Started on: 01-17-2007 06:05 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: JimEK on 07-05-2008 12:29 PM
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
DOHC swapped '87 notchie.

I have seen people use the curved CRX cold air intakes, but wondering if this one will work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just dont really like the curved one, i think the curves really mess with the "flow" and make it stand out and such...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero already has a very good air intake. I assume that air intake thingy would place a cone filter in the engine bay? That's not something you want.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I had the CRX and it worked nicely and sounded very awesome.

I doubt that straight one will fit though. It would be a cr*p shoot IMHO

Good luck

Arn
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
well, i am hoping the straight one will put the filter behind the rear quarter like the curved one does...
I am going to see if i can find some pictures of both kits actually on a honda, i figure if the filter is in the same place at the end, it should work??
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

SLOWnSTEADY

1706 posts
Member since Jul 2005
OK, the straight pipe kit puts the filter in the same location on the CRX as the curved pipe does, so wouldnt that put it in the same place on the fiero? (behind the rear quarter)

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
your forgetting one thing - the torsion spring and ribbing for the decklid, unless you plan on re-engineering that part just to have a straight tube

------------------
Former West Coast Fiero Employee

New and Pre-Owned Auto Sales Consultant
Power Ford Valencia

SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
N/M just seen a pic of it installed. After looking at that pic, will the curved one even work on a DOHC swap?

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 01-17-2007).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
the stock fiero intake will not supply enough air for the dohc, so I think you might be able to get the usualy style crx intake on, but IDK about this one.
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

the stock fiero intake will not supply enough air for the dohc

HUH? it is more than enough to deliver the difference in CFM
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
i dont have any intake right now, so it dont really matter either way. Im jus tryin to make sure i buy a CAI that will work with the DOHC.
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkDirect Link to This Post
My friend has an exhaust shop and he made me a nice and shiny one for 40$ tapped and all I may have him start making them and marketing them for the stock engines and if I could see someone elses DOHC I would have him make them for that application as well... and market for 75$ shipped to your door and I dunno about the cost of the filter cause my little K&N cone filter was almost the same price as the custom tube... but it happens
PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:

HUH? it is more than enough to deliver the difference in CFM

well, I had read this, and according to him, the stock intake wasn't cutting it.

http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/m...ws/intake/index.html

Tuned Short Runner Intake project for the Fiero DOHC
the K&N filter is not a conceit...I'd be the last to throw one on for looks.
They are loud, they attract attention, they look dumb. They hurt my ears.
If you use science to determine how you should make these decisions, like
making some runs with Diacom, for instance, and measuring your vacuum at
WOT, you might be able to prove whether you really do have any restriction
up at say, 6000 RPM which might be causing you some power loss. With this intake,
you worry about power losses at 6000 RPM and above, believe me. I was seeing
30 or 29 Hg dropping down to 28 or 27Hg when this motor was stock. When I put the
intake on, it got worse, down to 25Hg at WOT and 6000+ RPM. This was actually
good news!! Why? The intake was doing it's job: sucking more air at higher RPMs.
The Fiero air cleaner and water separator had finally shown their weak side. Fully
adequate for a 2.8L pushrod motor, they restrict the air a motor like this can pull.

I put a K&N filter on it, and not ONLY did my pants seat feel better, I could measure
(MEASURE--folks) a good 30-29Hg at WOT at 7000+ RPM.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

well, I had read this, and according to him, the stock intake wasn't cutting it.

http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/m...ws/intake/index.html

That's not a stock DOHC. You see his dyno charts?

I think with the water seperator removed and the restriction cut out of the stock Fiero intake it should do just fine on a stock DOHC likw SLOWnSTEADY is running.

ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jax184:

The Fiero already has a very good air intake. I assume that air intake thingy would place a cone filter in the engine bay? That's not something you want.

Thats Not A Very Good Reply ....

1 It Doesnt Put It In The Bay
2 This Thing Gets Way Better Flow Than Stock ....All You Have To Do Is Look At The New Piece Compared To The Old Pieces...I Have No Numbers However ...One Of Us Fellows With The Crx Intake Should Get On This lol

------------------
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Chilliwack Fieros
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
removing the water/sound baffle on the stock fiero helps a little
but for my HP goals a change was necessary
this was a first fabrication on the guinnea pig car.

I used a 3" 45 deg alum tube and a common size K & N filter
total cost was $ 90 CDN and 1 hr

this setup puts a 3" diameter pipe in the stock location

view from the inner drivers side

almost the same view showing the inner panel replaced

------------------

GT just waiting for the conversion
84 Fiero Turbo Vortec 4300 Phantom GT
L35 block, Syclone Intake and ECM
T31 turbine with T04B S3 compressor
super T61 waiting for next winter
www.cardomain.com/id/vortecfiero
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I know of at least one 300+hp v8 Fiero that used the stock air breather successfully.

The water separator can be removed and it should perform as well as the DOHC needs.

As for looks and sound, the CRX is way better. BTW, the CRX does not run hot as was stated in some other threads. The only downside to it is that you have to get at the filter through the wheel well to clean it.

I wouldn' t really hesitate to use one again. I see it as a bit of an upgrade, and I think it flows a little better. IMHO.

Arn
JimEK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimEKClick Here to visit JimEK's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimEKDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JimEK (edited 07-05-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock