skeleton repair by rwills7
Started on: 04-27-2007 10:55 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: topcat on 08-23-2008 02:06 PM
rwills7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwills7Send a Private Message to rwills7Direct Link to This Post
anyone had any luck repairing the plastic skeleton under console and shifter plate? mine is broken in 4 places
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
too bad , i'm too far i have one and don't know what to do with it .
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes I touched mine up with JB weld. If it's completely broke you can always add a little glass cloth on the out of the way side. Worked great for me.

JB works well for broke out screw holes also.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-28-2007).]

AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Yes I touched mine up with JB weld. If it's completely broke you can always add a little glass cloth on the out of the way side. Worked great for me.

How does that work? Assuming I dont have the pieces to put it back together.

[This message has been edited by AP2k (edited 04-28-2007).]

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post
I'm not sure how they work, but I've seen "plastic welders" in Harbor Frieght's catalog before. I used some small plastic rod and a butane torch to repair some automotive ductwork before, and it worked great. Almost like doing lead body filling.

If you need a console skeleton, I have two spares that are in good shape, but I'm not totally sure how to ship them safely. I'm sure I could rig up a way if needed, it just might take a day or two. If you need one, PM me, or shoot me an email.

------------------
Nic

Beware the toes you step on today, for they may be attached to the ass you must kiss tomorrow.

Proud member of MIDWEST FIEROS!

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I didn't see that you where missing pieces.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-28-2007 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

The PO in one of mine broke *every* screw hole in the dash, but for the most part the pieces are still 'attached'.. How do you use the epoxy whithout messing up the threads? Or do you just lay it down, not worry about them and tap it out afterwards?
88formulaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulamanSend a Private Message to 88formulamanDirect Link to This Post
i'm making center console skeletons out of aluminum, i use the front and back pieces from the original piece and make the center part with nut plates to screw everything down. the i make new angle brackets for the radio mounts if you need those too. i really haven't advertised doin it much, i been trying to get my car back together.

center piece is $225 plus shipping
i'm working on getting some cores so i can swap them out for people, so for now you send me your broken one and i'll cut it down and mount up the center piece
here is the radio piece

the two radio pieces are $100 for the pair
i'll do the whole set up $275 plus shipping (wont be to much since its in 3 smaller pieces)
these make the center section rock solid and will last forever
thanks

------------------
Glenn Lintemuth
A&P Mechanic
Colorado Springs, CO
88' Convertible "BeyondGT"
88' GT, white 5speed
89' K-5 Blazer on 44's
04' Silverado Ext Z71 on 33's

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formulaman:

i'm making center console skeletons out of aluminum, i use the front and back pieces from the original piece and make the center part with nut plates to screw everything down. the i make new angle brackets for the radio mounts if you need those too. i really haven't advertised doin it much, i been trying to get my car back together.

center piece is $225 plus shipping
i'm working on getting some cores so i can swap them out for people, so for now you send me your broken one and i'll cut it down and mount up the center piece
here is the radio piece

the two radio pieces are $100 for the pair
i'll do the whole set up $275 plus shipping (wont be to much since its in 3 smaller pieces)
these make the center section rock solid and will last forever
thanks

You kick ass!!!!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That aluminum skeleton is nice!

I think the formula for the 88 skeletons must have changed (for the better) because both of mine in ny 88s were in perfect condition, no broken holes anywhere. When I converted my GT to the Firebird interior I didn't need the skeleton and sold it on eBay. I'm going to have another one here soon that I don't need.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I've used JB Weld in repairs Just how bad are the broken pieces. I have glued many pieces together. As far as screw holes, screwing in bolt/screw will carve in new threads.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I've replaced broken hole lobes with JB weld. I scuffed th surface of the sleleton real good with sandpaper, then used tape to make a dam to hold the JB weld in. Then I filled the dam with JB weld and put a screw in the middle - where I wanted a hole.

Worked great, and to this day is holding fine. It has been five years since I did the repair.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock