Question about door window mechanism by Doc John
Started on: 12-31-2007 06:02 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: shawnkfl on 01-01-2008 06:02 PM
Doc John

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
The passenger side power window motor in my car died a while ago, and I finally ran out of reasons to procrastinate further, so I replaced it yesterday. The car came with manual windows, and I converted them to VPA power windows 12-15 years ago. As long as I have the inner door panel off, I thought it might be a good idea to lube up the lift mechanism (the last time they were lubed was late 1985).

Any suggestions as to what type of grease to use? Anything I should avoid?

THANKS!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
prizm-bluegt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prizm-bluegtSend a Private Message to prizm-bluegtDirect Link to This Post
I always used white grease on mine. Haven't had any problems.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
If you've got everything apart use a white lithium spray first to get into all the joints, then smear thicker universal grease on all the tracks & everything else where parts contact.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.
Doc John

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

I took both of your suggestions: spray white lithium grease followed by heavy grease in/on the tracks. Motor effort is noticeably reduced, apparantly these need to be greased every couple of decades or so!
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
mine were so gummed up, the track wheels wouldn't spin. i had to really work them to get them to frre up. now the motor doesn't work so hard. i used a graphite paste on mine after freeing them up and cleaning the tracks.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock