Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Rear Cradle Bolt Spins (with a good pic!) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Rear Cradle Bolt Spins (with a good pic!) by Saxman
Started on: 05-09-2007 10:52 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: arte444 on 07-25-2008 10:51 AM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
OK - I have been all over the forum and found lots and lots of threads regarding removing the notorious spinning rear cradle bolt. I tried everything including removing the other three bolts and let the cradle down so all the pressure is on the spinning nut after PB Blasting the entire thing.

It was nice that Pontiac put some small holes in the frame right where the bolt is - I can actually see right through the fender well hold-down screw hole and watch the spinning little bastard.

Anyway, I found that it is also possible to go through the back of the frame rail without removing the bumper - via the closest of the three large oval holes, but it does no good because the spinning nut is not a nut, but what looks like a friggin' thimble, so there is nothing to pry against to stop the little F'er from spinning.

Here is a clear shot of it since I went ahead and used my Dremel tool and cut a U-shaped opening and folded it up.

I got the vice grips on that bastard, but it just kept spinning when I hit the bolt with my impact wrench. I know the vice-grips I have are cheap, so I will pick up a set tomorrow and hope for the best.

I PB's just the bottom edge of the "thimble" again to let it soak good overnight. I have to get it out of there because Prism-Bluegt is coming over Saturday to take the body away.

I welcome any suggestions. Perhaps a little heat will help? Any way to get the vice-grips to bite? Any new curse words I can use while I am PO'd?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
try the good real visegrips, (I have the real ones and various imitations, there is really no comparison, the real ones are harder jawed and tighter clamping) if they don;t work then use heat. sometimes a small good quality pipewrench will work too. you got the idea, it;s just a matter of the correct amount of persuasion!

as for additinal 4 letter workds, I find it helpful to string them together, the longer you can go without repeatingis definately related to the level of frustration.
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

......as for additinal 4 letter workds, I find it helpful to string them together, the longer you can go without repeatingis definately related to the level of frustration.

Just don't forget to take a nice deep breath.. that way you can string alot of those words together to let the offending item know you really mean business....

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'00 HD 1200XL Sportster -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps I should just learn what the dad in "A Christmas Story" said when he was mad. That way, the kids don't repeat anything at school...
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Propane Torch.
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
I have the same situation on one of mine too. When i install that side, i slide a really long screw driver (anything long and skinny enough will work) in there to put a little downward pressure on it which holds it in place just enought for mr to get it threaded a little. Then i just "drop" the cradle and the weight of it is enough to keep the nut in there from spinning while you tighten it down.

Now a much better way i did it before. I drilled a few hole around the big hole the bolt slide into. The used a long screwdriver again to put downward force on it, then welded the nut to the cradle using the small holes i drilled. Worked until i had to tighten them all the way, my welder at the time was VERY cheap and the welds just snapped. But i know have a good welder and will be doing it again.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. I'll report back in tomorrow night...
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Direct Link to This Post
Propane torch seconded! Heat the hell out of the witches hat and the bolt shall be FREED!

------------------
carpe diem

SPRING GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SPRING GUYSend a Private Message to SPRING GUYDirect Link to This Post
HEAT! It work great for geting any bolts loose, I work on seized suspensions every day on all types of vehichles. The tourch is my best freind!
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
After I got mine out (insert long compound cuss word), I replaced them with 1/2" grade 8 bolts, locking nuts and washers. Much easier to get them off now, especially since I did the flap opening like you did.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
If the vicegrips doesn't work try using a pipe wrench.

A pipe wrench is made to grab onto a round object.

In my toolbox I have three different sizes, I've used them on plumbing too.

Here's a pic of the three I have, work great in your situation, use the biggest you can.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 05-10-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I've always relied on profanity and beer. Works everytime sorta.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
If the heat on the nut thing doesn't work, well, heat it some more.

If that doean't work still, try drilling a hole from the bottom up through the spinning nut thing. Then put a screwdriver, bolt, rod, or whatever strong dowel device in there to keep it from spinning.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
got a welder? I just did this a few days ago. I used an air chisel to remove the metal surrounding the nut. The nut is supposed to be somewhat free moving so you can replace the cradle. Since I welded the nut, they obviously don't move anymore. If this poses a problem, I can chisel out my welds. I made them as small as possible.

if you don't have a welder, get one. Just for the coolness factor.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 FORMULA-ZZ3 HSR
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

I have the same situation on one of mine too. When i install that side, i slide a really long screw driver (anything long and skinny enough will work) in there to put a little downward pressure on it which holds it in place just enought for mr to get it threaded a little. Then i just "drop" the cradle and the weight of it is enough to keep the nut in there from spinning while you tighten it down.

Now a much better way i did it before. I drilled a few hole around the big hole the bolt slide into. The used a long screwdriver again to put downward force on it, then welded the nut to the cradle using the small holes i drilled. Worked until i had to tighten them all the way, my welder at the time was VERY cheap and the welds just snapped. But i know have a good welder and will be doing it again.

This method has never failed me on numerous occasions.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Got it off! I had to use a good vice-grip and it finally let loose.

Thanks for the help! My cherry is popped - I have removed my first cradle...

The standing-in-the-engine-bay photo will follow soon.
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
damn!! i wanted to help!!! lol my method uses a real good vice grip and a crappy cheapo one..heres what really works hehe...clamp the good one on the work...urwin is the best brand btw (or its older pred.) but anyway clamp the good ones on the work then clamp the crap hole ones on the butt of the good ones..the screw part you know, then twist the hell out of that screw!!! dont worry if it an urwin it wont be damaged at all! even mustard man couldent twist it enough to hurt a grade 8 urwin screw stud!..it works every time!!!! 100% satifaction garenteed or il eat my urwin!!!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I just went through my second cradle drop - and BOTH bolts started spinning.

Thanks again for all the help. I feel like an old pro at this now...
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
if you make a tack weld to hold it then when you get it out break the weld off with a chizzle.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If it dont come off in 5 mins, out comes the torch and in go new stainless bolts. I dont waste time messing around with them. Ive seen guys fight with them for days....for what.
pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

That’s like a must! I have pulled more engines then i care to count and you just cat resist the urge to "Fred Flintstone" it!

PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post

The standing in the engine bay photo is mandatory Andrew!

------------------

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
OK, as soon as the cradle is all the way out, I'll post the pic.

I don't know how I missed it last time. Now that my hard drive died, I may never get those pics back...
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-23-2007 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

if you make a tack weld to hold it then when you get it out break the weld off with a chizzle.

Small dab of epoxy perhaps?

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
On a side note, if you have a good "Vise-Grip" hang onto it...

The true Vise-Grip has been made in DeWitt Nebraska since it's creation many years ago.
Then Urwin bought Vise-Grip out but continued to make them in Nebraska and somewhere else.
Now they are soon closing the production side of the Nebraska plant and moving all parts production of Vise-Grips to China and other places. They will only be assembled in Nebraska......

So sorry to say, don't expect them to be as good product in the future....

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-23-2007).]

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post
Use a Map gas not Propane, Map is much hotter.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero: The standing in the engine bay photo is mandatory Andrew!

OK, here it is - my ugly mug in the engine bay. It's tough to hit the time-delay on the camera, duck under the car and stand - all withing 7 seconds (with my big azz). Should I send it in to "Am I Hot or Not.com"?

I finally got that bastard-of-a-cradle out. The top of the strut assembly was hanging up on a small lip (lower pic). I can't believe that was enough to lift the passenger side of the cradle/engine off the dolly, but it was. I had to pry hard on it as the arm was lowered. "Sumb*tch" came to mind quite a few times.

Here's the lip that was hanging out - catching the top of the strut. You can see the shiny part 3-4 inches below the bolt hole) where it kept hanging up:

bmwguru - I have pm'd a standing-in-the-engine-bay-while-shooting-the-bird photo to you for your wife. I didn't want to offend anyone with "the finger."
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice shot. You look much better than I did when I took my standing-in-the-engine-bay picture. Ah, I forget...what is plan for filling the engine bay now that it is empty?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I have a rebuilt 2.8 from that yellow '87 I used to have. It only has about 5k on it since the rebuild. Now to figure out which 88 cradle to buy.

I also have a 3800 sitting in the garage - installed on an 86 cradle, but I don't know if I have the patience for that kind of work right now.

BTW - I look better after my uninstall because I am much younger, right?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero: Nice shot. You look much better than I did when I took my standing-in-the-engine-bay picture. Ah, I forget...what is plan for filling the engine bay now that it is empty?

I never got to see your cradle-pose. Care to post?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
We need to start us a thread of members and their friends standing inside our engine bays. Like a 'Badge of Honor' so to speak. Been there, done that, and I can prove it!
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

The true Vise-Grip has been made in DeWitt Nebraska since it's creation many years ago.
Then Urwin bought Vise-Grip out but continued to make them in Nebraska and somewhere else.
Now they are soon closing the production side of the Nebraska plant and moving all parts production of Vise-Grips to China and other places. They will only be assembled in Nebraska......

We'll have to check them for Lead
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I'll keep them out of my kids' mouths, then!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Saxman how tall are you? I would have to stand on a ladder to see over the top of my tail lights. I'll get a shot of me standing inside mine tomorrow and post it in General Chat "Engine Bay Pic's" Now would be a good time to replace your fuel pump. Just as sure as you don't, it'll go out after 15 min's of running time. I'm gonna pull my tank tomorrow to fix the fuel gauge sending unit. I have about 2 hours on a new fuel pump.

I had my starter rebuilt the other day because it is so easy to get to while the engine is out of the car. The man at the starter rebuild shop said it was on it's way out when he opened it up.
Joe
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I already started a thread at https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068352.html

Thanks!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by josef644: Saxman how tall are you? I would have to stand on a ladder to see over the top of my tail lights. I'll get a shot of me standing inside mine tomorrow and post it in General Chat "Engine Bay Pic's" Now would be a good time to replace your fuel pump. Just as sure as you don't, it'll go out after 15 min's of running time. I'm gonna pull my tank tomorrow to fix the fuel gauge sending unit. I have about 2 hours on a new fuel pump.

I had my starter rebuilt the other day because it is so easy to get to while the engine is out of the car. The man at the starter rebuild shop said it was on it's way out when he opened it up. Joe

I'll definitely check the fuel pump and the starter. I think one of those is fairly new to the Formula, so I may transfer it over.

Yup - I'm too damn tall to find clothes that fit! I don't know how I didn't knock the car off the jacks trying to run under that thing!

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 11-23-2007).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

That's a real shame! This country has gone to hell. It won't be long before you won't be able to get a decent product AT ALL here. All because of corporate GREED.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

China scorecard:
1) Bolts not up to grade. The *aircraft* industry had several failures because they were marked a higher grade than they were. They no longer use imported bolts.
2) Poison pet food.
3) Poison pet food - again.
4) Tires that blow out.
5) Poison toothpaste. Contains the same toxic that's found in anti-freeze.
6) More poison toothpaste. Combined with toothbrushes so that it could be imported as "toothbrushes", to get rid of the poison toothpaste!
7) Toys made of lead. Imported by Mattel.
8) Toys with lead paint & small magnets that can kill children if swallowed. Imported by Fisher Price.
9) Poison pet food - the third time.
10) Poison children's paint sets - sold at Toys R Us.
11) Bugs in candy bars.
12) More (nearly a million recalled) Mattel toys with lead paint.
13) Flip-Flops at wallmart that cause a rash.
14) 1 million baby cribs recalled after 3 children die.
15) About 1.5 million Thomas the tank engine toys.
16) "Play Yards" with strings that strangle children.
17) Happy Giddy Garden toys that - you guessed it - contain lead.
18) Purple haloween pails from Dollar Stores that contain lead.
19) Disney Winnie the Pooh dolls that contain lead.
20) Bead kits that contain lead.
21) Hell there's so many on the news every night I can't write them down fast enough! FAR more than I've listed here.

Made in China: NOT gonna' buy ya'.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post

BTW - I look better after my uninstall because I am much younger, right?

I never got to see your cradle-pose. Care to post?

Younger may be part of the reason. If I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. The other reason is that it was about 100 degrees in the garage and I had the door closed so the MSG commander on the base wouldn't have a stroke if he saw what i was doing in my garage. I am very thoughtful that way.

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Base housing - ahh, the good old days! Lots of garage space! NOT! The base auto skills center is always a good/cheap place to work, though. Bolling has a paint booth I need to take advantage of before I retire.

I could sure use some 100 degree weather now. It's freezing out in the garage!

I need to find an old hotel heater/AC to install in my garage. I have the perfect place for it...
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

That Fiero makes your butt look big....

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 11-24-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay