Started on: 12-19-2007 07:53 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: jscott1 on 12-21-2007 09:09 PM
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Whose got em? Anyone got pics of them with stock springs all around just lowered in the front? My nose has always ridden high (I've been told all 88s do) and when I took out the spare and jack to make the steering lighter and to save some wieght it got worse. I am coming into a small amount of cash from a family member for christmas (only like $100 or so) and all money from here out goes into my 3800SC fund but I really want to get the Rodney Ball Joints (1" drop) to make my car look good for the few month interum period where I save every dime I can find to get an L67 in by the 25th. SO how hard are they to put in, can I run them with stock everything else, and again PICS! thanks!

I had member "Leppy_99" at my house with his 87GT and with the nice low nose almost even with the rear it looks a 100 times better than my car

Mine
http://i149.photobucket.com...o/Fiero/DSCN1632.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com...ro/Fiero/MrPBody.jpg

Link
http://www.rodneydickman.com/88DropBallJoint.html
yeah I just saw I need the $28+ end links, do I have to buy those or will the adjustable energy suspension ones they sell at autozone work
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
IIRC LZeitgeist has them on his Formula with stock rear springs. It sits almost the same as my Formula with Eibach front springs and regular ball joints - and it's about dead even with the rear left at stock ride height.

I don't know if the rear has sagged over time or not, but it's about the same on both of our cars.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Does it look good? Cause I am leaving the rear stock, no point in lowering something that is about right to begin with (I think the stock ride height on my rear is about right with stock tires, now when I pull a madcurl and get a set of 20's we'll talk about slamming it)
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yeah. I don't have any pics showing his car after he put them in, but the front and rear sit almost dead even. To look at it, if you didn't know 88's sit high in the front, it would just look stock. It doesn't look lowered - it just looks "right."

If they were available before I got my Eibachs, I might have used those instead, since I left my rear springs stock. (Eibachs were way too low in the back)
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, any thoughts on the end links?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You have to have different length end links, IIRC. You might try to PM LZeitgeist and see if he's got more info. I'm going from memory and don't want to steer you wrong. I do believe the different end links are required, though.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
No I know they are required, they need to be longer. But can I get away with the $14 adjustable length energy suspension end links or do I have to go with the $28 rodney ones.
grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post
I'm using Rodney's 1" lowering ball joints on the front of my 88GT with stock springs. I purchased his longer end rods as I was already rebuilding the entire front end. If it were me, you've already got to purchase the lowing ball joints from Rodney, pay him the extra $28 for what I'm sure is higher quality and guaranteed to work with these ball joints. It's a win-win because you don't have to worry about them not fitting and having to buy more, plus you encourage him to continue supporting our 20 year old cars. Here are some picts of my front end. Unfortunately, I'm not using the stock tires and wheels, but it should give you an idea of where the front sits with respect to the back wheels (coil-overs on the backs of mine).

As a warning, you should keep in mind that the lowering ball-joints can pose a problem if you intend on performing a brake upgrade. It changes the geometry so that when turning the wheels and having the front suspension under load, it is possible that deeper rotors will rub against the sholder of the lower A-arm. Mine rubbed quite a bit and almost ruined my new 12" corvette rotors. I had to bend the sholder in with a special tool (sledge hammer) to make sure I had enough clearance.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I am keeping stock wheels and stock brakes, thanks for the pics, that looks really good. I saw that if you buy 4 parts (2 ball joints and 2 tie rods) Rodney will give you 10% off and then combine shipping, so yeah I'll just buy the red poly end links when I order these. I am pretty much positive I will buy this as soon as cash permits. What does it take to install them?
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
The lowering ball joints change front end geometry. The roll center is definitely changed. I have not seen anyone who has done this that has reported back on the differences in handling.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Does it negatively affect the handling?
PFF
System Bot
MedRedGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MedRedGTSend a Private Message to MedRedGTDirect Link to This Post
After lowering my car it felt better because I knew it had a much better stance. All in my mind perhaps, but isn't that what counts? Remember to tack weld the balljoints and paint to avoid rust. 4 wheel alignment comes next. Merry Christmas
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by grsychckn:

As a warning, you should keep in mind that the lowering ball-joints can pose a problem if you intend on performing a brake upgrade. It changes the geometry so that when turning the wheels and having the front suspension under load, it is possible that deeper rotors will rub against the sholder of the lower A-arm. Mine rubbed quite a bit and almost ruined my new 12" corvette rotors. I had to bend the sholder in with a special tool (sledge hammer) to make sure I had enough clearance.

Is this where you had to bend the A-arm? Did you have to do the other side as well? I plan on doing both of these mods eventually.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock