Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Headlights in turn signal light location? Need wiring help.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Headlights in turn signal light location? Need wiring help. by S-toon
Started on: 01-10-2007 01:34 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: jscott1 on 08-26-2008 07:58 PM
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonDirect Link to This Post
I found a website, http://members.cox.net/fiero/ , where a Fiero owner put the camaro headlights where the turn signal lights are at.

Here is his discription.
1997 Camaro Headlights Relocated to the Stock Parking Light Location. They appear stock and fit perfectly into the parking light openings. The size of the Camaro headlights is identical to the original parking lights. They have 3 screws that can fully adjust the angle of the light. They provide more light than the stock headlights

Can someone help me out whit the wiring here, like what is all that I will need for this to work. What I am thinking is have the original lights still working. Kind of like just running power to the new headlights and having another switch to operate the new headlight mod. Im guessing he only has the low beams working unless they are like the fieros headlights that have low and high beam. But don't the headlights from the Camaroes (93-97) come in pairs, 2 for low beams and 2 for high beam?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fiamma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the wiring answer, but I have thought of doing this with
the driving lights that the auto parts stores sell. What has kept
me from going this route is the location is not legal, it's too low,
at least in california. Otherwise I really like the idea and the look.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I personally would keep your stock lights and add driveing lights in the location you want.Some budy correct me if Im wrong,but the wireing for the headligs are 2+ hot (1 is for high beam and the other is for low beam).Both hot wires share 1 ground.You can probubly patch into the headlighs,with out cutting any wires or you might consider an 87-88 Fiero upgrade,see Ogres Cave,above).
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
You could buy a install kit for a set of fog/driving lights and use a relay setup. The wiring diagram for that is printed in the instructions in the installation kit and includes all of the parts you'll need for the install, except for the headlight connector which you would need from a donor Camaro. I believe that the headlights are single filament headlights, so you don't need to worry about the dual filament setup.

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 01-10-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
What did I miss, where would you put the turn signal.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
Didn't HotRod Mag do something like this with a 84 or 85 where the black blisters on the front bumper lifter up like an Olds Trofeo and had a dual light setup?
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The 3 relay diagram may help you out using those headlights, to operate the signal as well.

These are eurolight 3 in one lights, Same as roadboy at princess auto now.
- The only problem is adjusting for both lights, but I set the fog lights to work properly, and when I want the extra light I turn on the spot lights.
- Also I suggest putting on a set of plastic glass protector, as both my lenses have cracked recently.
- I purchased a set for replacing these and plan on putting the glass protector on, but I temporarily mounted them as slim popups until I decide to look for some good slim projector lamps to use as popups as after putting these lights in I felt the old stockers were useless.

The fog pattern gives a nice broad low lighting
The spot helps fill in the distance when very dark.

Replaced front signal lights with fog/driving and spot lights lights
- closer to being flush with the bumper
- using relays to use one as daytime driving light as well as signal light (fog light)
- ran power from battery ,used signal as triger for relay
see link in sig for a better writeup on the fog/driving lights

Here in alberta we are allowed to have clear/white front signal lights

To accomplish my goal I had to use 4 relays, of which 3 of them had to be the 5-pin style.
-One of the relays was used to turn the spot light on and off.
-The other 3 5-pin ralays were utilized to work the fog light and signal light function.
- One switched power between two input wires going to both the other relays, powered by a switch.
- The other 2 determined which wire the relay used to power the fog light, switched from the signal light circuit.

Here is a relay diagram for using the fog lights as signal lights and daytime driving lights

Note I removed the old signal light, and used a digital signal flasher as well as making led side marker lights.
front side markers must be changed, or keep signal bulb hidden under headlight to keep the proper load. and side marker working

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

http://www3.telus.net/1988_Fiero_GT/1988_FIERO_GT.html

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
nice job Daniel

------------------

Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Tell me you are an electrical engineer! Nobody could figure that out without lots of study. Good job.
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
Not an Electrical engineer, However I am in school going towards a Geomatics Engineering degree (to become a land surveyor). My highest marks were in the introduction to electrical engineering classes (needes 1 or 2 classes from each engineering discipline, first two years everyone had the same courses).

What got me thinking about the above relay setup is the three way switches in houses.
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonDirect Link to This Post
I would like to thank everyone for their input on this.

Daniel, your detailed explanation and diagram will help me out alot.
First of all I think I am going to check with the local authorities to see if what I'm trying to do is legall. Then I will continue on with the project. If not then I think I will be trying to get a reccesed headlight kit like the one kris munson sells.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
oh yay! this thread isnt that old! i can post a bump!

BUMP!

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel:

The 3 relay diagram may help you out using those headlights, to operate the signal as well.

Nice diagram and very helpful....but next time you do a drawing like this it's customary to have the power come in on the top and the grounds on the bottom.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock