Manual flywheel, a great find! by rmcmsw
Started on: 12-19-2007 01:56 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: jstricker on 12-20-2007 09:09 AM
rmcmsw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmswSend a Private Message to rmcmswDirect Link to This Post
Last week I went to my local "U-Pull-it" salvage yard and they had just received an 86 GT. This car looked like somthing had fallen through the windshield and that was the reason it was in the salvage yard. It had a 4-speed stick in it and I removed that and noticed that the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel were brand new. The flywheel was a performance aluminum type. On the back of it was a sticker that had, "sfi SPEC 1.1 C063034," and under the sticker, electro penciled was SFI C63034 1.1 RAM. Does anyone know if this is a neutral balanced flywheel or an external one?

The reason I'm asking is that I need the neutral type for I have an 88 engine in mine. I got the axel shafts which were new along with other things.

For all of you out there, the engine in this car has not been run! If it has, it was only briefly. The block is super clear; the water pump is bright and shiney and no grit on the gasket material sticking out from under it. The timing chain cover is spotless. It has a new alternator (the pulley is spotless). It has a power pulley on the crankshaft. In the trunk was the box for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The rear main seal looked brand new. The intake manifolds and rocker covers are powder coated black and has an MSD coil. The engine cradle as well as the a-arms, and disk brake dust shields are powder coated black. I think, but am not sure, that this is a 3.4 block. There are places for the dip-stick on both sides of the block. An aluminum plug is in one of them. Someone put a lot of money in this car and then it was wrecked. The rear main clip is in good shape as well as the rear bumper.

I can go pull off the intakes and get the block numbers but I don't want to ruin the engine if someone wants to buy it. I'd hate to see all of this get crushed. Someone put some money in this engine, etc. The axel shaft rear hubs are new as well.

It's at the Bossier City U-Auto-Pull-It on 4300 Texas Street, in East Bossier City, LA. (318-746-4646)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a fresh 3.4 to me. Don't strip it, buy the thing. It sounds like the owner did it right and probably has more work on the inside of the engine too, valve jobs, porting, etc. Snag that sucka'!

If its a 3.4, that will be a neutrally balance flywheel btw.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 12-19-2007).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
you can get it neutrally balanced - but chances are - it is already
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
If you end up wanting to sell the flywheel, let me know. I have an 88 flywheel as well if your interested.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
PM sent to you about the motor
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The non-zero balanced flywheels are fairly obvious because they have a counterweight on the engine side of the flywheel and an alignment pin or some such in the crank bolt pattern that allows it to be installed only one way.
rmcmsw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmswSend a Private Message to rmcmswDirect Link to This Post
I was able to confirm that the flywheel is for the neutral balanced crankshafts. This was a great deal. I paid $30 for a new Borg-Beck pressure plate, clutch disk, and this RAM flywheel. The Fiero Gods have finally smiled on me after owning one for 22 years. I got the rebuilt 4-speed trans. for $35.00.
P.S.Sorry, but the flywheel won't be for sale.
Thanks for all your inputs.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I have an extra Neutral Balance flywheel I'm not going to use. PM me an offer. It's ready to run. We had it in the race car and now that motor is gone.

John Stricker

Originally posted by AutoTech:

If you end up wanting to sell the flywheel, let me know. I have an 88 flywheel as well if your interested.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock