Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Had a shop install Poly up front, squeeky as hell (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Had a shop install Poly up front, squeeky as hell by connecticutFIERO
Started on: 05-16-2007 08:56 AM
Replies: 45
Last post by: tjm4fun on 01-14-2008 06:12 PM
BIGG_SEXXY

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BIGG_SEXXYClick Here to visit BIGG_SEXXY's HomePageSend a Private Message to BIGG_SEXXYDirect Link to This Post
So Im going to bring this thread up back from the dead because I am about to install polly all around my car, front and back. But Im not doing the installation myself. I am hiring a mechanic. Now Is their anything I want to tell the mechanic to pay extra attention to when hes doing the installation?

------------------
(>-_-)> A signature Is suppose to be in here? <(-_-< )

IP: Logged
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Be sure that the old shells if re-used are clean and smooth.
Get extra teflon grease with the bushings, the stuff they sell is really a very sticky thick grease, and have him use it liberally on the sleeve, the poly bushing outer and inner races and coat the center bushing outside before sliding it in.
the extra $ for the extra grease tubes is well worth it!
Also have him lube the sides of the poly and the brackets before sliding them into place.
be liberal with the grease, rather than stingy. 2+ years, going thru 3rd winter in the NE, daily driver, all poly all around, and not one squeek.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 01-13-2008).]

BIGG_SEXXY

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BIGG_SEXXYClick Here to visit BIGG_SEXXY's HomePageSend a Private Message to BIGG_SEXXYDirect Link to This Post
Alright, exactly what I needed to hear. I will be sure to tell that to him or her. Thanx a bunch!

-Tom
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I got thinking about this last night.

Does the zert protrude into the bushing, preventing it from moving freely? If it does, as I thing it would, (in my head anyway), maybe a groove could be machined in the bushing itself, both to clear the zert, and allow the grease to spread easier on the outer surface, along with the inner sruface of the bushing. This way the grease would inter the zert, follow the groove, and outwards, then also throught the drilled hole, to the inner surface. Anyone follow what I'm trying to say? This seems like an excellent idea to me, to be able to keep them bushings greased.

Kevin

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That would hold true if the bushing freely rotated within the stock bushing shell.
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
there was a lot of discussion on whether or not it rotates in the outter shell.
I have emailed the largest maker of them multiple times, they can;t seem to reply.
discussions of the rotational element of a pont around a fulcrum seem to say it will only rotate consistantly on the inner bushing, as that would require the least amount of force, but being a floating bearing, that may or may not be the case in reality.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock