anyone know what this is under the dash by chevyfany2k
Started on: 12-27-2007 09:22 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Raydar on 12-27-2007 02:18 PM
chevyfany2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyfany2kSend a Private Message to chevyfany2kDirect Link to This Post
hi, i just took the bottom of the dash off and notice this hanging down with 2 wires disconected i am not sure if i should hook them backup or not, below is the picture i know my fiero does have a viper car alarm installed so wondering if thats part of it

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
It appears to be some type of aftermarket relay. Does your car have an alarm or automatic start?
projectformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for projectformulaSend a Private Message to projectformulaDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it might be for the starter kill for the alarm.
chevyfany2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyfany2kSend a Private Message to chevyfany2kDirect Link to This Post
ok thanks guys thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure(new to fiero's) i was looking to see what the problem was with my gauge lights not working and seen that , guy i got the car from is sending me the remote for it so once i get that then i hook the viper alarm back up
jack
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chevyfany2k:
... gauge lights not working...

...is usually caused by a loose connection. Read on...

Between the steering column and the center console, you will find a heat sink with a big metal diamond-shaped transistor screwed to it.
Remove the whole assembly and unplug the harness connector.
The problem is usually caused by a poor connection where the pins on the back of the transistor plug into the socket on the heat sink.
You can unscrew it, unplug it and clean the pins, or just dab a bit of solder (rosin-core only) on the pins, where the socket "grabs" them.

If you take it apart, be sure to retain the clear insulator.
Otherwise, you'll have a direct short to ground and you'll let the magic smoke out.
If you have any computer CPU "thermal paste", you can wipe off all the white heat sink compound and use a small dab of the paste on both sides of the insulator. A very thin layer is best. Don't use too much.
Otherwise, just put it back together and don't disturb the white stuff any more than you have to.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock