Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  best engine paint to look like aluminum?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

best engine paint to look like aluminum? by ktthecarguy
Started on: 12-29-2007 01:41 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: DIY_Stu on 12-29-2007 02:50 PM
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,
Can you recommend the best engine paint to look like plain aluminum? I am cleaning up my duke intake manifold, and I want it to look like new.

Please indicate brand and paint code, if possible.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
For a reasonable look of a cast aluminum finish, rustoleum high temp BBQ paint, silver.

here's a sample (the water pump is cast aluminum, unpainted. the alt bracket and the top ac bracket are both painted, so you can see how it compares to fresh clean cast:

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Duplicolor also makes paint in Aluminum, Cast Iron, Gold anodized (like brake boosters, door latch assby, etc), Its in with the engine paints.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Autozone:
High Temperature Engine Paint
Dupli-Color
Aluminum DE1615 (printed on the front of the cap in large letters,look for the silver cap first,under high temperature engine paint)
Engine enamel Ceramic

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Autozone:
High Temperature Engine Paint
Dupli-Color
Aluminum DE1615 (printed on the front of the cap in large letters,look for the silver cap first,under high temperature engine paint)
Engine enamel Ceramic

Here is my Getrag after using this same exact paint:
Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkDirect Link to This Post
On something as simple as an intake manifold you might to go a little higher tech. Try this...
http://www.motostorm.com/gpage21.html
I have used the Alumifec and also Motorstorm's Chrome paint as well. The only key to their application is getting the surface as smooth and level as possible. They are very convincing effects. I did an air clearner for the kid down the road and it looked like billet aluminum when I was done.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I use Plasti-kote high temp engine enamel.
207 - Aluminum

Here is a lower intake painted with it.

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I used Duplicolor High Heat Engine Enamel with Ceramic From O'Reilleys PN: DH 1606 High Heat Aluminum and the crap looked like spray paint Chrome. So don't use it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock