. NO DIFFERENCE

The cable I made, the Cable I bought are in a box. I gave up "great droplets of pee upon it"

I'm begining to believe I have an ECM data out problem it runs well so I'm through messing with it.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 01-27-2008).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I use the 1227170 ecm setting on my 88gt and my 85gt with the cable I made and works for both.

Sounds like you have verified everything so you might have a ecm problem.. If your getting some data then the pull up power for the transistor sounds like it is working.

Did the cable(s) you have tried have the external power connection or just get the power from the computer?
IE the difference between the two drawings on the Winaldl site.
Hammerhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HammerheadSend a Private Message to HammerheadDirect Link to This Post
Well every thing works fine when the wires are connected to the proper terminals. For some unknown reason I was connecting the wires on the wrong terminals on the ALDL, corrected wire connection at ALDL. I did not connect the 10K ohm resistor as Jefrysuko suggested. I am also using USB to serial cable on my lap top with Windows XP. I then used 1227170 ecm for my 85GT. All is now working as it should.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock