Door locks and Handle help by bmaxbox
Started on: 12-28-2007 11:08 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: bmaxbox on 12-28-2007 09:03 PM
bmaxbox

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
I just got my new handle and locks yesterday and I'm wanting to put them in. Does anyone know what I'm going to have to do?
I think i have to take the interior part of the door out, and the exterior.?? Is this right? And if thats true do you guys have any instructions or tips for doing this. maybe some old threads? THANKS!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
I searched and i think i have to remove the outer panel to replace the handle. But since I'm just replacing the handle on the passenger side I might be able to replace the lock on the driverside without taking the outer panel off.
Any comments?
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Here are a couple of excellent threads from fierohoho that are invaluable when doing anything with the doors.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-028780.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-028815.html

Rich
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You should NOT have to remove the outer pannel only the inner.
Just have the glass all the way up.
Be prepared to beat your hands up..!
Remove the inner pannel and water shield.
The handle is held on with two 10mm cap nuts. If you have a socke with a swivel it helps a lot.
The rod is held onto the handle arm with a little metal clip you have to also remove, then remove the two nuts and work the handle out while unhooking the rod.
The lock will also come out the inside. You again have to remove a clip to get the rod off.
The lock assy. is held on with a forked clip that has to be pulled out and can be very tight. Once you have it out the lock just pulls out.
This is what the pass. side looks like inside the door.

This is what the clip looks like once out.

You hole to the left of the lock is one of the handle stud holes where the handle nut is.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-28-2007).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I think you should be able to replace the parts by removeing the outer door panels.As for the drivers side lock,you will need to remove the outer door panel,because there is a thin C shaped clip (inside) holding the lock to the door.The hard part is removeing the plastic Torx screws around the edge of the doors,they tend to strip out,so make sure your useing a tight fitting Torx bit.If you have a curved wrench you can remove the 2 nuts to the the base of the side mirror by pulling on the ruber molding to get to the base of the mirror.Don't worrie if you drop the nuts in the door,you can use a magnet attached to a coat hanger to fish them out or remove them later when you have the outer door panels off.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to take the outer skin off to change the handles or locks.
In fact you have to take the handles off TO get the outer skin off. You don't have to mess with the skin at all....
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
Alright. I'll take the inner door panel off soon and see what I can do.
Thanks for the pictures and help! I'm sure I'll be back asking some more questions. haha
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

You don't have to take the outer skin off to change the handles or locks.
In fact you have to take the handles off TO get the outer skin off. You don't have to mess with the skin at all....

You do NOT have to take the handle off to pull the outer door skins. I just had both of mine off when I was doing a big door refurb winter project and both the outer door handle and the lock stay attached to the outer door skin when you remove it, you just have to unclip the rod for the lock, the rod for the handle just pulls out of the hole it normally sits in when you lift the door skin. This is clearly shown in the thread I linked to.
Not saying you have to pull the outer skin to do the handle, just clarifying you don't have to pull the handle to remove the outer door skin. It's a toss up which way you decide to go. One thing to keep in mind if you do pull the outer door skin, plan on having to replace a couple of the special screws that hold the door skin to the door, and also the clips that hold the moulding to the door skin. You'll always lose a couple of each when doing the job.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 12-28-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

You do NOT have to take the handle off to pull the outer door skins. I just had both of mine off when I was doing a big door refurb winter project and both the outer door handle and the lock stay attached to the outer door skin when you remove it, you just have to unclip the rod for the lock, the rod for the handle just pulls out of the hole it normally sits in when you lift the door skin. This is clearly shown in the thread I linked to.
Not saying you have to pull the outer skin to do the handle, just clarifying you don't have to pull the handle to remove the outer door skin. It's a toss up which way you decide to go. One thing to keep in mind if you do pull the outer door skin, plan on having to replace a couple of the special screws that hold the door skin to the door, and also the clips that hold the moulding to the door skin. You'll always lose a couple of each when doing the job.
Rich

YOu are right! I forgot the parts I pictured above do come out with the skin....but you can still change the parts he wants to without removing the skin and saving breaking the trim parts. Even if it is a pain...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I will need to do this too, my handle is broke off on one side so you have to apply pressure kinda funny to the handle to get it to open the door.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
It's very common for the wire pivots on the handle to break and the handle gets floppy so you have to push down on the handle while you pull to open...
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
So I would need to pull off the inner panel to fix that too.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes.
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I'm almost done. This was a peace of cake. knock on wood.
I just did the handle right now but the lock seems like it will be okay too. With my small 16 year old hands i can get in there and move around. I just need the handle right now i'll do the locks when i put my power locks in. Thanks for your help.
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post

bmaxbox

514 posts
Member since Jan 2007
I finished awhile ago. handle works even better because I rerouted the lever it pulls. Its more direct and has less movement. I should of took a picture of it but i forgot all about it. I greased the locking mechanism as best as i could and i think it closes allot better.

I don't think the locks will be that bad. looks pretty easy. The inner door panel came off with ease. All the plastic tabs that go into the door all were there and it doesn't even look like I fooled with it.
I also took off my stupid white stripe that was on half of my car (converting 84 to GT Fastback) so it was only on my hood and roof and made it look retarded. It peeled some paint at two places but i don't care because once springs hits I'm Painting.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock