Few interior questions. by Ravant
Started on: 12-19-2007 11:40 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Brastic on 12-22-2007 10:58 PM
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantDirect Link to This Post
Alright - I've got the coolant-in-the-tranny thing sorted out. Have a good friend of mine taking care of it as I type. I know, I know, "It's not worth dumping money into the stock components when you're replacing most of them with a swap anyway." Maybe not for some people, but it beats having to buy a whole new commuter car while I work on the other parts on the '88 engine cradle. It's cheaper.

Anyway - on to the reason I'm temporarily going to use the Fiero as my daily driver. My '96 Monte needs more mechanical work than it's worth. It'd be cheaper to get a '99 Z34 with under 50,000 miles than to fully repair this one. So - this one is destined for the scrap yard, but not before I cannibalize it for all it's worth and part it out down to the unibody chassis.

Now - on to the reason I'm posting this. The sound system in the Monte works beautifully. Stock head unit, while having some lights out, will be a definite improvement over the current head unit. It's an AC-Delco CD-player unit. Now - how much would an adapter be to get this unit into the Fiero? Also, how hard would it be/how much custom-fabrication would it take to get the 6x9's from my Monte into the Fiero in the dash? If it's not possible, that's fine. The stock speakers in the Fiero still work fine. Lastly - what size are the headrest speakers?

This one is more electrical/electromechanical than interior, and I'm sorry for that. How hard is rebuilding one of the old headlight motors, assuming I bought the kit?

Lastly, I need to replace a few indicator bulbs in my gauge cluster. I've seen two or three different options for bulbs/led's around the 'net. What would everyone recommend? (The high-beam indicator, right turn signal indicator, and one of the back-lights are blown out.)

This is all that's left (non-mechanically) in order to get the vehicle road-worthy and comfortable enough to be a daily driver until I really tear into the car with my swap and make it my fun car. By the time that's done, I should already have gotten my hands on a '99 Monte Z34 or a '00+ Monte SS, so no worries on it all lasting forever.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
This has good info on adapting that radio:
http://replacementradios.co...dex.php?cPath=22_260
You'll need a wiring adapter for sure, different numbers of pins on the connectors.

6x9's won't fit in the Fiero, especially not in the dash, pop off your front grilles and see why.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I've got 6x9's in my fieros dash. Its a job but not bad. I had to remove the dash and do a little cutting and filling of the hvac ducting but they fit and are mounted.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
there is a LOT of info on speaker replacements in the archives using SEARCH. I know for sure that other members have installed the 6 x 9 s and posted about it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Its basically not worth the work it takes to put 6x9's in in my opinion. You technically could put many sizes in if you fabbed up things and cut things out of the way.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-19-2007).]

Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantDirect Link to This Post
Well - the amount of time taken for such little gain of using stock late-model Monte Carlo speakers isn't worth it, as I've found, and if I'm going to put speakers in, might as well get new 4x10's for the amount of work needed. Thanks for the response on the 6x9 issue.

As for the head unit - thank you for the link to the adapters. Helped end my search real quick.

Though - no one has a recommendation of any non-stock bulbs to use for the blown gauge/indicator bulbs? Or should I just stick with the 194/194LL? Also - what's the difference between 194 and 194LL, searched, but couldn't find it.
Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
LL = Long Life.?.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Yep, LL = Long Life and they usually come in a red package (Walmart has some of these).

Eclipse makes 4 x 10s that sound really good. I think pioneer also makes 4 x 10s.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-22-2007).]

Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses. Helps me out a lot. Think I'm gonna go with the Pioneer speakers, then, seeing as I've had other pioneers in the past with little to no problem. Do they also make decent 3.5" speakers?
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
It turns out that just about any change of the speakers is going to make a major difference in sound quality. The OEM Fiero speakers were not good for the day and the paper is now almost able to legally drink.

First you need to start here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081643.html

Video on how to replace the rear speakers
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087595.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock